Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firearms and Shooting

Posted by Bugout Bill 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Firearms and Shooting
December 21, 2016 01:34AM
Thanks Bill. That trigger looks nice, nickel teflon coated similar to robar
December 21, 2016 03:03AM
Chad: I'd be interested to hear what you think regardless of what trigger you choose. Anything from the Geissele group is g2g, though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
December 21, 2016 11:17AM
Will do Bill. Before I worry about a trigger though, I've got to get some magazine issues sorted out in the x39.... if it won't run 100% then bye bye.
December 21, 2016 09:56PM
Chad: What mags are you using and what is the problem? I have read some things saying that the feed ramps may be the cause of a lot of the supposed mag issues in .30 Russian ARs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2016 10:01PM by Bugout Bill.
December 22, 2016 05:14AM
Two really nice looking new revolvers...

A 7 shot 9mm revolver at this size and weight!?! I bet shooting this gun is like butter.

PERFORMANCE CENTERĀ® Model 986 2.5" Barrel
$1,129.00
SKU: 10227
Model: PERFORMANCE CENTERĀ® Model 986 2.5" Barrel
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 7
Barrel Length: 2.5" / 6.4 cm
Overall Length: 7.5"
Front Sight: Red Ramp
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Action: Single/Double Action
Grip: Custom Wood
Weight: 31.7 oz / 898.7g
Cylinder Material: Titanium
Barrel Material: Stainless Steel
Frame Material: Stainless Steel
Purpose: Competition Shooting, Enthusiast

An 8 shot .357 magnum Ruger Redhawk. What a beast of a snubbie!

Model Number: 5033 Caliber: 357 Mag

GripsHardwood
Front SightRamp
Barrel Length2.75"
MaterialStainless Steel

Capacity8
Rear SightAdjustable
Twist1:18.75" RH
FinishSatin Stainless

Overall Length8.25"
Weight44 oz.
Grooves6
CA ApprovedNo
MA Approved & CertifiedNo
Suggested Retail$1079.00

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
December 22, 2016 10:47PM
Old Spice
I have a friend who wants to buy a revolver but also wants it to be less snappy than say a .38, but more powerful than a .25acp. The barrel needs to be short and over all the gun needs to be as light as possible. The intended role to be filled is self-defense, the person has their reasons for the requirements as given even if they seem strange to you.

What can you guys recommend or suggest for overview?

Did your friend buy a gun, or narrow down the possibilities? Is your "friend" really you Old Spice? It's ok if it is. We won't judge you spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Chumgeyser on Youtube
December 22, 2016 11:39PM
Chum: I'd prefer the 986 if the barrel was another half inch longer.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

December 22, 2016 11:43PM
Bugout Bill
Chum: I'd prefer the 986 if the barrel was another half inch longer.

It actually is about a half inch longer. The 9mm cylinders are shorter than the .357 cylinders. The barrel on the S&W 9mms are longer to deal with the shorter cylinder. You can see it in the picture.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
December 23, 2016 01:43AM
I put 50 rounds through my Glock 42 today. I had SIX failure to ejects!!! I was a little shocked.

I believe it was the craptastic Blazer Brass that was the source of the issue. I'm done with that ammo. I've had too many issues, in various calibers, with Blazer Brass.

Regardless of the source, it makes me trust semi-autos less than revolvers... which has always been the case with me. I have never fully trusted semi-auto handguns or folding knives spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

An ammo issue with a revolver isn't much of an issue. Just pull the trigger again. To me, this is probably the biggest advantage revolvers have over semi-autos for self defense. Reliability is King. If it fails to fire you are f... well, you know what you are.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
December 23, 2016 03:03AM
Chum: if something goes wrong with a semi-auto, I can fix it. If something goes wrong with a revolver, the gun is down.

It is the owners responsibility to make sure the gun runs, I'll always take a 15+ round semi auto that I trust over a revolver just because it might be more reliable.

Firearms reliability is, at the end of the day, a gamble. You are trusting a long chain of things to go right with the cartridge, let alone the gun.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

December 23, 2016 03:18AM
Bugout Bill
Chum: if something goes wrong with a semi-auto, I can fix it. If something goes wrong with a revolver, the gun is down.

I've heard this before, but I've never had anything go wrong with any of my revolvers other than misfires. No worries, just pull the trigger again.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
December 23, 2016 04:15AM
Chum
Bugout Bill

I've heard this before, but I've never had anything go wrong with any of my revolvers other than misfires. No worries, just pull the trigger again.

Still something that nags me and keeps me away from economical revolvers.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

December 23, 2016 07:28AM
Had a family range trip where my Oldest Sister couldn't close the cylinder of her revolver. She couldn't figure out what was going on. She handed me the revolver and it took me a second to see the ejector rod had loosened just enough to not be able to fit in the spring detente slot.
December 23, 2016 04:13PM
I have read too many accounts of revolvers locking up to ever trust one 100%

Then again, I don't trust any gun 100%.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

December 23, 2016 11:32PM
Hey guys,

I don't really need and more firearms, but I just got an email from AIM and they have LEO trade-in SIG P220s in .45 for ~$430. From what I can tell it looks like a really solid price.

I've thought about buying a 45 for a long time just to have one to shoot occasionally. Been blowing a lot of money lately with the holidays and the ding on my BB13 from Busse, but I might roll with it and pick one up anyway. grinning smiley

Feedback welcome if anyone has one.

-Nate
December 24, 2016 02:39AM
Chum, surprised to hear the G42 is having issues, did the rounds fire when tried a second time? (One reason a da/sa with restrike can be an advantage). Like you, I suspect it is a bad batch of ammo, especially if you're using a stock striker and springs.

Nate, that sounds like a smoking good deal. I love my P220, great shooting gun and carries amazingly well for a full size gun. Chum has one as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2016 02:44AM by chad234.
December 24, 2016 04:59AM
Thanks Chad, nice pics. Definitely leaning toward grabbing one. I hate to pass on a bargain.

-Nate
December 24, 2016 05:07AM
Nate T
Hey guys,

I don't really need and more firearms, but I just got an email from AIM and they have LEO trade-in SIG P220s in .45 for ~$430. From what I can tell it looks like a really solid price.

I've thought about buying a 45 for a long time just to have one to shoot occasionally. Been blowing a lot of money lately with the holidays and the ding on my BB13 from Busse, but I might roll with it and pick one up anyway. grinning smiley

Feedback welcome if anyone has one.

The Sig p220 is a great all around handgun. If I could have only one handgun it would be on the short list of my choices.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
December 24, 2016 05:23AM
chad234
Chum, surprised to hear the G42 is having issues, did the rounds fire when tried a second time? (One reason a da/sa with restrike can be an advantage). Like you, I suspect it is a bad batch of ammo, especially if you're using a stock striker and springs.

They did fire when tried a second time. It looked like there was some sort of corrosion on the shells. I think this had something to do with the issue. This G42 has been problem free until this batch of ammo (and the couple of jams I had when I used the magazine extension.)

Good point on the da/sa. It isn't as good as a revolver, but it is one step up from any gun that you can't simply pull the trigger again for a potential firing.

Nate... one more thing about the P220... I love the trigger on that thing. The double action is long and heavy, and there is some creep to it. The single action pull, on the other hand, is possibly perfect. There is a little bit of super smooth, super light, travel. Then you hit a distinct wall. Push a little more, there is a crisp break and the hammer falls.

I get why da/sa isn't a great choice for competition shooting. You are almost never worried about a trigger being too light, and you have to deal with two different trigger pulls. The Sig p220, and the CZ P09 get it right for a defensive semi-auto imo. That long, heavy, first pull isn't going to slow you down if you have to fire the gun up close and quickly and you are juiced with adrenaline. If there is any more time to assess the situation then you will have plenty of time to cock back the hammer if you like.

I also like the de-cocking function. Extra safety.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
December 24, 2016 12:43PM
Drat, got the email at 5:30pm yesterday and they're already sold out this morning. I knew they'd go fast but damn... Hope they expect more.

-Nate
December 31, 2016 10:09PM

Can anyone guess what the larger, darker colored shell is?

Hint - the smaller, brighter one is a .243 Winchester with a 58 grain V-Max bullet.
December 31, 2016 10:59PM
Ryan: Hmm. I'll guess it is old and European

Resident Emerson Fanboi

December 31, 2016 11:57PM
Another hint:

It's got a distinctive double radius shoulder that only gets regularly used by one maker.
January 01, 2017 01:27PM
It's a .30-378 Weatherby. Essentially it's the ultimate high-velocity .308 diameter round, you can't really put much more powder than this behind .308 bullets. It's the huge .378 Weatherby case necked down to .308 caliber. Where the .30-06 will launch 180 grain bullets at a maximum of around 2800 fps, the .30-.378 will launch 180's at 3400-3500 fps with no problems, and will launch them even faster with longer barrels of around 30" vs the factory barrels of 26".
January 01, 2017 02:06PM
I Googled it and found it was some type of Weatherby, and it looked like it was a .338, but that's as far as I got. .338 is kind of close to a .378 or a .308, right? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2017 02:09PM by jasonstone20.
January 01, 2017 02:23PM
Ha, yeah Jason you were pretty close with the .338. And yes, Weatherby is (I'm pretty sure) the only manufacturer that uses a double radius shoulder like that, I'm not sure why though. They also do make a .338 caliber version of this same cartridge, it's identical except it's necked up to .338. The .338 version makes the military's .338 Lapua look kinda lame.

.30-.378 Weatherby drawings:

[www.saami.org]

.378 Weatherby (parent case for the .30-.378) drawings:

[www.saami.org]
January 01, 2017 02:50PM
Ryan,
This is the website I found the information on, it talks about the history of magnum cartridges:
[www.chuckhawks.com]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
January 01, 2017 04:44PM
Nice, that website is pretty decent. Hawks does a good job of being mostly realistic and objective, it's a nice change of pace from the standard gun magazines or certain forums.
January 05, 2017 09:54PM
January 05, 2017 10:24PM
Ryan- that .30-378 is insane.

So for carry and use, the Talon rubber grip and the Brooks synthetic suede are both nice additions, and I have not had a strong preference for one over the other. The Brooks product is a bit easier on clothes and my skin during carry, the Talon offers a bit more grip. The Talon is much simpler to install.

But there is one area where the Talon pulls strongly ahead: durability with tight fitting kydex holsters. I've had Brooks Agrips that lasted for years using leather holster, but I often carry my G19 in a kydex rig from Foxtrot Concealment (great bang for the buck in a holster BTW.) The corner lip of the kydex would catch the edge of the Agrip an peel it back. Otherwise it was wearing well.

I thought about doing a complete mod of the grip, grinding off the finger grooves, double undercut the trigger guard and putting on a stipple job, but instead just went with the Talon grip. This is a product I endorse for polymer framed pistols, makes all the difference in grip security.