Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firearms and Shooting

Posted by Bugout Bill 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Firearms and Shooting
September 25, 2016 02:39PM

I can certainly recomend the Underwood- pushing a 180gr Hornady XTP at 1300fps. That is faster than Hornady runs their excellent custom line 155gr. Underwood runs the 155gr at 1500fps for 775 ft/lb of muzzle energy. In comparison, Hornady runs the 155 at 1180fps for 479ft lb in .40. That is obviously a considerable difference. Of course .40 is a fraction of the price to shoot, so having a spare barrel is nice from that stand point too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2016 02:52PM by chad234.
September 25, 2016 03:22PM

The camera angle of the first picture is tilted because a bear was messing with it.
September 25, 2016 08:22PM
Great info Chad... as always. I asked about the 10mm Glock because the idea of owning both the smallest, and largest, Glocks is appealing to me for some reason. That and 10mm ammo has been on sale where I get most of my ammo for several months now.

Given what you stated regarding the recoil, I don't think I want a G20/G40. I probably wouldn't enjoy shooting the hotter rounds, and shooting the less powerful rounds out of a 10mm doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Might as well just go with a smaller, cheaper, caliber. If I lived where Ryan is I might reconsider spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Here is another question (for the forum) regarding Glocks, or handguns in general... Do you find that your accuracy increases with a longer sight radius? I notice this quite a bit when going from a handgun to a rifle, but not much with a shorter barreled handgun to a longer barreled handgun. It may be because the guns themselves are different however. I don't, for example, have a G34 and a G26. I am probably the most accurate with my Ruger Super Blackhawk, which has a 7.5" barrel, but then again if I compare that to say my S&W 686 with a 4" barrel, the Ruger is much heavier and the guns handle very differently.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
September 25, 2016 08:26PM
Any Cal.
If you want a revolver, you would likely be far better off starting with a production gun of some sort. If nothing else, it would keep someone from having to design from scratch. You could make or have made as many parts as you like, perhaps in stages. Something like a K or L-frame, then start changing out parts. Or an SP101, or the Bearcat. Obviously much cheaper to build a new grip frame than to design and build one...

Very good idea Any Cal.

Your comments on machining make my idea seem very daunting. Perhaps it isn't the greatest of my ideas spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I'm not sure I want to invest as much time and energy as will be needed.

Altering an existing gun is sounding like a better way to go.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
September 26, 2016 02:41AM
Why the choice of .380, if I can ask? I can guess, but curious.

I find firearms in non-traditional calibers interesting. Once knew a guy with a turn of the century .25 rimfire/pinfire of some sort converted to .25 ACP. Not something you see every day...
September 26, 2016 04:36AM
Any Cal.
Why the choice of .380, if I can ask? I can guess, but curious.

I find firearms in non-traditional calibers interesting. Once knew a guy with a turn of the century .25 rimfire/pinfire of some sort converted to .25 ACP. Not something you see every day...

I've talked about why I like the .380 acp in this thread but here is a quick breakdown...
- Centerfire reliability
- Generally sub-sonic (good for suppression and no sonic crack)
- Won't blow your eardrums out if you have to use it without ear protection
- Very low recoil (secondary shots are faster and easier to place)

When it comes to a revolver...
- you could have an extremely short cylinder, which can reduce the entire size/weight of the gun
- .380 acp in moon clips would load faster and more reliably than anything longer (little play)

I also think a .22lr (especially modern ammo) offers enough penetration to stop any human instantly. It's all about shot placement. Smaller calibers have the potential for better shot placement at higher rates of fire. The .380 is considerably more powerful than the .22lr and considerably cheaper and more available than other small calibers other than the .22lr.

I'm just a big fan of the .380acp.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
September 26, 2016 04:42AM
Chum: You have any experience with 9x18mm Makarov?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
September 26, 2016 05:38AM
Bugout Bill
Chum: You have any experience with 9x18mm Makarov?

I shot one decades ago, just one time. So, not really.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
September 26, 2016 07:01AM
Its like the .38 ACP but even lower energy than that.
September 27, 2016 06:24AM
I was asking about your reasons to see if there was anything else that would do the same thing, kind of like Bill. If you reload, you can make .38 S&W (not special), 9x18, 9x19, or possibly .32 S&W do what you want. Also, I think you can get all but the 9x18 in J-frame snubs.

