Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

B-Movie Reviews

Posted by CliffStamp 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: B-Movie Reviews
October 14, 2016 09:18PM
It was to dumb for me. Parody or not. Burr and Mayer were the only part worth watching.
October 29, 2016 08:33AM
Jurassic World : IMDb

The new movie or whatever. Its terrible. Not even worth breaking it down. Though in all honesty the source material is just as weak. Michael Crichton wasn't a terrible writer he was just a terrible science fiction writer.
Just beyond awful, really dinosaur as military weapons, beyond stupid. Humans don't have a problem hunting down large predators, that is why they are all near extinction. Big game hunters would rock them like no tomorrow. Or buy a couple IVCs and put down dino's even easier.

GMO dinosaurs, so dumb I'm not gonna even bother. Dino smart enough to understand and hide from thermal sensors. Can flip over heavy construction equipment with tiny Trex limbs ah no. They still think the Trex was smart. It wasn't. You know what movie all ready did the smart super predator and was just as bad. Deep blue sea. It was awful too just like this movie. Using stun weapons instead of the super morphine analogs that are near 10,000 times more potent. Not testing your non leathal weapons before hand. Someone should call Russia and let them know some of the potatoes they GMO'd for improved intelligence wrote and produced a screenplay..

Second time building park still can't secure the dinosaurs. Humans have been keeping animals penned up for thousands of years. Its not hard. Their is no real reason for them to escape. Hollywood are worst engineers, because they need simple things to fail. No actual plan to put down escaped dinos. Even though they escape all the time, and the last park failed because of it.

Corporate jargon because corporations are so evils.

The people who write schlocklike this are the folks I wish death on.

I give it one billion fails +

If I told you what I really thought about this turd Cliff would probably ban me from the forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2016 08:42AM by Old Spice.
November 02, 2017 08:17AM
Baby Driver : IMDb

Insufferable. An over blown music video synced to uninspiring visuals and dialogue, unrelenting in its assault of cliches and boredom. Featuring completely unrealistic physics defying driving and mediocre CGI. Not a single interesting character in the entire movie. One of those films that dares you walk out of the theater and then acts surprised when you request a refund at the ticket booth.

More proof critics are to be ignored.

I give it 1 suicide out of a possible lifetime of wasted potential.
Fail + to infinity.
November 03, 2017 01:02AM
Old Spice, you have a good ability to make the reader understand your utter disgust with regards to this stuff. It's great.
November 23, 2017 10:20PM
The Mist (2007) : IMDb

The Mist also known as Hindsight 20/20 the movie, and Intergalactic Invasive Species PSA. There are some things naturally wrong with the Mist in the sense of how it was constructed. CGI doesn't look good when the films are first released, and CGI certainly doesn't look good a decade later. Which makes its over use stand out even more. Though it is understandable why they had to rely on it to bring this Stephen King novella to the screen. Just far to many bizarre and other-worldly creatures to bring to life with traditional physical methods.

There are issues with the editing being sloppy between cuts. For instance one shot shows a man firing his gun, it holds long enough to show him discharge the gun and experience the recoil fully. It then cuts to a monster he was firing at, which it shows for a few moments before it is actually hit. The problem with this is there is a full second between the gun being fired and the monster being impacted. This is a jarring amount of time to wait for the monster to be hit by a bullet. The bullet should have impacted the monster in less than 10ms.

Some of the dialogue and characters motivations, behaviors, and suspicions are questionable. They don't always feel natural but slightly forced in order to present dilemmas that the author desired to explore. I would say that over all the reactions and decisions and general behaviors of the people in the movie are probably more consistent with actual humans in dire circumstances than say the Walking Dead. They trend toward cooperative the majority of the movie. Early the risk present is not understood the amount of caution they should take is not well understood. The actual mist present is quite a good plot device in hiding the imminent threats from the sense of sight that humans naturally rely on the most.

People are naturally cautious of this vision impeding weather condition. Because the risks are not well understood at this point it is understandable that a good amount of folks would be willing to venture outside the safety of the building they are hiding in. Part of this though can be contributed to two factors done for convenience in the plot. First the characters do a poor job of convincing others with physical evidence of the danger they have, second the physical evidence disappears after being interacted with. Ensuring that it can't be used to convince others of the danger present.
Which to me feels like a lazy way to force the authors desired plot development.

Eventually though the dangers outside present themselves in a sufficiently convincing way to build up enough fear to keep the remaining individuals inside their building. Resulting in them leaving the building only once for supplies not present, and a few more to escape once social order breaks down. The journey for supplies though demonstrates another issues with the pacing of the plot. Their flight or fight instinct is for some reason delayed sufficiently despite being well aware of the danger present. Delayed just enough to allow for a few more folks to die, more realistically they probably would of fled at the first sign of danger, rather than stand and stare long enough to be attacked. The screen time of characters isn't doled out in a way that allows you to conclude that they are any more likely to die though..

