Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firearms and Shooting

Posted by Bugout Bill 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Firearms and Shooting
June 03, 2020 06:05PM
Other guns are sort of a different situation because they’re other guns, they’re just all-around different.

I simply mean that as far as the Sub-2000 itself goes, I don’t think any of the parts from a company like M-Carbo, for example, would really change what the gun is capable of.

Perhaps a recoil buffer or a folding mount for a red dot would be the only two things I’d consider.
June 07, 2020 12:21AM
Ryan Nafe:

How has your Sub-2000 held up? Any issues with screws loosening up?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
June 07, 2020 01:28AM
Err muh gerd, it’s Bill! Woo!

The round count is something like 450 to 500, 9 or 10 boxes of 50. I didn’t have any initial issues with screws loosening but the last half of the round count was after I committed to the red dot and not using the folding feature. I set my torque wrench to something like 5 or 10 inch pounds and tightened down all the screws. The plastic seems to act almost like a rubber gasket, providing a little give and stickiness that would make it harder for the screws to back out.

The only thing that did tend to loosen up was the thread protector, but applying a little oil and really cranking it down hard has eliminated that problem.
June 07, 2020 02:00AM
Looked at a Ruger 57. The handle is too awkward for me. Pass.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
June 07, 2020 02:06AM
Hope you all have been well.

Chum: The Ruger 57 was one of the oddest firearms announcements in a while. It was completely out of the blue. If they make the PC Carbine in it, I will be very interested.

Ryan: Good to hear. Kel Tec has always made interesting stuff, both in terms of design and engineering. Maybe not the most durable, but that is probably more due to design compromises than anything. Making a lot of the gun out of two injection molded poly halves is going to force you to use screws.

A guy I shoot 2 gun matches with runs a Kel Tec RDB. It is a really impressive rifle; a nice handling and well thought out bullpup. Only issue the guy ran into was the sight rail falling off due to the scews loosening. High temp loctite fixed that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

me2
June 07, 2020 02:13AM
Anyone else notice that having an unusual caliber makes it easier to find ammo lately? There is the same amount of 270 AI that there ever was, 1 box. 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel are also relatively available, compared to 5.56/223, 30-30, and 9mm.

I found some 22 on luckygunner for a good price and snagged 1500 rounds, so I'm set for 22 for a while. I rezeroed my Victory and Marlin 60 with Tech Sights today for the new ammo; just a couple of clicks for each. The Henry is currently running 22 Short, which is relatively easy to find and has not gone up in price, but was fairly pricey anyway.
June 07, 2020 02:14AM
Me2: .308 and 5.45 were usually more available during the worst of the ammo rush than 5.56/.223 and 7.62x39.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

June 07, 2020 02:47AM
me2
Anyone else notice that having an unusual caliber makes it easier to find ammo lately?

That’s something else I have noticed about .40S&W. It seems like it’s still popular enough to be readily available, but not popular enough to bought frequently. Some places’ stock looks like I’m the only one buying any.
me2
June 07, 2020 02:57AM
I'm vaguely interested in a PCC now, though ammo would have to be a lot more available and cheaper for me to look at a 5.7x28 chambering. Then again, 9mm is now the price of 5.56 before the plague.
me2
June 07, 2020 03:03AM
I saw a fair bit of the standard 30 cal ammo last time I looked, just no 30-30. 308, 30-06, 300 WM were available. 243, 270, less so. There was more 6.5 Grendel on the shelf than I remember ever seeing. Seems there was a lot of 6.5 Creedmore too.

I had forgotten about 5.45. I didn't see any, but didn't look either. I like 40 but it seems to have fallen out of favor. The police trade ins are usually less or just at $300 and I've been tempted more than once.
June 07, 2020 03:34AM
Me2: I rarely see 5.45 available in brick and mortar stores, it was consistently available online throughout the worst of it.

