Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firearms and Shooting

Posted by Bugout Bill 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Firearms and Shooting
November 07, 2016 03:04AM
Chum, what did you think of the M&P vs the G34?
November 07, 2016 03:39AM
Any Cal.
Walther probably doesn't care because it is an ammo malf.

-edit- hadnt seen your post already. How abut a pic of the bullet? Might tell the tale.

How did you fix it?

First of all, it was a Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ. I have found this ammo to be the higher end of the cheap stuff. Anyway, I actually shot the same bullet out of the Q5, just to see what would happen. It fired.

I think the bullet was somehow caught up on the extractor as I've read that this type of jam, along with the brass shavings, suggest an extractor issue.

To get the bullet out I used a piece of wood and pressed on the extractor bar as hard as I could, while simultaneously pushing at the bullet with my SAK file. I had to clamp the slide in place while I did this. That popped the round out.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
November 07, 2016 03:41AM
chad234

Classy firearm. I've never shot one, but have always wanted to. Congrats Chad. Very nice find.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
November 07, 2016 03:43AM
chad234
Chum, what did you think of the M&P vs the G34?

I liked both of them. I guess I liked the G34 slightly more, but both were accurate and comfortable to shoot.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
November 07, 2016 04:19AM
I like the old Berettas, tip up barrels, and .25s. That one ticks all the boxes!

I think .25 is pretty useless just by the #s. Would really want more even for a dog attack. Biggest advantage, IMO, is that it is centerfire, so potentially more reliable than .22 in same firearm. Don't think I have ever shot one- had a couple boxes of ammo that needed a gun, but eventually gave them away. Good for bullet casters, don't use much lead or powder- but case is tiny so difficult in that respect.

Phoenix Arms makes a cheap .25 that seems to be a pretty good gun, would make a nice companion to that one. Comes w/ a 3 or 5" barrel, or a kit w/ both. Give you a reason to reload for .25 or buy in bulk... grinning smiley

-Edit- I did know a guy that had an old .25 Pinfire converted to .25ACP as a rabbit rifle. Would be kind of cool, I guess, if you had one laying around. Like a .22, but slower and more expensive.grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2016 04:21AM by Any Cal..
November 07, 2016 04:38AM
Chad: With .25, it's better than a sharp stick or throwing a brick.

The initial Seecamps were .25 ACP, but it is a dead round. .32 ain't too far behind.

Regardless, the Jetfires are gorgeous, simple little guns. Definitely not a Raven Arms popper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
November 08, 2016 04:38AM
This looks pretty fun, and damn this guy is fast. I believe it is a USPSA event. I think I'm more in steel shooting shape spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Chumgeyser on Youtube
November 12, 2016 06:30AM
This is competition grade 10mm, with a 2011 frame. 12 Rounds flush mag with 14, 17 and 22 round mag options. Drool...

STI Perfect 10
6-inch Bull Barrel
Built for Heavy Recoil and Large Capacity
Full Length Accessory Rail
Target, Black Front Sight and Adjustable Rear Sight
Blued Frame and Slide
18lb Recoil Spring
Oversized Magwell
Ambidextrous Safety
47oz
Magazine Capacity Options: 12/14/17/22 smileys with beer
Description: Every aspect of the Perfect 10 is designed to control the recoil that the 10mm is notorious for. A full length frame supports a 6-inch bull barrel for the increased weight and reduced recoil. Perfect for shooting wild hogs, the Perfect 10 delivers knock down power when and where you need it, and backs it up with fast follow up shots. With it’s tactical light rail and over sized mag well it makes a great home defense weapon as well. The overall robust stature handles nicely and the handle form provides optimum grip control in every shot. A full-length accessory rail is incorporated to the frame so a variety of functional enhancements can be easily added.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
November 19, 2016 11:36AM
That is a fine looking pistol, and I imagine the weight will help with recoil and follow-up shots. And get a .40 barrel and you can practice with near 9mm recoil in a big gun like that.
November 19, 2016 03:25PM
Not a firearm, but something gun related that had a fairly major impact on my life:

I got this game for Christmas when I was 13 or so, it was really a game that got me interested in firearms and tactical nonsense.

Overview:

For those unfamiliar with the Rainbow Six series, you command a multinational counter-terrorism team against some sort of wide ranging conspiracy; taking control of everything from the team's composition and equipment, to the actual planning and execution of the mission.

Unlike the previous games in the series, Raven Shield brought the series more in line with modern FPS, incorporating better controls as well as providing a first person view of the player's weapon. However, the game still retains the difficulty the series is well known for.

Raven Shield is solidly a tactical shooter, requiring some knowledge of how close quarters battle works. If you don't approach corners or doorways properly, you and potentially your team will die. If you aren't slow and methodical, you will die. If you don't ensure that your element and the other fireteam act simultaneously, potentially your men or hostages will die. It is a game with a bit of a learning curve, but once grasped it is tremendously fun.

Entertainingly, the game provides a nice snapshot of how a tactical unit (either police or military) looked and behaved in the 90s and early 2000s. HK and Benelli firearms are very much the standard, as is a conspicuous lack of Glocks. The way the characters are kitted out is very period correct as well. Tactics are also very prominent, with somewhat obsolete tactics like squatted movement and peaking around corners emphasized over things like pieing corners or moving slowly. However, if you know how those tactics work, you can still execute them in game.

