Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firearms and Shooting

Posted by Bugout Bill 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
cKc
Re: Firearms and Shooting
April 23, 2020 04:22PM
As im not allowed a gun, i'd have to say i'll take 1 911 and dial it grinning smiley

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
April 23, 2020 04:26PM
cKc,
That's horrible. I am afraid I couldn't live like that. I feel and armed man is a free man. As they say, when seconds count, the police are minutes away. Can you at least have a bow and arrow/crossbow or machete?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
cKc
April 23, 2020 05:34PM
Under british law, anything carried or used with the intent to self defense is already a criminal act.

Eg.. a man breaks in my home, i happen to have a chair and i smash it on his head (self defense) as long as i can proove he was attacking me.. we have a like with like force law..

Eg.. I buy a baseball bat and put it next to my bed for self defense, and some one breaks in and i beat them up with the bat.. if its discovered the bat was bought as a self defense tool, i've broken the law and may be prosecuted..

Britsh law does not allow for self-defense with intent, only defense by accident.
Guns in NZ if you have a license, must by law be locked in a gun safe seperate to the bullets and inaccessible in an emergency.. they can never be used in self defense.. you will go to jail..

in Manila.. no Foreign citizen may own, or carry or use a firearm for any reason. Jail then deportation

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
April 23, 2020 06:52PM
jasonstone20
What 1911 would you carry and depend your life on?

I just don't see carrying a 1911 over a Glock or CZ or Sig or HK etc. I don't like the single action set up for carry.

Plenty of quality 1911s made though. If I had to carry one I'd probably go for something fancy, like a Dan Wesson, in the smallest size I could get a full grip on.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
April 23, 2020 07:44PM
I would agree with Chum that I can’t ever see myself carrying one. They’re just too big and heavy for me, and I’ve got something in the G27 that’s better in reliability, has a few more rounds on board, plenty accurate (I can easily make effective hits out to 25 yards with every round in the magazine) and is also significantly smaller and lighter.

That being said, I don’t believe I had a single malfunction of any kind after just under 1,000 rounds with my Springfield Range Officer. The gun was reliable, had plenty of power, and easily the best trigger I’ve ever had in a handgun (it’s actually better than most rifle triggers I’ve experienced). I would carry that Range Officer without any hesitation or worries, it’ll certainly do the job, and I did keep it on home defense duty for quite a while as well.

I would also agree with Chum that if I was to ever get another one, I’d probably get something like a Dan Wesson, something that’s on the upper scale of production fit-and-finish.
April 23, 2020 07:53PM
That is one thing I don't concern myself about is weight. I carried two 5906's, which weigh as much as a steel framed, full size 1911 (38oz), concealed carry for about 15 years, every day, sometimes along with my Kel-Tel P11 in my front pocket, along with wearing soft-body armor.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
April 23, 2020 10:23PM
Jason, if you are thinking of getting a 1911 my suggestion would be to rent and shoot one back to back with a G21.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
April 23, 2020 10:31PM
Chum,
That is a good idea. I just never liked the Glock grip angle or the Glock trigger. Not that I am that picky, I rather have a gun that functions than one that has a good grip angle and good trigger but has a tendency to have malfunctions.

me2
April 23, 2020 11:02PM
jasonstone20
That is one thing I don't concern myself about is weight. I carried two 5906's, which weigh as much as a steel framed, full size 1911 (38oz), concealed carry for about 15 years, every day, sometimes along with my Kel-Tel P11 in my front pocket, along with wearing soft-body armor.

Where was this, so I know never to go there?
April 23, 2020 11:26PM
Chris,
Portland, OR.

April 24, 2020 02:32AM
jasonstone20
Chum,
That is a good idea. I just never liked the Glock grip angle or the Glock trigger. Not that I am that picky, I rather have a gun that functions than one that has a good grip angle and good trigger but has a tendency to have malfunctions.

I was the same way, originally, when it came to the Glock trigger and handle angle. Now I prefer the Glock handle angle to others, and I've come to love the trigger. I like the trigger so much that I have to resist the urge to argue with people on replacing the Glock trigger with an aftermarket trigger.

It is common to see people on FB gun groups, who are buying their first Glock, to ask what aftermarket trigger they should get... when they have never even shot a Glock. Somehow it has become a thing to believe Glock triggers suck, or more commonly that Glock triggers are just kinda meh.

Glock triggers break clean and reset clean. They are a little spongy to the wall, and I think that is where the complaints come from. I don't care if the creep is spongy, as long as it doesn't feel gritty. The trigger on my 43X is excellent imo.

Anyway, I've always liked the Glocks for their simplicity, but now I'm 100% sold on them. It just took me awhile to get there.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
April 24, 2020 04:15AM
Chum,
Yeah, I shoot Glocks well, and I like the fact that they go bang more often then not. You described the Glock trigger perfectly, btw.

April 24, 2020 08:01PM
Chum
It is common to see people on FB gun groups, who are buying their first Glock, to ask what aftermarket trigger they should get... when they have never even shot a Glock. Somehow it has become a thing to believe Glock triggers suck, or more commonly that Glock triggers are just kinda meh.

Yeah, the first one I bought was that G23, and I went all-out on the aftermarket parts. And what I found was that it really didn’t make any measurable difference in it’s effectiveness.

Chum
Anyway, I've always liked the Glocks for their simplicity, but now I'm 100% sold on them. It just took me awhile to get there.