I don't mind .40 in steel frame guns, otherwise I find it unpleasant. Generally prefer 9mm or .45. If the gun chambered in it is interesting enough, I'd be tempted.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

June 08, 2020 12:19AM
Some of my more recent gun related foolishness:

My Czechoslovakian Space Gat. A 9mm CZ P07 with a Leupold DPP sight, Cajun Gunworks trigger springs. Warren tactical grip sleeve. Light is a Surefire X300U

Lovely handgun, has been my preferred carry and competition gun for about the last year and a half. The RDS took a little getting used to, but I am very much a convert. Holster is a Phlster Floodlight, a semi-universal holster that locks on to the weapon light. Very usable holster; a nice option if you don't want to wait on custom kydex.

Raifus:

AR15 on the left is the same AR15 I've always had, a Bushmaster lower with a PSA Premium upper. In the last year or so I added a Centurion C4 rail and a Streamlight HLX. Excellent rifle that has served me well.

Rifle on the right is my latest acquisition, a PWS Mk 216. A very interesting AR10, uses a long stroke gas piston system like an AK. The red dot is on there as a place holder, I am scraping the funds together for a more proper magnified optic, leaning towards a 2.5-15x24 from Meopta.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

June 08, 2020 12:42AM
Damn, love that CZ!

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
June 08, 2020 01:06AM
Chum: Thanks! I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

me2
June 08, 2020 04:50AM
Anyone tried handguns at longer ranges? I tried my M&P 9 at 50 yards, but was pretty disappointed. 3 of 6 on target once I got the hold right. The first 2 went clear over the target stand. Changed from a center hold to a 6 o'clock hold and got the 3/6 split. No elevation adjustment on this gun so I'll just have to use Kentucky elevation.
me2
June 09, 2020 04:01AM
Finally snagged some rifle powder and 30 cal bullets. Now I can make 9mm and 30-30. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have my stuff set up and be able to make some test loads for these. 9mm wasn't worth reloading until it went up to nearly double the old price. It now costs the same as fmj 5.55 used to. That's gone up to about 33% more than before. Thats locally. On line ordering is spotty but more reasonable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 04:02AM by me2.
June 10, 2020 01:29AM
I have seen 9mm go from $15 for 50 to $10 and back twice in more short life. I expect to see it happen again.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

me2
June 20, 2020 02:15AM
Finally got my AR10 back from the rifle doctor. Evidently it had a misaligned gas block and a bad charging handle. Will try to test it out tomorrow.
June 20, 2020 02:21AM
[www.bitchute.com]

An update after about 9 months with the gun. Holsters, belts, ammo, case, sights, recoil spring and guide rod.
June 20, 2020 02:04PM
Me2: I seem to be remembering that you had a PSA AR10?

Resident Emerson Fanboi

June 20, 2020 02:36PM
What do you guys think of 3-point slings? My MAK 90 is wearing a Uncle Mikes 3 point sling, and todays thinking is they suck, and I should use the 2 point that came with it, the Chinese cotton web sling. I don't mind the 3 point sling. I could see how taking it off and on again would be a pain, especially if it was unsnapped, but that is the only issue I see. I haven't really done a lot of carrying with it though, nothing outside the house.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
me2
June 20, 2020 04:46PM
I have a PSA AR15 and snagged an AR10 during memorial day weekend. I accidentally got a mismatched upper in 308 and a lower marked 6.5 Creedmore. The lowers are multi-cal, but it was an oversight on my part.
It was the last AR10 lower in the store and had a very nice 2 stage trigger and upgraded stock and grip.

Its had issues and I haven't checked to see if they are resolved yet. It fired and usually ejected, but wouldn't pick up the next round in the magazine and wouldn't lock open on the last round.

The charging handle was also very rough and would rub against the top of the receiver and actually wore the coating off there. It would also stick nearly to the point it could hold the bolt back by itself without the bolt catch engaged.

I should have bought that bolt action Savage Ryan recommended, but no returns. The few shots I tried were quite accurate before my scope mount pooped in its food dish. I've ready returned that and will replace it with the same one as on my AR15, a Weaver tactical cantilever mount with recoil lug and thumb tightenable screws, though I usually use a quarter or my Leatherman.

I really hope they got it straightened out and it works. They replaced the charging handle and aligned and reset the adjustable gas block to the factory setting. That's 2 gas blocks on 2 different rifles that needed realigning. The factory setting on the gas block is a mystery, as it came with no indication of how many clicks it should have or where it was set at the beginning.
June 21, 2020 02:14PM
Jason: 3 point slings became less appealing when people started wearing more stuff. The idea of wearing a three point over a plate carrier with mags and stuff hanging off of it doesn't sound great. I much prefer adjustable 2 point slings for that reason. Quick to get in and out of.

