Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firearms and Shooting

Posted by Bugout Bill 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Firearms and Shooting
March 29, 2020 05:16PM
jasonstone20
I wish this forum had a poll feature.
What do you guys think? Accurate assessment or Commie Propaganda?

[www.youtube.com]

Propaganda. Counting the one flyer with the M4, and talking about how they calculate accuracy differently but he can't tell us how?

I've never understood the appeal of an AK over an AR. I've never had any malfunctions with my AR.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
March 29, 2020 10:54PM
Chum,
They both are awesome rifles, you can't go wrong with either. The M-16/M-4 got off to a shaky start because of it's teething issues and lack of support by the Army Ordinance Corp. in the Vietnam War, and the AK has been labeled as cheap and inaccurate, as well as being the 'bad-guys'/Communist weapon. The video is clearly biased in favor of the AK, but at the end of the video he does say that it is the shooter and level of training that makes the difference. I think someone should own both if possible, and at least own one of the rifles at minimum. I still need to get a M16/M4/AR15 myself, and there are so many great rifles at awesome prices these days it is silly.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
me2
March 29, 2020 11:12PM
Jason you'd better hurry. Prices are rising quickly. Stuff in the range I look at has gone up from 14% to 40%. The lower priced stuff has just disappeared.
March 29, 2020 11:22PM
Yeah, I am going to wait until after the crisis is over. I don't have any money now anyway so it really doesn't matter at this time. Thank you for the heads up however.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
March 29, 2020 11:42PM
I have both platforms but favor the AK. The manual of arms is simpler for the AK but the ergonomics, in terms of the safety, are superior on the AR platform. Interesting the new Galil Ace seemingly has the best of both. The procedure for clearing a jam on an AK pattern rifle is pretty much: remove magazine, pull back bolt, insert new magazine. Clearing jams on the AR platform can be like trying to burp a squirming baby.

The only cold weather problem I've personally run into with the AR was when I was lubricating the bolt with some light grease. Awesome during the hot and humid summer but an early morning late-summer range trip left me with a non-function rifle. More embarrassing than anything else - now I refuse to use anything but light oil in the platform. The AK was fine. Clearly, that is an example of operator error - and frankly, the documentation I've seen suggests oil for the AK too when temperature is under 45 degrees or so.

It is my understanding that the closer one gets to the arctic circle the more problems the AR platform has.

They are both good platforms but I think the AR requires more skill to trouble shoot. That being said, a lightweight AR carbine is a beautiful thing. At the end of the day I am kind of a slob and can't be trusted to install the hammer spring in an AR correctly "in the field." Which in my case was shooting at a bench. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 30, 2020 12:05AM
Yeah, the Galil Ace is on my to buy list, along with an M4 and a Tavor X95.

me2
March 30, 2020 02:13AM
I went shooting 2 weeks ago before the pandemic turned my guns into very threatening paperweights. I'm in the process of cleaning them now. I shot the Henry and Marlin 60 with Tech Sights quite a bit.

I've changed to the less is more philosophy with regard to lubing my semiautomatic rifles. I use a light coat of oil on the contact points and that's basically it. The Marlin was a bit cleaner and didn't take as long to scrub out.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Henry. It is a breeze to clean. I open the action, make sure its empty, and look for any crud. At this point it's still pretty clean and I just wipe out any visible dirt with a q-tip. It's still smooth as silk. Then its 2 trips through the barrel with a bore snake, wipe down, and done. Being used to the Marlins, it's amazing how clean the manual actions stay. I did tighten down the screws on the scope mount just a bit. I don't want to tighten them too much, but some were noticeably looser than others, so I evened it out. The scope still seems to be drifting a bit, but I still can't rule out other sources of movement enough to justify replacing the scope.
me2
March 30, 2020 02:18AM
This is mainly for Chad, but the ammo shortage has made the 6.5 Grendel nearly justifiable. Last trip to Academy, there was plenty of that while the standard 223 and 5.56 stuff was pretty picked over. For that matter, several oddball calibers were also plentiful, relatively speaking. 224 Valkyrie was plentiful enough to justify too, if I were more certain of my funds.
March 31, 2020 07:27AM
[www.youtube.com]

April 02, 2020 04:03PM
[www.youtube.com]

April 02, 2020 05:07PM
jasonstone20
[www.youtube.com]

What was this video about?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
April 02, 2020 07:05PM
I have no idea why YouTube took the video down. I am pretty sick of the Authoritarian Censorship from Big Tech. The Big Tech monopoly needs to be broken up and Silicon Valley culture needs to die.

It was just the AK-47-74 Union saying how great the PSA AKE was an amazing gun, and passed the sand test with 60 rounds, and set a record for that test.

April 05, 2020 07:31AM
[www.youtube.com]

April 06, 2020 12:13AM
jasonstone20
[www.youtube.com]

Shotguns have their place for self defense, but I prefer a handgun. More rounds, much faster cyclic rate, much more maneuverability indoors.

When this virus crap is over with I'm buying a new Glock. Just can't decide between a 45acp and a 10mm, and which model. Leaning towards G21.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
April 06, 2020 01:53AM
I've always heard that 10mm ammo requires you to go a bit out of the way to get the full power of 10mm.
April 06, 2020 05:21AM
That’s pretty much true, Old Spice. With stuff like Underwood and Buffalo Bore, the 10mm is a meaningful step up from even really hot .45 Auto +P, but with more ordinary factory ammo that’s commonly available, there’s not a meaningful difference between the two.