Same for me. I noted in the video I made about the G27 that I was almost disappointed to have tried so many different and unique guns, hoping to find something a bit out of the ordinary that worked well for me, but after all that time and money I circled back and ended up with a 3rd generation Glock. It was a bit boring.

Nothing could beat it in overall effectiveness. I had guns that beat it handily in concealability (Kahr PM40), guns that were more accurate on paper (H&K USP Compact, 1911, Girsan Regard MC), gun’s that have more ammo on board, and guns with more power (the .45’s, the .357’s).

But after all that, the G27 has an almost unbeatable combination of size, weight, power, and capacity. I can shoot it very well, the small size doesn’t detract much from the accuracy. It’s easy to carry. The capacity of 9+1 is more than sufficient for any reasonable civilian purpose. I can do a complete field strip and cleaning even if I’m blackout drunk because it’s a ridiculously simple mechanism. Holsters and magazines are everywhere. And I happen to think they look quite nice as well, much like a Spyderco, in the sense that they’re obviously a very clean and utility-first design.
April 25, 2020 09:01PM
Can buy ammo online in cali again.
April 25, 2020 09:18PM
Old Spice
Can buy ammo online in cali again.

Heard about that. It appears there are still a few decent judges there after all. thumbs up
April 25, 2020 09:26PM
Yeah but ammo prices are over the top now its really lame. Especially since some 9th district douche will put a hold on it . So we will have a week to buy, and then wait 1, 2, 3, years before its finalized in the higher courts.
April 25, 2020 09:28PM
Hooray for bureaucracy, authoritarians, and busybody soccer moms! Woo! the finger smiley
me2
April 25, 2020 11:15PM
And it's over. 9th circus strikes again.
April 26, 2020 12:14AM
They need to get rid of the judges in the 9th DC and put some sane people in there.

April 26, 2020 02:21AM
Its a stay and was expected, however it means it has a chance to move all the way up to SCOTUS. The AWB is next, and if you have been following all these CA court case you would know that oral arguments for the mag bans court hearing went very well for gun owners. This is progress in the right direction that a CA gun owner isn't use too. It also beneficial that the state pushes all way to SCOTUS so losing there stops other states from following along the path of CA, NY, and that adjacent toxic waste pit, um NJ I think they call it. RBG dies and gun control as a movement will be gone in two decades.
April 26, 2020 02:26AM
Old Spice,
That sounds awesome.

me2
April 26, 2020 10:49AM
Yep, these cases are promising. I remember the mag bran arguements and the week the law was overturned before they stay was enacted.

Is ammo even available there in CA? Is hard to come by here.
April 27, 2020 12:34AM
Available, but obviously legally purchasing it is burdened in an unconstitutional manner. Which is the intent of law, discourage law abiding Americans from engaging in their rights.
me2
May 05, 2020 10:18PM
Got my reloading press, powder, bullets, primers, and dies. Will hopefully get to try them out this weekend. I also went with a Lyman reloading manual.
May 05, 2020 11:12PM
I've given up on thinking California and NY will ever change and be vaguely American again. They'll keep coming up with new shystery ways to subvert the Constitution.

I think it's time for a red and blue split. The blue team can have CA, NY, DC and a smattering of other blue states that have no hope of ever becoming red, or reddish. They can elect their own President, Congress, etc. Let's have an amicable split.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
May 05, 2020 11:36PM
Chum,
There basically is an unofficial one now, basically all the big cities vs the rural areas. I like the rural areas better now, the people have manners, don't care if you are different, are respectful and love Freedom and Liberty. I can't say that about my fellow city dwellers.

May 06, 2020 12:06AM
jasonstone20
Chum,
There basically is an unofficial one now, basically all the big cities vs the rural areas. I like the rural areas better now, the people have manners, don't care if you are different, are respectful and love Freedom and Liberty. I can't say that about my fellow city dwellers.

The problem is one group is constantly trying enforce new, unconstitutional, laws upon the other group. That's why I see the need for a split.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
May 06, 2020 12:14AM
me2
Got my reloading press, powder, bullets, primers, and dies. Will hopefully get to try them out this weekend. I also went with a Lyman reloading manual.

Hey sweet! What kind did of press and dies did you get? I still haven’t touched mine, they’re all wrapped and packed in a box.
me2
May 06, 2020 12:35AM
Well, presses are hard to come by locally, and I wanted a little trip. I drove about an hour north to get a Lee 50th Anniversary kit with a single stage press and some small pistol primers. Primers are also spotty on availability. Today I found a set of Lee dies, some appropriate pistol powder for 9mm, and some 115 grain FMJ projectiles. The 9mm is the simplest of the ones I have to try, so I figure I'll start there. I have about 250 empty cases and 1 lb of powder will make over 1000 rounds if my math is right.

The place I got the bullets has a 600 round box, and if my endeavors are successful, I may go back and pick that up. The only thing I have left to get is a case tumbler. I think my public local range opened back up, and I can get brass there. I'll hand clean these and see how it goes. I may hook up a nylon brush on a dremel with some buffing compound and see how that does cleaning.
May 06, 2020 05:38AM
Chum
I've given up on thinking California and NY will ever change and be vaguely American again. They'll keep coming up with new shystery ways to subvert the Constitution.

I think it's time for a red and blue split. The blue team can have CA, NY, DC and a smattering of other blue states that have no hope of ever becoming red, or reddish. They can elect their own President, Congress, etc. Let's have an amicable split.

By amicable you mean nuking right?