Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Home Defense?

Posted by Chum 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Home Defense?
March 12, 2012 04:54PM
Don't have a gun? Too squeamish to defend yourself with a knife? No worries. Now you can defend your castle with this attractive and politically correct furniture ensemble...

Re: Home Defense?
March 12, 2012 08:13PM
Not too fond of the concept.

Maybe that's because I have a trunk full of edged weapons including a practice sword, two long bayonets, a rond steel shield, the CS Magnum Kukri Machete, and lot of other stuff. And maybe also because I have one infantry saber on the side of my bed and one cavalry saber a few feets away. Maybe that's mainly cause I live in one flat amongst many, with only one main room divided in two, and the toilets.
March 15, 2012 07:08PM
Chloroform, its awesome… when they wake up you have them tied up and you get to recreate the pawn shop scene from pulp fiction but this time Bruce Willis' character doesn't escape to save the other guy.
March 15, 2012 08:16PM
Old Spice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chloroform, its awesome… when they wake up you
> have them tied up and you get to recreate the pawn
> shop scene from pulp fiction but this time Bruce
> Willis' character doesn't escape to save the other
> guy.

Very creepy Old Spice.
March 21, 2012 02:36AM
Really, think your table can stand up to this :

March 22, 2012 06:30AM
I could leave some cheese on the table and defeat that...

And thats only if it gets past the stairs on my porch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 06:34AM by Old Spice.
March 22, 2012 04:47PM
Oh man, you guys are cruel.
March 22, 2012 08:01PM
Careful, he is a purple belt in Ameri-do-te :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 12:06AM by CliffStamp.
March 23, 2012 11:30AM
Compact, cheap, and looks like some cuts might be extremely nasty, without endangering the life of the intruder: the sickle.

March 23, 2012 08:16PM
I would put money on the sickle servering limbs completely. No way you wouldn't risk killing someone using that to attack them.
March 28, 2012 12:45PM
Wouldn't it just be easier to shoot the bastard? Oh well I sleep with a knife anyway
March 31, 2012 04:34AM
I live in building where there is a centralization vides+cameras security wich have got more than 1 blind spot. In my house I have 6 pieces of combo, motion & magnet alarm system... Operating independently & individually with batteries. There is no way to get in my house, without been noticed. The motion & magnet alarm system make noise so loud, that the only way to not hear that you must be dead. The good thing about is each earthquake "even very small" on the middle of the night..they go off. Earthquake is a much more real scenario in my case.
April 04, 2012 10:24PM
Zukima, krav maga, self defense... Enough for me... If i have to learn more i'll look for the martialist !the finger smiley
April 05, 2012 12:02AM
GorillaTacticthe finger smiley

__________________________________________________________________________________

A man is never too weak or too wounded to fight if the cause is greater than his own life.

---Doctore Oenomaus, in Spartacus---
April 05, 2012 08:41AM
AHAHAHAHAHA !!! how can you defend anything when you can't pass thru your own door !!! the finger smiley
April 05, 2012 03:57PM
How the hell do you lead a guerilla war in limited space?

GroGuik, you know Krav Maga? I'm thinking of picking it up, any advice on what to look for when choosing a gym or club?
April 06, 2012 01:09AM
Hey Styx, krav maga is great way of defending yourself ! But i can just tell you to try some clubs.in France, they allow you to try one or two lessons before you pay and join the club, try some and make your own opinion of which is the best... There also is a lot of other way to learn, there are many dojos and discipline, Vo vietnam, vo thuat, mma, if you prefer to fight and the classics one, muay thai, kick boxing, pancrase... You can check on youtube some guys like Bas Rutten who is a great pancrase and ufc fighter, he has a video called lethal street fighting, and some others like the big dvd of combat. I love this guy...
In France there is a guy which name is Richard Douieb, he is a great Krav maga instructor, he teachs to the gign, a police squad like the swat, how to defend and fight, krav Maga style.
April 06, 2012 10:35AM
I'm looking at Krav Maga and similar things like MCMAP. The classical stuff is not my thing really and I do have to be a bit careful because of old injuries that left a mark. So something practical is the way to go for me.

And I know Bas Rutten. Wasted a lot of time watching his old fights
April 06, 2012 11:58AM
do you know systema ? it's got some very good selfdefense skills...i always wanted to try but clubs propposing this are too expensive for me...
April 07, 2012 09:00AM
Yea I know it. It's based on fluid motions of the body. Nice thing to know if you can afford the clubs. Even finding them is hard
June 30, 2012 01:08AM
CliffStamp
Really, think your table can stand up to this

Can this guy be real? He seems both too perfect and too damn derivative: he's lwhat you'd get if Eric Cartman and The Simpson's Comic Book Guy had a baby and educated it by showing it Napoleon Dynamite again and again.

I had similar thoughts about this:

video: [www.youtube.com]

(Which I resisted adding to the European Sword vs Katana thread in case people thought it was a dig at katanaites - a rare example of personal tact.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 01:10AM by thiswayup.
June 30, 2012 01:15AM
Next you will be telling me McClung really isn't a CIA rocket scientist hitman on the run from Russian mafia warlords.
June 30, 2012 01:20AM
I'm glad this thread has been revived a bit. Maybe you guys would like the table defense idea if it were a little more stylish? Think Leg Lamp from a Christmas Story...