The movie ends with the main character escaping with some others, and trying to drive out of the mist. Eventually though they can't get any farther. Leading to the humorous mercy kill ending and again another plot convenient twist of if you had just waited a little longer. Kind of a final f-u to the audience and major surviving character, but also makes sense from the real sense of dread they have towards the monsters.

The movie and story has lots of good ideas, and presents itself in a way that doesn't damage its suspension of disbelief to much. Its hard to hate any of the characters except one, and they feel natural most of the time. The monsters are imaginative and some times other worldly as they should be. The pace of the movie keeps one from wondering to much about all the other consequences a disaster like this would have. The focus is clearly on the survival of the characters, and not on the ecology of the alien invasive species.

I give it the Old Spice family approved certification of excellence. Seriously watch it with your kids if you want them to wonder if you would ever mercy kill them.
Pass+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2017 10:23PM by Old Spice.
December 04, 2017 01:48PM
IT (2017) : IMDb
Working title: The Goonies go to Hell.

I thought when I saw this movie my major issue with it would be the child actors. I was very wrong. I will talk about them later though. This is in part because some reviewer I will leave unnamed, claimed to be a fan of Stephen King's novels and said it was a faith adaption. It was not. I should note that I reread the entire book before watching the movie in anticipation of a truly faithful adaptation of It. I can admit that it was more or less a cocaine fueled fever dream of a book. Though, I can only imagine that screenwriter for this did not read the book but instead ate it. Only later did he try to read what he left in the toilet bowl. Absolute travesty. I imagine at this point Stephen King has given up on ever have one of his books brought faithfully to the silver screen. Instead playing along with Hollywood because he wants the paycheck but understands they are simply to incompetent to correctly adapt a book.

I don't think a single line of dialogue was used from the book except for the opening were Pennywise talks to Georgie. The majority of the backstories for each child was changed drastically. The entire framework of the story was more less changed to fit the three acts 2 hour turd format Hollywood demands of its schlock. Lots of conflicts between the kids that never happened was added to it. They even put in a montage of them getting angry and splitting up for a bit during the summer, vomit inducing. It can't even be called an overhaul of the story, it was just a complete cut of their characters and psychology, and mysticism from the book. Bev's father was not sexually abusive until Pennywise more or less possessed him. He was very physically abusive though, but in the movie he is far less physically threatening. Ben did not provide the exposition on the town. Mike did later as an adult in charge of the library. Ben discovered/recalled the ritual of Chud. Frankly they ruined all the characters and ignored their development and origins entirely. The loser club (Mike specifically) did not kill Henry as kids. The kids were more or less united the entire time with little to no internal strife. All the conflict was external with the epicenter being It.

Their encounters with the monsters are not only incorrect from the books timeline. Most of the monsters were changed or omitted entirely. Also Pennywise appears far to often. Usually parts of his form would intermingle with the monsters. But he would not appear completely as Pennywise to the kids. Pennywise was just one of the monsters that happens to be memorable. It was not all about Pennywise. I mean they got the monsters almost entirely wrong almost all of the time. Pennywise does a strangle Jacob's ladder shaking marionette puppet movements because I guess that scares people. They also skipped over and ignored his true form, as well as all the deadlights stuff, and extra dimensional psychedelic stuff, the turtle, the other, the ritual of Chud, and the spatial distortions in the old house. They turned the impressive ending of the book in a short lame brawl. They removed everything that made the book interesting. I mean I can understand leaving out the train. However they more or less wrote this thing like hey its a clown who kills kids, and then the Goonies fight him.

Generally anything from the book was done in a wink wink, you read the book and get this two second camera pause or two words of dialogue. Their appearance is almost done in the manner of a pop-culture cutaway gag reference as if this wasn't an adaptation of the book but another horror movie entirely. Really it felt like being teased, an acerbic finger to the fans of the book. In short if I was to list everything they changed from the source material I would be left with a review as long as the book.

Child actors are awful. They can't act. Though when they are like 6 or under they work okay because their imagination makes them really believe their is a monster present in that green screen room. Sort of mini method actors if the director knows what they are doing. Anyway I was so distracted by them changing everything that I didn't even have time to notice how bad the child actors were.

If this wasn't an adaptation of a book then I could say hey The Goonies go to Hell was an not a complete was of time to watch. But it is an adaptation, except it didn't adapt anything beyond a clown that kills and some kids that they may have as well renamed. Since their names and basic appearance were pretty much the only thing they didn't change about them.