As far as I’m concerned, the biggest difference between the two (with respect to ordinary ammo) is that the 10mm has a MAJOR advantage in useful range and trajectory:

(Assuming both are sighted in at 25 yards)

- 45 ACP 230 grain JHP at 850 FPS hits about 17.5” low at 100 yards and is going slowly enough (750 FPS) that it may have trouble expanding.

- 10mm 180 grain JHP at 1,200 FPS strikes about 9” low and is still moving at 1,000 FPS, plenty enough to expand.

That’s not insignificant if you’re planning to use the gun as an outdoors or wilderness tool, but considering that most shots will be inside 50 yards even in the outdoors/hunting application, I’d probably still pick the .45 for a full-size gun. It’s hard to beat.
April 06, 2020 01:51PM
Thanks fellas. Decision on caliber made. I'll go with the 45acp. Now, the model.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
April 06, 2020 03:00PM
Chum,
I always wanted to get either a Glock 21 or a Para-Ordnance Double Stack with the LDA trigger. I am a fan of "high capacity" anything.

April 06, 2020 09:44PM
Its .45 so probably one of the larger models, just to try and gain as much capacity as possible. If you want to conceal it I would pick a different cartridge altogether.
me2
April 06, 2020 09:58PM
I'd really like a nice 1911, but for practical purposes, a Glock 21 or similar would probably be best. The large FN 45s have always been appealing appealing to me as well.
April 06, 2020 10:35PM
jasonstone20
Chum,
I always wanted to get either a Glock 21 or a Para-Ordnance Double Stack with the LDA trigger. I am a fan of "high capacity" anything.

And a high capacity 45 just sounds good grinning smiley

Chumgeyser on Youtube
April 06, 2020 10:39PM
Old Spice
Its .45 so probably one of the larger models, just to try and gain as much capacity as possible. If you want to conceal it I would pick a different cartridge altogether.

This won't be for concealed carry. Target shooting. Home defense. Maybe a hiking gun, in which case it will be open carried.

I remembered why I was originally leaning more towards a 45 than 10mm. I really want a suppressor. 45acp seems like a natural cartridge for suppression seeing that nearly all the ammo is subsonic.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
April 06, 2020 10:47PM
me2
I'd really like a nice 1911, but for practical purposes, a Glock 21 or similar would probably be best. The large FN 45s have always been appealing appealing to me as well.

I've also always wanted a 1911, but I'm definitely a Glock fan at this point. I just tend to shoot them well. The capacity on most models (not the G42) can't be argued with, and they are reliable as handguns get.

Speaking of reliability... I watched nutnfancy praise the G20 and G21 (10mm and 45acp.) He did mention that his 10mm glock had occasional jams, we while the 45 didn't. He still prefers the 10mm because he likes the ballistics.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
April 07, 2020 01:24AM
Chum
I've also always wanted a 1911, but I'm definitely a Glock fan at this point. I just tend to shoot them well. The capacity on most models (not the G42) can't be argued with, and they are reliable as handguns get.

That’s pretty close to my current view. I tried a lot of different stuff over the past few years. 1911’s, revolvers, DA/SA’s, Glock, M&P, pretty much at least one example of all the common designs. And after all that time and money (which wasn’t insignificant, especially for a blue-collar younger dude) I couldn’t find anything that did what I needed to do better than a Gen 3 G27.

Is it kinda boring? Yes. But at the end of all the fun, it’s a tool that’s supposed to do a job. And the Glock platform does it best for me.

You’d be hard-pressed to find anything that works better, just from a raw, functional, practical perspective, than the G21. Dead-reliable, extremely simple mechanism, more than accurate enough for the job.

And I still think that one of the strongest arguments in favor of the .45 is the very solid effectiveness with basic FMJ ammo. None of the other common cartridges can make that claim, including my favorite .40 cal.
me2
April 07, 2020 03:00AM
Doesn't Glock have a competition type 45 app model? Sort of a upgraded 21? Similar to the 34 and 17?
April 07, 2020 03:05AM
April 07, 2020 03:14AM
One other point about Glocks:

I’ve never found anything else that points as naturally. All other guns feel like I’m holding something and aiming it. But the Glock grip angle and palm swell makes it very fast and very intuitive, I look where I wanna shoot and the gun comes up on target without any conscious effort.
April 07, 2020 06:14AM
Ryan Nafe
You’d be hard-pressed to find anything that works better, just from a raw, functional, practical perspective, than the G21. Dead-reliable, extremely simple mechanism, more than accurate enough for the job.

Completely agree. Based on the Glocks I've shot I think the 45acp "may" be the most inherently accurate as well.

Ryan Nafe
And I still think that one of the strongest arguments in favor of the .45 is the very solid effectiveness with basic FMJ ammo. None of the other common cartridges can make that claim, including my favorite .40 cal.

I agree with this as well. I'm really interested in the Underwood Xtreme Penetrator in 45acp. 200 grain 1000fps muzzle velocity.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
me2
April 15, 2020 10:58AM
Any advice on a reloading manual? I've been looking at Nathan Foster's book and Lee's manual.
April 23, 2020 02:47PM
What 1911 would you carry and depend your life on?
[www.youtube.com]