Other calibers would work ballistically, but they are all longer cases.

I think you could run the .38 S&W in .38 Special chambers, or at worst very slightly modified ones. Then you could choose from any of the Airweight .38 Specials too. You might do some research to see if the .38 S&W snubs had a shorter cylinder than the Specials.

How light are you trying to get it? The .38s are quite a bit under 16oz, or can be. The lighter, smaller guns are also pretty difficult to shoot well. Lighter isn't necessarily better.

Lastly, for custom, interesting, and caliber of your choice, consider a derringer or boot gun. One or two shots. Quieter than a revo, and you could have a longer barrel for better sight radius. No bulge from the cylinder either.
October 02, 2016 06:49PM

I think this is my favorite gun that I own. A 2003 Kingman Spyder Imagine, with a couple of minor upgrades. A CP Classic barrel in .685 bore diameter, Shocktech high rise clamping feed neck, and a Warrior roller bearing trigger. I recently ordered a couple more upgrades for it, those being a CP Razor drop forward, CP ASA, new O-rings, a Shocktech low pressure chamber (the silver tube below the barrel), and some Dye Sticky grips. Of all the guns I have (6 not including this one), it's definitely been the most fun to shoot and the most used.
October 02, 2016 07:55PM
Any Cal.
How light are you trying to get it? The .38s are quite a bit under 16oz, or can be. The lighter, smaller guns are also pretty difficult to shoot well. Lighter isn't necessarily better.

I'm not sure. It would be a balancing act between weight and design mitigating recoil and muzzle flip. This is a gun I would take to range, use for home defense and hike with. Lighter is better for my purposes.

Any Cal.
Lastly, for custom, interesting, and caliber of your choice, consider a derringer or boot gun. One or two shots. Quieter than a revo, and you could have a longer barrel for better sight radius. No bulge from the cylinder either.

I will. Thanks Any Cal.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 02, 2016 07:56PM
Pretty sweet Ryan.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 02, 2016 08:11PM
Ryan: I had a pair of roommates that were really into paintball my junior year of college and both abruptly moved on. I think one of them had a Kingman that we used to shoot the door of our apartment on a few occasions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 02, 2016 10:58PM
I just got back into playing over the summer. I hadn't in years, probably since 2007. It's definitely fun for me though, it's like playing war. Except nobody dies.
October 02, 2016 10:59PM
Ryan: And you don't get laughed at, unlike airsoft.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 02, 2016 11:04PM
Airsoft is fun, but the issue I have with it is that it's basically an honor system. It's pretty obvious when someone gets shot with a paintball, not so much with airsoft bb's. Luckily for us there is a really nice local paintball course (outdoor, 10 maps) that's pretty cheap to play at.
October 03, 2016 12:38AM
Ryan: Nice. Good local range facilities are a precious thing, be they paintball or otherwise.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 04, 2016 12:30AM
One thing that really was 100% new to me when I got back into paintball was compressed air. The first time I played again with some friends was pretty strange. I brought some of my old CO2 tanks and they all had these roundish and bulky/heavy tanks with gauges on them. I was quite confused and asked what was going on. They said that most people used compressed air now, and cited the advantages of compressed air over CO2. It makes a lot of sense, but CO2 is still much cheaper and you get more shots per refill. CO2 is far more economical in both the cost of the tanks and the cost of refills, but compressed air is far better in all other aspects, though aluminum CO2 tanks are lighter than the aluminum compressed air tanks. Compressed air is much easier on the gun and it's O-rings, doesn't change in pressure in different weather conditions, and is obviously more environmentally friendly than CO2. This was all completely new to me, otherwise it's the same old fun-as-could be game.
October 04, 2016 05:27AM
Simunition or nothing.
October 04, 2016 10:04AM
Old Spice
Simunition or nothing.

I wish. Then we'd be real commandos.
October 04, 2016 09:51PM
Has anyone shot the Walther PPQ, and if so how does it compare to a Glock. I'm reading/watching that people generally consider it to feel better in the hand, and I haven't read/watched any review that didn't praise the PPQ as having one of, if not the, best trigger on a striker fired pistol. I am curious.

I plan on going to the range this weekend and renting as many 9mms as possible. I'm hoping they have a PPQ for rent.