Me2: Yeah, there were quite a few issues with the PSA AR10s. I had the out of spec charging handle issue on my PSA AR pistol. Not a huge deal, it wore into spec. smoking smiley

Resident Emerson Fanboi

June 21, 2020 02:54PM
Bill,
Yeah, I only have a knife or two on my plate carrier. Probably why I didn't notice an issue. I have my mags on my belt.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
me2
June 21, 2020 02:59PM
That was their initial response which sucks. Shooting a brand new rifle shouldn't be the final step for finish machining.

The charging handle had issues to the point I couldn't extract a live round to clear the chamber. If it was just a little rough I could have lived with it but not being able to clear a live chambered round was a real safety issue. I haven't taken it to the range since I got it back. I won't test the charging handle and ability to clear a live round until I'm at the range. 308 is way to powerful to take any chances.
June 21, 2020 09:37PM
Hey Bill, have you used synthetic engine oil as a lubricant on guns before? I can’t remember if we’ve discussed it already.

For several years now I’ve been using absolutely nothing but Mobile 1 15W-50 full synthetic as a lubricant, rust prevention coating/film, and mild carbon removal solvent. I absolutely love it. I’ve had the same $8 quart of oil for 3 years or more and it’s still got just a hair under 28oz. left in the bottle after countless uses on a half dozen or more different guns.

Economically sound, extremely effective as a hybrid grease/oil, and pretty much completely inert. I really like it.
June 21, 2020 10:07PM
Ryan: Yeah, I have a little USGI oiler bottle full of Mobile 5W30 synthetic. It was leftovers from the last time I changed the oil in my truck. Never had issues with it, seems to stay wet on the gun much longer than something like CLP. Very cost effective compared to something like a $15 4 oz bottle of Slip 2000.

The only tick against motor oil as a weapons lube that I have heard is that it may not be ideal as a corrosion inhibitor due to some of the detergents being hygroscopic. I haven't really looked that hard into it.

I've never tried it as a cleaner, Ballistol does a nice enough job for me and doesn't have that noxious of a smell. If it is really grimy, I'll take it to work and scrub it down with kerosene and blow it all out with compressed air.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

June 21, 2020 10:25PM
Bugout Bill
Never had issues with it, seems to stay wet on the gun much longer than something like CLP. Very cost effective compared to something like a $15 4 oz bottle of Slip 2000 ...

That’s essentially what I’ve found, also. I used Ballistol and Birchwood Casey PTFE-carrying synthetic oil for a long time but I found that the 15W-50 Mobile 1 was equal or better than the Ballistol as a CLP-type product and it doesn’t have the toxicity that the Birchwood Casey stuff has, while only being minimally less slick.

It’s obviously not a copper solvent and can’t be used for heavy cleaning like that, but for simply removing the powder and copper fouling it’s perfectly fine (think of the carbon fouling inside a combustion engine that this oil is used in) and it stays on the gun for a very very long time.

About 15 months ago I gave my stepdad’s old 1980’s Remington 870 Wingmaster a full cleaning, then gave the entire gun (except the wood stocks) a moderate film of this Mobile 1, and put it back in the safe. I just checked it again a couple months ago, just over a year after the application of oil, and there was absolutely no running or evaporation. The film looked no different than it did right after I put it on. Hard to beat that performance, regardless of price.
June 22, 2020 12:41AM
Ryan: I might have to look into that.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

me2
June 27, 2020 12:10AM
I have enough cleaned cases I want to try to set up and maybe reload some this weekend. I still have some cleaning to do to set up so it might be next weekend. I was was going to do 9mm just for practice, as it seems easier and less risky than rifle ammo. With prices what they are now, it looks like I could really get a decent benefit.

Finding projectiles and primers is the most difficult part now. I have enough cases and powder to reload more 9mm than I have shot since I bought my Shield a couple of years ago. I did have to scrap more cases than I though I would due to dents and other flaws. I either got some other brass mixed in with mine from the range or the Shield is denting the ones it shoots.