Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firearms and Shooting

Posted by Bugout Bill 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Firearms and Shooting
August 21, 2016 03:33AM
Mark: Hahaha. True.

I am going to put a brace and a new flash hider on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
August 21, 2016 04:37AM
Snuck it in before the reign of Hillary. Nice job Bill.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
August 21, 2016 12:18PM
That'll get you home. How is the muzzle flip, recoil and blast? What ammo are you running?
August 21, 2016 12:50PM
Chum: The NRA gets my money to make sure we can still get these regardless of who wins. I hope they use it wisely.

These Dracos have more or less dried up due to ROMARM, the Romanian state arms manufacturer, shifting most of their civilian AK production lines back to military contracts. The Iraqis started buying a lot from them in the last two years.

Chad: I haven't shot it yet. Hell, I'm still trying to find ammo for it locally. Walmart has been out, I think the two other people in the county bought all of it.

This thing isn't getting shot until I put a comp on it. This seems to get the best reviews for a short barreled AK:

[ak-builder.com]

The gun came with a Magpul AK Pmag Gen 1, which is going to be a range only mag. The use of polymer for the locking lugs is totally unacceptable. Magpul changed that on the Gen 2, I don't know why they thought it was a good idea in the first place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

August 21, 2016 12:53PM
I have a pin on AK-74 style muzzle brake I bought for my MAK-90 that doesn't fit, if anyone needs a 922r compliant part they are welcome to it, I would be happy to send it if anyone could use it. It's just collecting dust here.

Edit:
Just to be clear, I am not selling it, just giving it away for free.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2016 12:55PM by jasonstone20.
August 21, 2016 08:34PM
I had the chance to shoot my new Springfield Arms XDM 9mm today. With the exception of the rubberized Talon grip, it is bone stock. As reference points, I also brought my Glock 19 and my S&W M&P Shield 9mm. I wanted to shoot the carry ammo (124 gr GHDP) from the Shield magazine for rotation purposes. However, I ended up not shooting the Shield for reasons I am chagrinned to mention.

The XDM really is a nice shooter. It has a softer recoil impulse than the G19, and no greater muzzle flip despite a slightly higher bore axis. The Talon grip makes a big difference to me compared to bare polymer, at least with bear hands. With gloves, it makes no real difference. I made sure to bring my tactical shooting gloves and didn’t bathe or shave for a few days so everyone would know I am a real operator.

I shot 300 rounds of Freedom Munitions 115r JHP. No malfunctions of any sort were encountered.

My first familiarization magazine through the XDM at 12 yards was enough to tell me the gun is more accurate than I am.

Two 6 shot groups at 10 yards (12 rounds total, despite that the target says 10 at 12) :

The trigger is very nice, light take up and a nice break- just a bit spongy and with a bit longer of a reset than I would like. I’ll see how it wears in before considering any custom components. The G19 trigger is now about perfect for a carry gun, smooth and crisp trigger, short definite reset. I eventually will undercut the trigger guard and get rid of the finger grooves on the G19, or may pick up one of the upcoming Gen5 versions with the FBI specs.

Note that even with the G17 magazine sticking out the butt a bit, the G19 is still a couple rounds short of the capacity of the XDM. As a side note, the G17 mags are Mag Pul Pmags and I’ve found them to be every bit as reliable as the OEM mags. I still use the OEM mags for carry, but would not hesitate to rely on the Pmags based on now well over 1000 rounds through them.

Here is 20 rounds (a full 19+1) in under 10 seconds at 7 yards:

For the specific role I am using this XDM for, I think it fills the bill very nicely. But I think any of the current offerings from Glock Sig, Walther, CZ or Smith & Wesson among others are equivalent. The current standards for firearms design and manufacturing and the impact on accuracy and reliability really provide consumers with some great options.

I did get the chance to shoot a Walther PPQ as a nice comparison point, as my lane-neighbor wanted to try my G19. I think the M2 version of the PPQ is every bit as nice as the XDM, and actually think it has the best feeling stock grip of the high cap polymer 9’s.

As an aside, I downloaded a shot timer app for my iPhone but found it useless in a range where other shooters are shooting... the timer can't tell the difference between your shots and your neighbors no matter what the mic setting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2016 08:44PM by chad234.
August 21, 2016 10:44PM
Chad,
Nice shooting. They did manage to stuff a ton of bullets in the XD!

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
August 22, 2016 12:17AM
Chad: How did you like the trigger on the PPQ?

Resident Emerson Fanboi

August 22, 2016 12:56AM
It was superb for a striker fired duty weapon. It is not a tuned single action target pistol, but excellent for what it is. I would like to shoot more of the PPQ for sure.
August 22, 2016 03:36AM
chad234
However, I ended up not shooting the Shield for reasons I am chagrinned to mention.

Spill!

I've heard lot's of positive reviews on the PPQ. I'd like to give one a try.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
August 23, 2016 01:53AM
Jasonstone20: The MAK-90s are gorgeous rifles too. It's a shame Norinco tried to sell anti-tank missiles to the Crips, they made really good, cheap stuff.