On another note. Part of my interest in a .380 acp revolver is to see how much more compact you can make the gun, and what the balance would be like, when you shrink the cylinder length for the short .380 acp round. Most revolvers that take a 9mm, for instance, just use a same cylinder length that they use on their .38 special/.357 mag counterparts. This bothers me. Here is an example of a pistol designed around the 9mm cartridge, notice how short the cylinder is...

This is a collaboration pistol by Korth and Nighthawk Customs, called the Skyhawk...

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 04, 2016 11:40PM
Chum: No experience with the PPQ, but have heard good things as well. That Korth is a looker, but you will pay for it.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 05, 2016 03:43AM
Bugout Bill
That Korth is a looker, but you will pay for it.

No, that is a nice looking gun, but if I were to get a 9mm snubby it would be the faaaaar cheaper Ruger LCR... and the LCR isn't really that cheap.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 05, 2016 12:22PM
Chum: The LC9 is interesting, as is the Korth conversion cylinder for the S&W 686.

The only real issues I have heard with 9mm revolvers is that the casings can stick, as well as the bullets occasionally working themselves out of the case, though that is only an issue with some cheaper ammo.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 06, 2016 03:39PM
Because I am rained out of work today, I can ramble. Yay!

My Draco Pseudo-carbine is complete!

The rundown of modifications:

-KAK Shockwave Brace with ACE side-folder mech.

Effectively makes the gun useful, as well as allowing for the brace to be folded for transport. The whole gun easily fits in a normal sized duffel bag. A bit of a pain to install, though.

-V-notch rear sight

A subtle mod, I opened up the rear sight with a Spyderco CBN rod, makes it a bit easier to acquire than stock, while still being narrow enough to allow for accuracy.

-Blue Force Gear AK sling

Adjustable two point slings are great, this one is no exception. While the plastic hardware is a bit of a turnoff, the general design is a bit better than the 5.11/VTAC sling.

-CNC Warrior Bulgarian 4 piece comp

Considered to be the best flash hider for compact AKs short of a supressor, I will know whether this works when I go shooting this Saturday.

Overall Impressions:

In general, this is a lovely little compact carbine that will give more than adequate firepower despite it's short barrel. Ammo is cheap, it's fun to shoot, and it enjoys considerable industry support. Plus, its got a little more "cool" factor than most ARs.

There is a lot of bad, however.

The downsides can be divided into two categories:

-Inherent to the platform (Not an AR syndrome)

-Modifications

In regards to the first, the controls and handling are different than an AR15. If you are open minded, you can deal with it. Every little quirk on the gun, whether it be the rocking mags or lack of bolt hold open makes sense if you understand why it was done and how to deal with it. Mag changes require gross action, as does charging the gun. You will not screw things up.

Amusingly, people who have little to no experience on AR15s tend to like the AK platform and pick up on it quickly, dedicated AR15 people tend to hate it.

The second issue, however, revolves almost entirely around the compensator. It is a damned heavy chunk of metal, clocking in at 8.5 oz. You add that to an already heavy gun (about 7.5 pounds loaded) with a muzzle heavy balance, the handling is a bit horrific. Low ready gets tiring quick, though high ready is considerably more comfortable. Still, this is not a gun I would want to keep aimed on a target for a long time. If the comp works, though, I might put up with it.

Furthermore, the Bulgy Comp does add considerable length. This is it compared to a 16 inch barreled AR15:

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2016 03:46PM by Bugout Bill.
October 06, 2016 04:40PM
Bill, I like how much thought you have put into this AK. I really like the patchwork look of it. It reminds me of Fallout... in a cool way.

I'm interested to hear how your flash suppressor performs.

btw... have you shot an SKS, and if so how do you compare it to AKs in general?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 06, 2016 04:50PM
Chum: Thanks. I still need to stain the hand-guard to match everything else.

Never shot an SKS, the supply dried up by the time I got of buying age and got to the point that you could get an AK for the same price. I've heard good things about them in general provided you do some minor tweaks like changing out the firing pin. Otherwise, I think the SKS is a better "working" rifle; something you could keep around on a farm or trail for personal defense or hunting.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 06, 2016 06:17PM
Bill,
Awesome looking rifle!

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
October 06, 2016 06:30PM
Hey chum, that is the Chinese assist rifle from fo3. Lol.

Nice gun Bill.

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD