Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

YouTube catch all thread.

Posted by Old Spice 
YouTube catch all thread.
July 13, 2013 11:26PM
I keep finding interesting videos on YouTube, but hate making a new thread for each one. I figure I could just dump them here.

Filleting a flat fish.
video: [www.youtube.com]
Re: YouTube catch all thread.
July 16, 2013 12:30PM
July 16, 2013 05:49PM
I bet whale is delicious.

July 16, 2013 06:31PM
Old Spice
I bet whale is delicious.

That is a neat video. The Japanese seem to have a reverence for the food they eat. Much more respect for the animal than in North American culture.

And yes it looks tasty.
July 16, 2013 09:33PM
I disagree, their method might be considered ritualistic. But there is no anthropomorphism, reverence or sentimentality in the process. They are performing a job with out concern for anything except the quality of work.
July 17, 2013 12:24AM
Watching these videos I suddenly feel the urge to git some bacon

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
zujostix (Youtube)
July 17, 2013 12:03PM
I don't think you can completely remove reverence, or at least respect/empathy from Ikejime as for example modern techniques are focused on the most "humane" way to kill a fish which it itself an example of anthropomorphism as it implies that fish have the same rights that humans do in this regard. Not everyone agrees with this perspective and which many people note is a foolish concept as you are going to directly kill and eat it. It certainly isn't applied uniformly to animals, very few people for example consider humane ways to kill insects and in general any pest animal.

The most amusing thing about YT fish video's is that you can always count on a number of people complaining about lack of perfection in the fillet and wasted flesh on the bones, and/or that it is very slow.
July 17, 2013 02:10PM
Catch these out of the aqueducts.

July 17, 2013 03:25PM
He did a nice job on that fish. Not wasteful nor does it take forever.
July 17, 2013 09:06PM
July 21, 2013 11:43PM
July 21, 2013 11:44PM

Who dares wins

This guys technique for sharpening full sized butcher knives with a smallish hand held ceramic plate is worth a watch.
His comment about not being impressed with "commercial hunting knives" is interesting too.
July 21, 2013 11:50PM
Not convinced he is getting it that sharp, his demo is printer paper. Also "sustenance hunter" + Tommy Hilfiger shirt lol.
July 22, 2013 07:37PM
The comments say he's a butcher, which is probably why he favors the trade / boning knife over something like a drop point hunter. I'm thinking of buying a few trade knives in the future for my kitchen; mostly as they are cheap and (seem to be) versatile + have great handles that are designed to be used for hours on end and easily sterilized.
July 22, 2013 09:35PM
July 22, 2013 10:15PM
I wonder if you could get this much meat off a similar sized person.

July 22, 2013 11:01PM
July 23, 2013 10:10PM
Whoops, apologies Old Spice, I mistook your thread title as a "anything goes" one rather than a fishy themed one.

Love the vids, I would like to taste whale meat too even though it is not PC where I live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2013 10:13PM by MarkNZ.
July 23, 2013 10:12PM
It actually is an anything goes thread. Its good pun considering all fish videos, but you can share any video you would like here.
July 26, 2013 10:06PM
July 27, 2013 12:20AM
[www.youtube.com]

What would a knife made out of it be like?
July 27, 2013 12:26AM
Not worth the cost.
July 27, 2013 12:35AM
At close to 800£ an ounce (until we can harvest it from asteroids) it may be impractical but so is making handles out of gold and covering them in gemstones and people are buying those.
July 27, 2013 02:07AM
Yes but your question was how would it perform, and the answer is not week enough to justify the cost of making it. it would be super neat to have though.
cKc
July 27, 2013 05:45PM
MarkNZ

Who dares wins

This guys technique for sharpening full sized butcher knives with a smallish hand held ceramic plate is worth a watch.
His comment about not being impressed with "commercial hunting knives" is interesting too.

The Victorinox Boning knife is a good design. I like using it. His comments about keeping a careful eye on his fingertips is interesting as this could all be solved by gluing a small base to it, which lowers the fingers under the plate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
July 27, 2013 11:16PM
Dude, how do you expect to totally impress any chicks if the process isn't inherently dangerous.
July 28, 2013 12:53PM
Looks like he missed over an inch of the tip..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2013 12:53PM by noneck180.
July 28, 2013 04:16PM

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
July 29, 2013 11:46PM
Chum

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
July 30, 2013 12:01AM
This is a no hippie zone chum, take those smelly, matted dreadlocks, those gross socks with Birkenstock's, crowd somewhere else.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login