Also the CGI wasn't awful, though it was to obvious during the rock fight scene. You could tell they were standing behind a green screen. You could tell the rocks were CGI. Also the monsters had that CGI plastic texture to them. Though the other visual enhancements done with the CGI are probably not noticeable to the average viewer.
Stephen King isn't a horror writer in my opinion he writes light hearted fantasy entertainment. Its not going to be as respected as real literature but its fun to read. This movie wasn't fun to watch though.

If you have't read the book you can watch it and enjoy it probably with out realizing how much it stinks. Its not a badly made film, and Skarsgard did a good job as Pennywise. Its just horrible adaptation of an ok book.
If you have read the book be ready for some extreme disappointment.

I always thought the real horror of It was not from scaring kids with monsters but the adults of the town fearing the deaths of their children. I know the real horror now is what Hollywood screen writers can do to a man's legacy.

One giant cosmic horror spider fail out of 10 Hollywood screenwriters.

I'm doing a review of that Ender's Game movie that came out a few years ago after I read the book. I think you know what to expect from that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 02:05PM by Old Spice.
December 04, 2017 11:40PM
Old Spice
Child actors are awful. They can't act. Though when they are like 6 or under they work okay because their imagination makes them really believe their is a monster present in that green screen room. Sort of mini method actors if the director knows what they are doing. Anyway I was so distracted by them changing everything that I didn't even have time to notice how bad the child actors were.

I thought the kids in Stranger Things were pretty good for the most part.

Old Spice
I'm doing a review of that Ender's Game movie that came out a few years ago after I read the book. I think you know what to expect from that.

I haven't seen the movie but I loved the book... it has been awhile since I have read it but that is my recollection. If you give the movie a positive review I'll check it out.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
December 04, 2017 11:44PM
Chum
Old Spice

I thought the kids in Stranger Things were pretty good for the most part.

I mean compared to other child actors sure. But to a real standard not really.

Chum
Old Spice

I haven't seen the movie but I loved the book... it has been awhile since I have read it but that is my recollection. If you give the movie a positive review I'll check it out.

I can already tell you not to see the movie. I just want to see what the differences are between the book and the movie because so much is wrong with the movie.
December 04, 2017 11:47PM
Old Spice
I can already tell you not to see the movie. I just want to see what the differences are between the book and the movie because so much is wrong with the movie.

Ah, ok. I was afraid that would be the case.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
December 05, 2017 12:00AM
Oldspice: That was savage.

Love it

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
December 08, 2017 08:24AM
Chum
Old Spice

Ah, ok. I was afraid that would be the case.

I don't think you're going to like this review too much Chum.
December 17, 2017 09:23PM
If someone espouses that Bloodsport is a crappy B-Movie, they're a terrible person who has worthless opinions.
December 17, 2017 10:59PM
Ryan Nafe
If someone espouses that Bloodsport is a crappy B-Movie, they're a terrible person who has worthless opinions.

smileys with beer

Chumgeyser on Youtube
December 18, 2017 12:24AM
Just watched "Romper Stomper":

[m.imdb.com]

It has a very surreal and somewhat apocalyptic visual tone; the costumes, buildings, cars, makeup, etc. gave me a very surreal, almost creepy/nightmarish feeling. Though perhaps that's just what 1990's Melbourne does to me, who knows?

I enjoyed the characters, which were believable and realistic, they just seemed like a standard bunch of wayward people who carry around a tremendous amount of hatred for a perceived enemy. Russel Crowe, I thought, was actually quite good in this. His appearance and outward emotional projection throughout the film seemed to fit his character very well.

I enjoyed the dark and cynical story. It was interesting and believable because it lacked any obvious heroes or villains, and instead portrayed simply a dark and psychopathic man who leads other dark and broken people down a path that leads to a remarkably bleak ending. I often enjoy movies that have no happy endings because it's much more realistic to me. This is certainly not some kind of fairytale.

In short, I'd give it a solid Pass. Not quite a Pass +, but a decent movie for sure.
March 06, 2018 10:47AM
Not a review, just a recommendation... Shot Caller.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
June 02, 2018 09:54PM
Chum
Not a review, just a recommendation... Shot Caller.

I did watch that about a month ago. Not bad, pretty interesting plot twists for sure.
June 02, 2018 11:17PM
The Ender's Game book is so terrible I couldn't finish it. Card is a tremendous, narcissistic, pandering hack and I will never understand his popularity.
June 03, 2018 02:56AM
Old Spice
The Ender's Game book is so terrible I couldn't finish it. Card is a tremendous, narcissistic, pandering hack and I will never understand his popularity.

Maybe the reason people like his work is because they themselves are also narcissistic, pandering, hacks. grinning smiley

The Edge is probably one of my favorite movies, top 10 at least. It’s like Cliff’s billionaire alter-ego getting lost in the woods.

[en.m.wikipedia.org])
September 29, 2018 09:58AM
The Blair Witch Project : IMDb

The movie that to the detriment of all, popularized the Cinéma vérité techniques in fictional films. A short short explanation of the plot would be three city film school kids go out into the woods with no land navigation or videographer skills. For the purposes of "documenting" an urban legend about some witch or other creeper in the woods. Similar to experience of many 2nd lieutenants allowed to lead the patrol they quickly become lost in the woods. They spend the next several days running out of their tent into the darkness of night screaming, walking in circles screaming, observing the arts and crafts of the forest while screaming, screaming at the spooky wind, and descending into dehydration induced hallucinations also while screaming.

One of the young film makers runs off into the woods. Eventually the remaining two discover his shirt wrapped around some left over squirrel meat and his ponytail. They mistake this for a piece of what they believe is his corpse. Clearly though he was not dead, but enjoying the morsels of the forest while preparing for a job interview at a reputable accounting firm. Eventually they encounter an abandoned house of clearly 20th century construction. It appears that their friend is calling them inside the house with good news. Entering the house they finally abandon their film equipment and engage in cathartic screaming after receiving reports of their box office earnings.

The greatest horror film ever made. I give it one elementary school debate over its veracity out 3 lost student film makers.
December 19, 2018 06:32PM
Hostel: IMDb

A horror film that was controversial at the time of its release for its graphic torture. Except it requires you to watch an hour of c-grade Eurotrip-esque plot until anything interesting happens. A very boring first half that results in most of the audience losing interest in watching the movie and just turning it off. Which I did.
April 20, 2020 10:41AM
Hereditary IMDb

An Omen type plot dressed up with surface level demonology and modern mental health as an obscuring layer for the observer. What is interesting about both Hereditary and Midsommar is the director. He is being compared to Kubrick. The technical sophistication of the film is quite high, his foreshadowing is to heavy handed though. Visual beauty is good in both films, but not extraordinary, roughly below Colin Watkinson and Tarsem Singh's early work. In terms of expression, experience, a new story isn't unfolding, not even a really resonant story is being remolded. Ari struggles to craft characters that entice the audience to be more than passive observers. Worth a watch with out being spoiled though.

Midsommar IMDb

Again a well crafted movie but suffering from a story that is self-indulgently focused on the director. A result being that world building hampers suspension of disbelief. Highlighting the plots short comings further. To point out the ethnobotony of Sweden is not such to allow a traditional village as depicted access to so many plot convenient drugs, they don't have plants with paralytic or psychedelic properties of notable effect as especially depicted. Also Europe is to small and in this day to pacified for village like this to still exist. The characters and their rational state is hit and miss. In spite of these issues I still like the movie. For a director who's professional productions are only two horror films I wonder if the genre is being elevated by directors like Ari and Pelee or if it just happens to be a nursery for rising talent. I hope Ari finds a pairing with an exceptional and equally young screen writer to match his impressive craftsmanship. As the craftsmanship will only carry him so far. Not your average horror movies but not quite at the level of the Shinning.

The House That Jack Built IMDb

A movie by the infamous Von Trier about a serial killer. Well made, but notable because the film disgusts the viewers rather than indulging them. Thus an authentic depiction is created not damage by Hollywood's need to entertain and profit. A normal person will struggle to watch this film just as they would watching an actual killer. A psychopath would probably be disinterested, clinical as if watching another person working the same job as them. The ending seems like a cathartic reprieve for the normal viewer. Something to relieve them the weight of their vicarious participation in the film. Its obvious considering the narrative framing of the film, but invites metaphysical and moral reasoning to a cruel and cynical story.
May 13, 2020 11:46PM
[www.youtube.com]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
November 06, 2020 06:28AM
28 Weeks Later IMDb

A zombie film, and like the vast majority of zombie films its not good. Filled with idiotic decisions, and biological impossibilities to justify a bunch of violent eye-candy (which they don't right exactly either). I had avoided watching the 28 time units later series for over a decade. But it was a viewing with friends, so eh. Just one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen.

I give it a "should of killed those kids" out of and entire cast and crew of idiots making another zombie movie.
May 26, 2021 03:48AM
Invincible : IMDb

Initially Invincible appears to be an interesting and edge approach to the Justice League, and teenage super hero's in general. Perhaps subverting Superman mythos and origin was original when the comic(Invincible) first appeared but these days its path is partially worn. The show has heaps of gore, which is generally a more realistic depiction of the consequences of the displays of violence that would result from superheros in general. However the goal wasn't to approach superheros in a realistic manner if was they failed horribly. Rather the gore is for edgy titillation. The main characters abilities and their consistency are all over the place. In general this is true of all the characters. Their abilities will wane and wax depending entirely on where the writer wanted the plot to go. This many be normal for a comic series that spans thousands of issues, but it is jarring and notably inconsistent in a 10 episode show. Furthering frustrating any possible enjoyment of the show is complete abandonment of science while still including mad scientists and boy genius.

Many of the characters demonstrate the absence of worldly experience on the part of the writers. In stead conflating t with educational experience when called for. The main villain takes the exact opposite of what a successful approach would have been for his goals. However that approach would have made him far less of a villain and disrupted the attempt of subverting superman and the justice league. The teen elements felt stilted, and awkward, but not in an awkward teenage way. But a detached I don't remember what been a teenager was like because I drank my memory away way. Generally I would regard the entire sum of the writers work on this show be approximately what I expect a teenager to write and believe to be convincing and compelling. The performance of dialogue occasionally felt poorly directed like the voice actors were not completely sure about what the emotional context of the scene was. Though some good performances still occurred. The main characters actions and dialogue are perhaps consistent with the main villain since their origins are intertwined. I suppose it makes since that if one's an idiot and other would be as well. It also has the most poorly executed foreshadowing I've ever seen. Like seriously don't have characters foreshadow something in dialogue that the viewer has already observed.

I give it a "Think Mark' out of a "O Hi Mark"
May 26, 2021 07:52AM
Nice review Old Spice. I can't find anything I disagree with. I especially like your rating system.

Now do Doom Patrol. It's not perfect, but there's a lot of comic book goodness there. It makes me wish I collected it over the X-Men.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
May 27, 2021 05:47AM
Who makes it chum? Because right it would cost me $30 on amazon to watch it. :/
May 29, 2021 11:55AM
Old Spice

It's on HBO Max right now. I primarily watch stuff off of Amazon Prime, but I ended up getting HBO Max for extra content. If you are a comic book nerd, like myself, it is a gold mine. You get DC, which is all the DC movies, series and animation series... everything DC. You get Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Looney Tunes, an all anime channel (which I've never been into but their is so much anime there that I started watching) and you get all the HBO series and movies of which there is some really good stuff.

I guess I'm pitching HBO Max. I think it is $15 bucks a month, which is quite a bit, but I find myself watching it more than Amazon Prime or Netflix (I would get rid of Netflix but my kids like some of the stuff on there.)

If nothing else, I'd try it for month just for Doom Patrol. It also has the Titans series... a review on that would be... interesting.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
May 29, 2021 12:08PM
Old Spice

It's on HBO Max right now. I primarily watch stuff off of Amazon Prime, but I ended up getting HBO Max for extra content. If you are a comic book nerd, like myself, it is a gold mine. You get DC, which is all the DC movies, series and animation series... everything DC. You get Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Looney Tunes, an all anime channel (which I've never been into but there is so much anime there that I started watching) and you get all the HBO series and movies of which there is some really good stuff.

I guess I'm pitching HBO Max. I think it is $15 bucks a month, which is quite a bit, but I find myself watching it more than Amazon Prime or Netflix (I would get rid of Netflix but my kids like some of the stuff on there.)

If nothing else, I'd try it for a month just for Doom Patrol. It also has the Titans series. A review on that would be... interesting. Titans actually ties into, and introduces the Doom Patrol. Titans is clearly the low budget precursor to the Doom Patrol. There are quite a few cosplay convention moments, but worth it if you are a comic book fan. I just started Stargirl, another live-action comic book series. This one is geared towards a younger audience but so far has had some good moments, and characters.

Geoff Johns seems to be in charge of all these DC series, and you can tell he is a comic book historian.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
May 29, 2021 12:11PM
Weird. A large part of my post didn't go through, and I received a message about the site being monitored and my post needed to be approved???

Chumgeyser on Youtube
May 29, 2021 12:21PM
Ryan Nafe
Old Spice

Maybe the reason people like his work is because they themselves are also narcissistic, pandering, hacks. grinning smiley

The Edge is probably one of my favorite movies, top 10 at least. It’s like Cliff’s billionaire alter-ego getting lost in the woods.

[en.m.wikipedia.org])

Lol, to be fair I haven't read Ender's Game since highschool, or maybe even Jr. High? I probably was a narcissist then spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The Edge was excellent!

Chumgeyser on Youtube