Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firearms and Shooting

Posted by Bugout Bill 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Firearms and Shooting
October 06, 2016 06:35PM
Thanks all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
October 07, 2016 12:16AM
You made it yours for sure, look forward to the shooting report with the new comp. ask the guy next to you too!
October 07, 2016 12:29AM
Chad: Ha. The local range I go to has a separate rifle area, so usually the people near me know what they are getting into. That being said, I gave warning to other people before I shot it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 07, 2016 05:27AM
Mark a
Hey chum, that is the Chinese assist rifle from fo3. Lol.

Nice gun Bill.

Bill in FO3...

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
October 07, 2016 10:31AM
Bill the vault dweller. Is that a pip boy? I'd give my left arm for one of those!

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
October 07, 2016 05:24PM
If pip boys were real, it would be the greatest thing ever. V.A.T.S would really come in handy, among other things.
October 07, 2016 05:54PM
It'd take some of the joy out of eating though.
October 07, 2016 06:38PM
Ha, true Luis.
October 08, 2016 02:16AM
Ruger just dropped the new LCP II. Thoughts? Safety concerns over the lighter trigger in a pocket carry weapon?
[youtu.be]

Look forward to some side by side reviews
October 08, 2016 03:29AM
Chad: anything is an improvement over the original. Given Ruger's lawyer safe reputation, I doubt there will be any issues

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 08, 2016 03:35AM
chad234
Ruger just dropped the new LCP II. Thoughts? Safety concerns over the lighter trigger in a pocket carry weapon?
[youtu.be]

Look forward to some side by side reviews

Looks like a great pocket pistol. I like all the improvements mentioned.

I wouldn't pocket carry without a holster so I think the lighter trigger is a bonus.

I actually figured out a way to attach my Crossbreed holster, for the G42, to the inside of one of my 5.11 pants pockets. This makes it easier to draw than belt carry and it is also more comfortable to carry. I practice drawing and firing quite a bit, and I practice keeping my trigger finger straight, and off of the trigger, until I have the pistol pointed forward. I think if you get into that habit you are safe.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 08, 2016 04:33AM
Chum: Excellent points. If you are going to carry without a holster, keep the chamber empty.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 08, 2016 07:41AM
I believe Paul Harrell is referencing Reid Henrichs in his video. Regardless, it is interesting how these two consider firearms for home defense...

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 08, 2016 12:08PM
It is actually re-holster and a snag that I worry about more. I carry the LCP alone in its holster, nothing else in the pocket. For what I imagine will be a nominal cost, I'll upgrade if I like the feel. Doesn't look like the molded holsters will work, but no big deal there.
October 08, 2016 02:16PM
Chum: Interesting perspectives.

I like shotguns, but they are not the panacea that a lot of people hold them to be. They are generally more cumbersome than a carbine, every action you need to do the the gun is complicated, and ammo is a pain to both manipulate and carry. That being said, they do have a lot of advantages as long as you practice the elements of shotgunnery other than shooting.

I am solidly in the camp of "long guns beat everything". I keep my shotgun around for home defense over something like an AR only because I live in an exterior studio apartment and I am more confident in the walls within my field of fire stopping 00 buck than a slug or a 5.56 round. That being said, if I have traveled to someone's house, (and it is acceptable) I generally have my AR/AK or my 12 gauge loaded with slugs, as opposed to a compromise round. In an upstairs of a house or similar, I have much clearer fields of fire to allow for heavier stuff.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 08, 2016 07:14PM
chad234
It is actually re-holster and a snag that I worry about more. I carry the LCP alone in its holster, nothing else in the pocket. For what I imagine will be a nominal cost, I'll upgrade if I like the feel. Doesn't look like the molded holsters will work, but no big deal there.

I wouldn't carry anything else in the pocket except a gun and holster. I would think it would be fairly difficult to get to snag, but I don't know.

Chad, have you considered the Seecamp in .380 or .32? Many refer to that as the premier pocket pistol.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 08, 2016 07:23PM
Bugout Bill
I like shotguns, but they are not the panacea that a lot of people hold them to be. They are generally more cumbersome than a carbine, every action you need to do the the gun is complicated, and ammo is a pain to both manipulate and carry. That being said, they do have a lot of advantages as long as you practice the elements of shotgunnery other than shooting.

I am solidly in the camp of "long guns beat everything". I keep my shotgun around for home defense over something like an AR only because I live in an exterior studio apartment and I am more confident in the walls within my field of fire stopping 00 buck than a slug or a 5.56 round. That being said, if I have traveled to someone's house, (and it is acceptable) I generally have my AR/AK or my 12 gauge loaded with slugs, as opposed to a compromise round. In an upstairs of a house or similar, I have much clearer fields of fire to allow for heavier stuff.

I view shotguns for hunting or fun target shooting. I don't like the idea of them for home defense, except perhaps for a pump .410. Even then... low rounds, takes a long time to reload, kinda unwieldy indoors, will blow out your eardrums. I'd much rather have a pistol caliber carbine. Less unwieldy, less likely to blow out your eardrums, fast to reload.

I like a pistol for home defense simply because it keeps one of your hands free if need be, and it would be the easiest to use in tight areas. I don't get the people that do not want a light on the home defense pistol. You can still carry a flashlight if you want, but shooting while holding a flashlight is less effective that just shooting with two hands.

