Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

EDC

Posted by styx 
Re: EDC
April 16, 2017 06:14AM
chad234

Stephan- that grip looks cool, is that handle treatment and the anodized spacers stock?

Yep - stock Benchmade Griptilian 551-1304 Camp Perry Edition 2013 D2

[scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
April 16, 2017 02:13PM
FFG native looks like a handy, and quite tactical blade shape.
April 17, 2017 05:04AM
chad234
FFG native looks like a handy, and quite tactical blade shape.

I initially purchased the 2013 and 2015 forum knife editions of the Native 5 as collectibles, but ended up carrying the maroon lightweight (2015) quite a bit.

Really like the form on these. They are quite stout compared to domething like the UKPK, but still carry well and make a handy edc. The swedge does give it a bit of a tactical look, but I imagine it should provide some functional benefit in piercing and by reducing drag in deep cuts. In terms of overall tacticool-ness, the 5 is greatly toned down from the profile of the Native 4, which was saber/hollow ground with a much more pronouced swedge.

-Nate
April 27, 2017 03:56PM
Today:
cKc
April 28, 2017 06:02AM
stefan_wolf
chad234

Stephan- that grip looks cool, is that handle treatment and the anodized spacers stock?

Yep - stock Benchmade Griptilian 551-1304 Camp Perry Edition 2013 D2

[scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net]

I have the same knife 1/1000 too (because they all are). .that is the only weird thing on the knife to put 1/1000 meaning this is one of a batch of 1000, rather than taking the effort to actually number them. smiling smiley

Its a really nice knife. I like the rigidity of it over the plastic version. and mine is currently unused, but is piping sharp from the factory which is nice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
May 01, 2017 03:18PM
Pretty excited about my Lefty PM2 that just landed. Goes nicely with the lefty Military smiling smiley:

-Nate
May 01, 2017 03:31PM
PM2 ranks among the best EDC knives for my uses. Have you seen the Casey Lynch clip?
May 01, 2017 03:58PM
Yes, I've seen them but don't a have a Lynch or other deep carry clip yet. Now that I have a "proper" PM2 I may have to make that happen though. thumbs up

Btw, what is the pen in your pic above? I just kind of dipped my toe in the tactical pen mkt with a couple of Zebra F-701's off Amazon.

-Nate
May 01, 2017 05:01PM

I prefer the Lynch clip over stock. Deeper carry, but more importantly greater in hand comfort. The stock click dug into my palm at just the wrong angle, the Lynch solved that. Downside is speed of deployment is a bit slower, as you'd expect from deep carry clip.

Pen from prior post is a Pelikan 605, filled with Noodler's ink Zhivago. Fine nib. This pen has written thousands of pages of notes. Ink reserve is excellent. Pen in today's post is a Parker 51, fine nib, Noodler's black contract ink. I have a few pens left in my collection (I used to be a semi-serious fountain pen collector), all are users and I think the Pelikan 600 series and the old P51 are the best balanced of any pens. I prefer them to the 800 or 1000 sized pens...
May 01, 2017 05:13PM
I like the Lynch clip, but mine hasn't gotten much looser with time.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
May 01, 2017 05:40PM
Thanks for the info Chad, but I was actually referring to the one to the left of the Pelikan, unless that's not pen after all? Looks like titanium?

We'll see how it goes with the clip. I've traditiinally carried most of my clipped folders in my rf pocket despite being left handed for a few reasons, one of which it that it's nice to not have the clip facing my palm. If I end up noticing it a lot, that will be another reason to look at the Lynch clip. I hasn't bothered me much so far on the couple of knives I've switched to lefty carry in the past though, namely the g10 Manix2 and UKPK.

-Nate
May 01, 2017 06:04PM
Oh sorry- real pens have nine, not ball points smiling smiley so the pen-like almost writing sorta implement is a Boker.

Mainly for last resort use, good for travel when I can't carry an actual weapon. For court use (very strict security) a stainless Sharpie is about as good as you can get, thought he Zebra would be fine too...
May 01, 2017 06:18PM
Haha, you sound like my buddy. He's got a decent group of fountain pens and has tried to get me into them, but as a lefty I've always been dubious about how well they would work for me.

I like the Zebra 701's for the deep carry clip and because it conveniently fits in the spiral on my planner, but I was also aurprised by how stout the steel is on them. I imagine it would definitely be better than nothing as some sort of last ditch option.

-Nate
May 01, 2017 06:25PM
chad234,
Do you think a Zebra 301 will work also? I am asking because I hear the Zebra mentioned in this role often, and most people I see carry the 301 series which is mostly metal but does have a hunk of plastic for the grip. Or do you think the all metal version like the 401 and 501 should be used?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
May 29, 2017 10:14AM

Cheers from Nag's Head, NC!

& Drinking beers from Costa Rica... lol.

-Nate
May 29, 2017 10:21AM
Nate,
Awesome! Are you there on business or pleasure? Both?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
May 29, 2017 10:27AM
Pure pleasure man, arrived yesterday afternoon and here all week. thumbs up

Still can't stop cruising the knife forums, but why not, we're all relaxing here. smiling smiley

-Nate
May 29, 2017 10:46AM
Looks fun!
May 29, 2017 02:05PM
Fun... nice pic as well.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
May 30, 2017 09:47AM
Thx guys.

Here's another one via my wife. She just used her Ladybug to make chicken salad b/c the other knives here are really that bad:

[www.instagram.com]

-Nate
May 31, 2017 09:14PM
[scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.net]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
JDW
July 31, 2017 12:00AM

Trying out the (reground) Bug. It is pretty capable for many of my day-to-day cutting tasks. The Lil'Nilakka has proven to work very well for me!
August 01, 2017 08:41PM
Both look like capable little blades, and easy to carry. Won't raise an eyebrow either.
August 03, 2017 08:52AM
JDW

Trying out the (reground) Bug. It is pretty capable for many of my day-to-day cutting tasks. The Lil'Nilakka has proven to work very well for me!

I really like the look of the Lil'Nilakka.

For edc, small knives rock.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
August 04, 2017 05:46PM
Current EDC:

No different than normal, other than the knife. The Tatanka periodically gets switched out with my Emerson Commander.

From left to right:

-Surefire E2D

-Queen Gunstock Jack (don't like this knife very much)

-Leatherman Wave

-Wallet

-Keys

Love the E2D as a daily carry light, but it does have some deficiencies. Pressing the momentary on button alternates the light between high and low. This is a nice feature, but it makes it annoying to get the light to low if you don't want to strobe yourself. Also means you can't momentarily have the light on high.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
August 05, 2017 02:44AM
That's some sweet gear for sure. Lotta steel. So you carry any of this sheaths or is it all pocket carry?
August 05, 2017 07:12AM
Chad: The Wave sometimes goes in a sheath if I am wearing slacks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
September 07, 2017 10:34AM

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
September 07, 2017 10:50AM
Sweet knife. I have the serrated version, but I've been considering getting the plain edged one for my next purchase. I think it's one of Spyderco's better all-around designs.
September 07, 2017 12:26PM
Today:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login