The era of the cheap AK is unfortunately gone, even WASRs are getting up there in price.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

September 04, 2016 04:22PM
Made two major upgrades to the Draco; adding a KAK Industries Shockwave brace, as well as opening up the rear sight into a v-notch type express sight:

It is now a practical gun; handy and quick to bring on target. However, it is in dire need of a muzzle device before I would consider it to be a suitable PDW. The reason is quite clear on video:

[www.instagram.com]

The blast and noise isn't too bad when you shoot it, as the whole world basically goes white. When my buddy was shooting it, it was obnoxious. Everyone at the range wanted to know what I was shooting.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

September 04, 2016 06:25PM
Definitely needs a suppressor smiling smiley

Chumgeyser on Youtube
September 04, 2016 06:29PM
Chum: I would agree, but they are verboten in Illinois.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

September 04, 2016 08:26PM
That is an awesome blaster. Have you considered getting a tax stamp to SBR it?
September 04, 2016 10:03PM
Chad: Illinois does not permit the ownership of SBRs or SBSs unless you have a Curio and Relic license; so it is a whole other layer of paperwork and red tape.

The Shockwave brace seems sufficient to provide stability. I am planning on getting a sling too, which should help.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

September 04, 2016 10:50PM
A cheekweld without a point of contact on the shoulder does not seem like a comfortable way to fire a 7.62x39 rifle. Is it a filling shaker? Can you pad the side of the brace?
September 04, 2016 11:40PM
Chad: Honestly, recoil wasn't all that bad with just a cheekweld, no comment as to when incidental, unintended shoulder contact occurred. With just a cheekweld, the recoil isn't severe enough to throw rear of the brace into your shoulder.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2016 11:49PM by Bugout Bill.
September 05, 2016 12:15AM
On an aside, I prefer the AK over the AR for the pure reason that it has soul.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

September 05, 2016 02:09AM
The NFA needs to be repealed....along with dumb knife laws.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2016 02:10AM by jasonstone20.
September 05, 2016 03:14AM
Jason: it is banabas. I was explaining it to my friend last night, he completely blanked when I explained how Any Other Weapons only require a $5 tax stamp to transfer.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

September 15, 2016 07:39PM
I've always wanted a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special. This old fashioned 50th Anniversary edition is especially appealing to me...

Charter Arms Special 50 Anniversary Bulldog
Model: 34435
Finish: Black
Frame: Carbon Steel
Grip: Wood
Barrel length: 3.0"
Capacity: 5-shot
Caliber: .44 Special
Hammer: Standard
Weight: 20 oz.

Description: MODEL 34435 IS SPECIALLY ENGRAVED FOR CHARTER ARM'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY AND FEATURES A GOLD INLAY IN THE FRAME. Known for its rugged reliability and stopping power, Charter’s Bulldog is a versatile revolver for personal or home protection. With a barrel length of 3.0”, this .44 Special 50th Anniversary Bulldog is one of the larger revolvers to qualify for concealed carry. This safe, reliable revolver is powerful enough for serious home protection, but has the size and functionality for effective concealed carry!

If you are looking for a safe, reliable revolver powerful enough for serious home protection, but with the size and functionality for effective concealed carry, Charter’s .44 Special 50th Anniversary Bulldog is an outstanding double-duty choice for the job. Target model also available with 4” barrel and adjustable rear sight.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
September 15, 2016 10:04PM
So did you "pull the trigger" and buy one?

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
September 15, 2016 10:15PM
Mark a
So did you "pull the trigger" and buy one?

It's a lot of money. I'm mulling it over. Going to do a little more research on the Bulldogs.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
September 15, 2016 11:01PM
Chum:

For that kind of money, you could get a Smith and Wesson 629 and some nice wood grips.

I've heard mixed things about recent production Charter Arms. I'd rather have a Smith.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

September 15, 2016 11:15PM
I would imagine they're just fine for defense, but wouldn't pick one for recreational shooting.
September 15, 2016 11:16PM
Bugout Bill
Chum:

For that kind of money, you could get a Smith and Wesson 629 and some nice wood grips.

I've heard mixed things about recent production Charter Arms. I'd rather have a Smith.

A 629 is waaaay bigger and heavier than the Bulldog Two completely different guns. The Bulldog is small enough and light enough (20 oz) to carry concealed comfortably.

There actually isn't a S&W that falls into this size range exactly. You can get a slightly smaller S&W that holds 5 rounds of whatever, then it jumps up to guns that are significantly heavier and bulkier. The S&W 327 Performance Shop is the closest thing I can find to the Bulldog (from S&W anyway.) It is slightly heavier and considerably more bulky than the Bulldog...

Smith & Wesson Model 327
The price is $1,309.00 *

*Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

SKU: 170245
Model: 327
Caliber: .357 Magnum®
.38 S&W Special +P
Capacity: 8 Rounds
Barrel Length: 2" / 5.1 cm
Front Sight: Red Ramp
Rear Sight: Fixed
Grip: Wood
Trigger: Color Case with Overtravel Stop
Hammer: Color Case Tear Drop with Pinned Sear
Frame: Large - Exposed Hammer
Finish: Matte Black
Overall Length: 7" / 17.8 cm
Material: Scandium Alloy Frame
Titanium Alloy Cylinder
Weight Empty: 21.4 oz / 606.7 g

Chumgeyser on Youtube
September 15, 2016 11:20PM
Chum: This one?

Resident Emerson Fanboi

September 16, 2016 04:42AM
Bugout Bill
Chum: This one?

Nearly 38 ounces. The Governor is only 30 ounces...

Chumgeyser on Youtube
September 16, 2016 01:07PM
Chum: The comfort comes from having it, not carrying it.

Resident Emerson Fanboi