Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Books: Series, authors and stand alones.

Posted by fervens 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Books: Series, authors and stand alones.
June 15, 2014 05:26AM
So i'm about to go on a trip to Canada. Home of the cold and wet according to the weather right now. And i started looking around for a new book to read on the flights. I tend to enjoy High Fantasy books so it's sometimes hard to start a new book out of nowhere. Wonder what you all are reading, have read or plan on reading.

My list so far and this doesn't include text books or reference books i like to thumb through.

Have read:
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan(and Brandon Sanderson) all 14

The Mistborn Trilogy and Elantris by Branden Sanderson

The Dark Tower series and the eyes of the dragon by Stephen King

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Hobbit by Tolkein

I will admit i read the entire Harry Potter series. Started in fifth grade and had to finish all of it.

Will read:
The Malazon Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss

Looking at John Marco and Tad Williams as well.

Your turn.
Re: Books: Series, authors and stand alones.
June 15, 2014 07:02AM
The Dresden Files by Butcher (the first book isn't bad, the second book is pretty good, if you make it to the third book you'll be hooked. The world Butcher creates for Dresden is extremely fun.)

Anything by Christopher Moore (start with You Suck for a good fast read, or go with A Dirty Job if you want to try something more in depth. Probably wouldn't start with Sacre Bleu. You need to get Moore before you can enjoy that one I think. Fool is fantastic and Lamb will never let you think of Jesus the same way. A Dirty Job is a masterpiece of comedic fantasy literature.)

Any of the Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell (this are historically based fiction. Well written imho and great at putting you in the era of the Vikings and Anglo-Saxon England. Lots of vicious battle scenes and political intrigue. I plan on reading more from Cornwell but so far have just read the Saxon Stories.)

If you like fantasy and/or King Arthur, and you haven't read The Once and Future King by T.H. White... you should.

Dan Brown sells a gazillion books for a reason. Quick and fun. They can be a little repetative. If you only read one try Angels & Demons or The Davinci Code.

I'm more into Sci-Fi than fantasy and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is must read for any Sci-fi fan.

If you enjoy sci-fi and allegory... Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I forget what the rest of the novels in the series are called but I enjoyed them all.

Dean Koontz is known as being a horror novelist, and he is, but I would classify a lot of his works as dark fantasy. I much prefer Koontz over King (although I like King.) Some of Koontz's earlier works are almost verse. Somewhere along the way I think Koontz over commited to too many projects and lost a lot of what made him great. He can tell a story and paint a picture with his extensive volcabulary, but somewhere around The Taking he lost his way. The stories were still there but the pictures... not so much. I believe he found it again in his more recent novels. If you want to try a stand alone you can't go wrong with Watchers. If you want to get into a series Odd Thomas is fantastic.

Grisham... Grisham is always great.

If you want to try something very old... The Fairy Queen, Le Morte d'Arthur, The Canterbury Tales, Beowulf (Seamus Heaney adaptation is more modern) and of course all things Shakespeare are good places to start. If you aren't used to reading old english this can be difficult material, but you'll probably get the hang of it sooner than latter. I find that I am more able to transport my mind back in time when I read the old stuff.

If you want any more suggestions let me know. Happy reading fervens!

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
June 15, 2014 11:22AM
I think other the years I've been drifting off fiction and somewhat lost interest.

Among the few I'm still reading I'd say Ellroy and Le Carré, some off them are a bit weak but they come up with masterpieces here and then.
June 15, 2014 11:58AM
Fervens don't forget the bugs. This is the worst year for Mosquitos and black flies in 30 years. Where I am anyways.

Where are you coming from and where are you going?

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
June 15, 2014 12:55PM
For high fantasy try

The Death Gate Cycle

Death Gate Cycle
June 15, 2014 07:48PM
mccullen
For high fantasy try

The Death Gate Cycle

Death Gate Cycle

Jeremy. What's your alignment?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
June 15, 2014 09:05PM
Jeremy's recommendation is good.

My favorite, by far of all time, is The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. It's just awesome.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
June 15, 2014 10:34PM
Chum,

Not sure I understand the question.
June 15, 2014 10:58PM
mccullen
Chum,

Not sure I understand the question.

You noted D&D novelists.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
June 15, 2014 11:04PM
Chum,
Bernard Cornwell looks like an interesting read. I don't normally enjoy the historical fiction stuff but those look good.

I have some debate if i want to read any or Orson Scot Card's stuff. There's some iffy aspects of his character that i'm not sure i like, but that could be more media hype than anything.

Hyperion is definately on my list now. That looks like a good enveloping read. Thanks for all the suggestions. Still have to sift through them.