I have my Glock 42 and Sig p220 in a quick access safe by the bed. I also have heavy duty flashlight in reach by the bed.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 09, 2016 02:11AM
Fired the AK with Bulgy flash hider today, no video unfortunately. The thing works really, really well. The Draco went from a 4 foot fireball and huge blast to something slightly worse than a 16 in AR. No flash, not too obnoxious blast; just some smoke and the occasional few sparks. Remarkable thing.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 09, 2016 03:24AM
Bugout Bill
Fired the AK with Bulgy flash hider today, no video unfortunately. The thing works really, really well. The Draco went from a 4 foot fireball and huge blast to something slightly worse than a 16 in AR. No flash, not too obnoxious blast; just some smoke and the occasional few sparks. Remarkable thing.

Nice Bill! I've got AK envy.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 09, 2016 04:25AM
Chum: Come to the dark side, just don't by an IO AK.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 09, 2016 01:06PM
What is considered the best milled receiver AK? How about one with a sweet spot for value:/quality?

What kind of accuracy are you seeing with the short barrel? Velocity loss?
October 09, 2016 01:59PM
Chad,
I was going to ask the same thing, as the AK market has changed a lot in the last 10-20 years. It used to be the Russian varieties were top notch, then the Bulgarians, then I think everyone else (Egyptian, Romanian, Hungarian, Chinese). Now you have WASR-10s, NPAPs, IO, CIA, DD, ect and I stopped paying attention.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
October 09, 2016 02:00PM
Chad: Accuracy is fine for what it is. You can make lethal hits on a silhouette target at 25 yards and more than likely still dangerous out to 75-100 yds. For its intended use, it is more than capable. I picked 7.62 due to the fact that the projectile is going to still have mass despite the velocity loss, so you still retain some barrier penetration that you would lose in 5.56.

As for your first question, two points:

-AKs are a crapshoot.

-There are people who know a lot more than me.

I would really suggest finding a dedicated AK47 enthusiast (preferably a gunsmith) who with let you pick their brain. You can learn a lot.

That being said, I really question the advantage of a milled receiver over stamped one. The only reason the Russians used milled receivers initially is that they hadn't perfected stamping and had to import German engineers to teach them how to properly do it. The golden rule of AKs in general is as long as the gun was built correctly, it will be fine.

I've heard alright things about the Yugoslav guns, but they have had issues with spotty QC and are often more overbuilt than necessary. If you want to spend money, Arsenals are absolutely solid, but for the prices they ask you could probably find a decent parts kit build gun. Century has got a new milled AK which is supposed to be alright, but they don't share parts commonality in terms of AK furniture.

As for that sweet spot, if milled is a must, go for a Yugo. If not, a WASR-10. Both are in general quite solid, I have a preference for the WASR due to the fact that they are imported as complete guns. That minimizes the opportunity for people to mess them up.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 09, 2016 04:33PM
Jason: The biggest difference with the AK market is nothing is cheap. A MAK-90 will easily sell for north of $1200, I've heard of mint Norincos selling for $1500+. Romy and Hungarian parts build guns, provided they are done well, are easily around $900.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 09, 2016 04:48PM
Bill,
It's funny, AR-15 are more affordable nowadays, right?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
October 09, 2016 04:59PM
Jason: By leaps and bounds. I bought my AR online, lower and upper receiver separately about a year and a half ago. The lower is a Bushmaster, the upper was a milspec premium upper from Palmetto State Armory. I think I paid $660 total, you can get a basic DPMS for about $600. The AR market is a buyers market. I have watched WASR-10s go from about $550 to $725 in the same period of time.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 09, 2016 06:51PM
Chum- I checked out a 32 Seecamp, very nice little gun despite the ammo restrictions. I haven't seen one in .380 locally, but would like to try one out. My concern is that it may be too small- a one finger grip, with the LCP, I get a solid two finger grip which is the minimum for me to feel comfortable firing.

Bill- I had a MAK 90 and someone made me an offer I could not refuse. Also had a heavy Bulgarian AK, but again was offered much more than I paid for it...

I'd like to take a rifle class soon.
October 09, 2016 07:11PM
Chad: People who know what they are talking about are a great thing. I am fortunate the main gun store/range that I go to has a few employees that are fairly knowledgeable in AKs. Compared to ARs, gunsmiths need to be fairly specialized in the platform to know what problems to look for and how to fix them, as well as providing advice on AKs in general.

The one guy I talked to has said that they have been trying for a while to get a class dedicated to AKs set up, but they had their were issues getting instructors so it fell through. The class sounded interesting, but some of the AK stuff can be a bit derpy, like a good chunk of Israeli tactical courses.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 12, 2016 02:44AM
It took social media for me to learn about the most badass handgun ever... but it is the most badass handgun ever....

LEMAT CAVALRY REVOLVER
- 9 shot cylinder
- .38 Short Colt
- PLUS a single Center 20 gauge

I will be giving the new Westworld series a try. I loved the original movie and Ed Harris seems like a great choice to be the Yul Brenner android (if that is in fact who he is playing. I don't know, I'm just going by the picture.)

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 12, 2016 03:01AM
Weren't they originally cap and ball guns?

I loved the LeMat as a kid, I thought they were a lot less cool when I learned about them and became a cynical ol gun nut.

Resident Emerson Fanboi