It is a somewhat dated game, both in terms of graphics and AI, but still a massively enjoyable game. Rainbow Six 3 has a lot of replay value, as well as oodles of guns to allow for very interesting gameplay.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

November 20, 2016 06:37AM
You ever play the original Bill? What about Siege?
November 20, 2016 07:12AM
Old Spice: I have played Rogue Spear and Vegas 2, have not played Siege. The series really drifted away from its roots once it migrated to console.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

November 20, 2016 07:20AM
I played the original a lot. I loved it. Sadly once I figured out its system it became to easy until the last mission. I actually spent most of the game just letting the NPCs doing the mission completely without me doing a thing. I would just plan the mission out completely and hit go on teams. I wonder what the newer ones are like.
November 20, 2016 07:51AM
The new ones are -especially siege- run of the mill arena shooters pretending to be tactical cqb sims.. Huge disappointment. I wouldn't recommend unless you want a run and gun arena shooter with a modern theme. I mean they are trying to push it into the e-game scene which make its obvious they abandoned any sense of realism. Siege doesn't even given a team enough time to plan anything. You just get dumped into a map with 30 or 60 seconds to select a character and spawn point. Also suicide bombers that are armored beyond reason and have a dead-mans switch make even terrorist hunt a crummy experience. I will probably never buy another new Ubisoft game again.
November 20, 2016 10:07PM
Old Spice: Here here in regards to never buying new Ubisoft.

Terri: I played Rogue Spear that way. As for Raven Shield, they added just enough FPS elements to make it enjoyable enough to play, while keeping really fine details like peaking corners and opening doors with the mousewheel for silent opening or to peak behind them.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

November 20, 2016 11:22PM
I took the Beretta 950 Jetfire to the range and 100 rounds of 50 grain ball ammo through it. This is my first time shooting this gun and also my first time shooting any .25ACP that I can recall.

Generally speaking, I think the Nutfancy review was fairly spot on. Easy to load and handle. It can be fired very fast, easily putting 3 round on target in about 1 second. In terms of firepower, it's 8+1 capacity allowed 3 bursts of 3 shots each.

I noted a few things:

1. The .25 feels like it has more punch than I expected, but with no real recoil impulse or muzzle rise.
2. The tiny sights are fine for close work in a well lit range, they would be worthless for serious social use. You have to train to just sight down the slide.
3. At 7 yards, firing 3 shot bursts, it is much more accurate than I expected.
4. It is too small my hand, and hammer bite is prominent. I made sure to keep my hand at least low enough to avoid the slide.
5. Break down and clean up is a breeze.

I think this will be a nice CCW for my wife if I can get her to shoot it. Until then, I'll use it as a back up to my Shield or Glock 19.

The extra magazine and rubber band help keep the holster in the pocket on the draw.
November 21, 2016 12:40AM
Chad: That is an awesome pistola.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

November 21, 2016 07:58AM
chad234

lol... this picture is just dripping with cools.

That is pure badass. I need one.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
November 22, 2016 01:29AM
I think your much better served by your G42. While at the range I saw a guy shooting the S&W Bodyguard .380 with XS sights. My father has one (stock sights and green Crimson trace laser) that I am going to borrow. Between that and the LCP II I may have a replacement for my LCP. I wish Walther made a pocket version of the PPS.

Any response from them yet on your PPQ issue?
November 22, 2016 02:24AM
chad234
Any response from them yet on your PPQ issue?

Walther had me send them the Q5, I think over a week ago now. Have yet to hear from them.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
November 23, 2016 03:00AM
image url

Rat tat tat tat, tat tat tat, like that
And I...
November 23, 2016 04:47AM
Ryan: Nice. What did him in?

And what sort of delicious noms is he going to be turned into?

Resident Emerson Fanboi

November 23, 2016 09:11AM
I didnt realize that Beretta was less than 10oz, I assumed it would be closer to 18. No wonder it feels like it has some punch.
November 23, 2016 12:21PM
Nice Ryan. Will you butcher your self or take To a processor?
November 23, 2016 12:29PM
Yes, aside from the NAA mini .22 revolver, I have not seen a lighter gun. This is truly a vest pocket piece and can be carried in a heavy shirt pocket even. That said, the LCP is but two ounces heavier loaded, and that is mostly the difference in the larger ammunition. Old school cool aside, the LCP is superior for my use in every regard. The earl benefit to the 950 would be to someone who could not handle the recoil of other cartridges so was limited to .22 or .25.
November 23, 2016 03:43PM
We have always done the butchering ourselves, but I didn't take the week off work so my grandpa took that deer and my uncle's to a local butcher shop. The rifle used was a Browning X-Bolt Micro Hunter in .308. The Micro Hunter is no longer produced, but the differences between it and the standard Hunter model is a 20" barrel, half inch shorter length of pull, and a shorter forearm. The shot was about 50 yards and that was outside of my range for the GP-100. It dropped in its tracks, you can actually see the blood spray in the snow from the exit wound. Double lung broadside shot.
November 23, 2016 04:45PM
Ryan: What bullet? (As in type or brand)

Resident Emerson Fanboi

November 23, 2016 06:11PM
It was Winchester Power-Max Bonded, 150 grain. I've never felt a huge need to use bonded bullets in general, especially not for deer, but this particular .308 load seems to work quite well and it's fairly cheap. Despite being a bonded bullet, it does fragment a fair amount. Especially at 50 yards vs. 100. I was planning on ordering some Buffalo Bore .308 ammo but they're not in stock in the 150 grain weight. I also spoke with Tim Sundles (Buffalo Bore owner) and he said that although you can use cast bullets for deer with the .357, he would recommend 158 grain JHP's. I'm gonna have to get a few boxes of those for the GP.
November 23, 2016 06:17PM
The Winchester ammo is very accurate out of my rifle, 1.25" groups off the bench at 100 yards are no problem. However, the crimp is pretty rough and uneven and the tips are not very consistently formed. But for about $1.20 a shot, it's not bad. I'd still rather pay $1.50 a shot for the Buffalo Bore ammo if I could actually find it anywhere.
November 23, 2016 09:13PM
Ryan: You shot the federal fusion sp at all?

Resident Emerson Fanboi