Mark,
I'm going to Canmore, Alberta for 8 days. Gonna explore Banff some and the local area hopefully. It looks amazing there. I live just outside Philly and i definately packed my deet. Learned my lesson after Alaska.

Jeremy/Chum,
My friend suggested the Dragon Lance series (i believe it is) by the same writers. That definately looks like a fun read. I may start with those. Chum, apparently the dragon lance series was supposed to be the basis of d&d or something like that.
June 15, 2014 11:08PM
I just love to read. My mother was a librarian and always brought books home to me. I read Tolkien for the first time in the second grade. I read all the Tarzan series as a child. My mother did not realize that the adult theme was so strong. I will read almost any book. I studied history and geography in college, but, prefer getting lost in a good fantasy over a book like the Federalist Papers.
June 16, 2014 01:04AM
I'm headed on a trip with some family to Eastern Europe tomorrow, so I picked up some light reading for the flight there and back:

The first book is called Apostles of Reason by Molly Worthen, a book about the complicated and often contradictory nature of Evangelical Christianity in America.

The other is called The Mosaic of Christian Belief and is written by Roger E, Olson. It discusses the development of Christian Denominations and the common beliefs shared by them, as well as their differences.

I might also bring some Hunter S. Thompson with, but I'll have to see.

It sort of pains me that I am not all that into fiction beyond thriller novels, there is so much to read that I have never really put forth the effort to get into it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
June 16, 2014 02:21PM
I feel the same way with fantasy. Especially after a 14 book series. It's hard to get into something else.

Jeremy, I always loved the thought of libraries but I could never spend more than a couple minutes in one. I blame school for that
August 08, 2014 06:27AM
Been trying to hunt down a uncensored copy of "The Incal".

Eee
August 10, 2014 10:23PM
Bernard Cornwall is consistently good - for me he writes very clearly (the words flow off the page very well and passages don't need re-reading). Whilst the Sharpe books are pretty good, the Saxon, Arthurian Legend and Middle Ages ones are better.

George R R Martin's series probably need no introduction; not so clearly written, but textured and compelling stories.

As for Sci fi, The Forever War is a classic worth a read (don't bother with the sequel) and Consider Phlebas is a bit more contemporary.

My guilty vice is Lee Child's books, good stories, but the author doesn't really know his knives smiling smiley
August 14, 2014 02:34PM
Old spice, have you tried perusing uk sites? I think one of their publishers released an uncensored book version.
August 14, 2014 10:12PM
No I haven't, you wouldn't happen to have a link handy would ya?

August 14, 2014 11:59PM
No sorry. I only know if it cause of my friend. They go for a couple hundred here
August 17, 2014 02:55PM
I can't believe I let this thread slip by, and I caught you after your trips, but for future reference, here's my latest read, Worm A web-series with a lot of depth. It's set in a current day Earth if there had been superpowers emerging in people for the past 4/5 decades. While the start is perhaps just a bit better than alright, the writing soon becomes intense and somewhat dramatic. It's a completed webseries, slotted for re-editing in a couple of years, and the author has claimed it to be the lenght of 22 novels, though I'm not quite sure what he means by that.
August 27, 2014 04:41AM
That looks really interesting. I tried reading a bit of it, but had difficulty with it since i'm on a laptop. I'll have to steel my sister's tablet and give that a try. I'm also going to show it to my significant other and see how she likes it. seems right up her alley.

Don't worry abot being late, i was gonna try and turn this into a catch all bors books anyway. Speaking of which, i started reading the Malazan book of the fallen series by Steven Erikson. Amazing story and plot, but aweful dialogue and writing. I'm on book three already. He has a way of doing two to three page sections of different characters, that keeps you reading without getting bored and i just get sucked in. Epic fanstasy with magic and knights and such, fyi.
September 17, 2014 11:22PM
Just picked up First-Order Logic by raymond M. Smullyan

September 22, 2014 12:34AM
How's that one going, old spice? What made you get it?
September 22, 2014 12:56AM
Well before I left for the weekend I was able to read the first chapter which was an outline of the basics needed to progress through the various proofs and methods presented.

I got it because I was interested in logic and mathematics. Recently I was trying to write a program to gather data to compare to my own abilities. I discovered that I would need to run 52! simulations which would take the age of the universe many times over(2e42 multiplied by the age of the unviverse was a best case scenario). Anyway a good understanding of logic is important for computer science which is another hobby of mine.

September 22, 2014 11:21PM
Everyone i know lately has been jumping back into computer programming. I'm starting to feel nostalgic for my high school years. From the sounds of this book though, it's going way out of my depths. Hope you enjoy though