June 30, 2012 01:26AM
styx
How the hell do you lead a guerilla war in limited space?

GroGuik, you know Krav Maga? I'm thinking of picking it up, any advice on what to look for when choosing a gym or club?

I'd suggest one that teaches another martial art.

I did KM back when it was called Ju Jitsu - the moves are exactly the same, right down to the certain-death stupidest-thing-possible "knife defenses" (based on the knifee guy always using the clumsy overhand technique people never really use) and idiotic defend-against-front-strangle-with-hip-throw-sequence. It's nothing but "green moves" - i.e. stuff designed to make money for the teacher/school but which doesn't really work. And please don't refer to "Israeli military proven etc" - the Israelis are notable for turning up to knife fights with tanks!
June 30, 2012 09:26AM
Well my first choice would be Sambo, but I've had a few too many injuries for it. Next choice would be McMAP, but it's taught only to Marines.

The thing about KM is that unlike a lot of other things that are rather easy to find is that it is practical. As you said most teachers won't teach you jack, just get money out of you. And that whole Israeli proven thing does absolutely nothing for me
June 30, 2012 02:24PM
styx
The thing about KM is that unlike a lot of other things that are rather easy to find is that it is practical.

It markets as practical, but that's a very different thing to being practical. It uses all the classic tricks of bullshido martial arts. The knife defenses are, quite honestly, criminal - practising against opponents who behave more or less as stupidly as possible to build a false sense of confidence and put money in the instructor's pocket while you learn useless bs. Realistic knife survival training is terrifying - you use paper overalls and a marker, and your opponent is encouraged to do whatever works instead of behaving to a set pattern. You soon learn that an effective defense is almost impossible.

I was told recently by someone who works as a bouncer that Karl Tanswell's "STAB" is the closest thing to a working knife defense system:

Amusing quote:

"He also addresses the issue of people who lose sight of their initial intentions. In particular, the guys who believe you must learn how to attack with a knife before you can defend against one (a valid point) but end up becoming obsessed with esoteric knife vs knife systems, amassing huge collection of blades and "having discussions on internet forums about where to conceal them in your combat trousers".

- I think we've all met this guy!
June 30, 2012 07:33PM
It happens that I know someone that was involved two times in real knife figths. Once as the attacker, once as the victim. Every time he was drunk and violent, which made him commit the first, and relatively successfuly "win" the second. As an attacker, he used a very simple SAK knife, in only one surprise descending cut from the collarbone to the wrist, but the guy went to the hospital for one month, and if he didn't had headphones, his jugular artery would probably have been severed. One cut, with a 3.5" blade.

As the victim, he got into a verbal fight with some kind of jackass, and probably after name calling on mothers, the guy drew a cheap switchblade. I have to say he person I know had in his vest a large hunting bowie, but he decided not to draw it, and kept on the fight with fists. I didn't had much details about the fight itself, but after having tried to slash the person I know (who happened to be wearing a leather jacket that protected him) the jackass fell to the ground, and stabbed the person I know right in the knee. Then he got the real shit beaten out of him, I've been told he was completly unrecognizable, and even though it was in a large street in Paris, nobody moved for neither of them. So the person I know left with his trousers drenched in blood and still completly drunk, while the other fist difigured guy was trying to find help.

Everytime, only one or two knife hits were involved, everytime with relatively horrific results. I don't believe you can efficiently train against knife attacks if there isn't the fear of getting killed and huge adrenaline release in such an extremely stressfull situation. I think everything "learned" in self defense class are merely simulations. I remember of an oriental martial art master who went in bars and insulted the strongest and most violent looking guys to fight then and improve his skills in real life situations with real opponents (not "Now George your the rapist, and your comming behind his back from this dark alley. Well, it's a well lit open room, the floor's covered with mats, and there is no surprise at all, but we'll pretend"winking smiley. Yes, it does take balls of steel to do that, but I think only with this kind of philosophy can one train properly in self defense. Everything else should never be taken too seriously.
July 01, 2012 06:04AM
Well I'm not looking at knife fighting in any way. Been there, done that and as soon as a knife comes out, everyone loses.
July 01, 2012 03:36PM
styx
Well I'm not looking at knife fighting in any way. Been there, done that and as soon as a knife comes out, everyone loses.

I'd suggest that a martial art that encourages people to have confidence in suicidal knife defenses is probably bs-ing them in other ways too. I could go throw the insane standard mall-jujitsu defense against front strangles that km teaches as well if you like - but I don't want to be borish so unless you're interested I'll shut up.
July 02, 2012 10:28AM
I'm interested. As simple as that. I've trained Tae-Kwon-Do before and it wasn't for me. Not real practical. Then by luck I've gotten a chance to train with members of a SWAT equivalent and that was good and fun.

Now I really don't believe in knife fights, just in knife attacks and getting shanked. I got lucky that the jackasses were drunk as hell so that slowed 'em down.
Couldn't elaborate yesterday because I was running off to a gig