Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firearms and Shooting

Posted by Bugout Bill 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Firearms and Shooting
January 21, 2017 01:04AM
And what would the .223 be shooting from Mr. Chum?

Chum
Chum's gun factoid of the day!

500 Rounds of .22lr = ~4 lbs.
500 Rounds of .223 - ~14 lbs.

I am shocked the Army did not require a safety. I predicted FBI would go Sig P320, the Army would Go M&P. I am batting .00
January 21, 2017 01:25AM
Chum: compare weight of .223 to .308

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
January 21, 2017 01:26AM
chad234
And what would the .223 be shooting from Mr. Chum?

Chum
Chum's gun factoid of the day!

500 Rounds of .223 - ~14 lbs.

I am shocked the Army did not require a safety. I predicted FBI would go Sig P320, the Army would Go M&P. I am batting .00

I don't have a 5.56/.223, but what ever it is you want to shoot it with it is likely to be heavier than what you would shoot your .22lr with.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
January 21, 2017 01:27AM
Chum: Not necessarily

.223 (sub-55 gr) is a long range varmint rd.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 21, 2017 01:56AM
Yeah, seems like the MHS might be one of those things that looks good on paper... I can see some benefit to having flexibility on size and caliber, interchangeable parts, etc, but how much will people really use it?

That Taurus looks like it had a lot of thought put into it, might be a solid micro. I know a few people who might be interested in that.

-Nate
January 21, 2017 02:02AM
Has anyone owned an AR or other rifle that's chambered in 6mmx45? It's the .223 necked up to 6mm with no other changes. I always thought it would markedly improve the power of the .223 with a fairly minor loss in velocity. If you loaded it with something like Sierra's 75 grain hollow point it would be a real powerhouse compared to the .223 on pretty much everything you would shoot with that class of cartridge. Sort of an intermediate between .223 and .308, though it's obviously closer to the .223 in performance. It was also used for a number of years for target competitions with a lot of success.
January 21, 2017 02:42AM
Ryan: Dat 6.5 Grendel mannnn.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 21, 2017 12:00PM
Yep 6.5 Grendel seems a really good intermediate round. Serbia actually has adopted it as their official round, but economics preclude it here given the large sunken cost in 5.56.
January 22, 2017 04:24AM
chad234
Yep 6.5 Grendel seems a really good intermediate round. Serbia actually has adopted it as their official round, but economics preclude it here given the large sunken cost in 5.56.

Why not the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 6.5 Grendel? The 6.5 Creedmoor is sold everywhere now. I don't think that is the case with the Grendel.

I was reading about recent long range shooting competition trends. I think I would go with a 6mm cartridge. Less kick than a 6.5 and flatter ballistics. The .243 Winchester is well liked among the competition crowd.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 22, 2017 05:07AM
Well Chum, the 6.5 Creemoor wouldn't work out of an AR-15, it requires an AR-10 length action. And yeah, I would agree that 6mm is a decent choice of projectile. Sierra came out with a new 6mm bullet recently that is reeeally streamlined and long:

[www.sierrabullets.com]
January 22, 2017 05:32AM
Ryan Nafe
Well Chum, the 6.5 Creemoor wouldn't work out of an AR-15, it requires an AR-10 length action.

Ah, ok that makes sense.

Ryan Nafe
And yeah, I would agree that 6mm is a decent choice of projectile. Sierra came out with a new 6mm bullet recently that is reeeally streamlined and long:

[www.sierrabullets.com]

That does look like a sleek bullet.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 22, 2017 05:37AM
This video gives some interesting, basic, long-range, ballistic info.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 22, 2017 06:44AM
Bugout Bill
Chum: compare weight of .223 to .308

500 Rounds of .223 = ~14 lbs.
500 Rounds of .308 = ~26 lbs.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 22, 2017 08:56AM
1lb of C4 = ~1lb of C4

C4 the future of ammunition.
January 22, 2017 03:48PM
Old Spice
1lb of C4 = ~1lb of C4

C4 the future of ammunition.

Yer a goof. It would be fun to try deer hunting with C4 though, but I wouldn't want to do it on my land.
me2
January 23, 2017 03:14AM
Haven't convinced the wife to do the shotgun yet. Any tips on aftermarket sites for Marlin 60 (22) and 336 (30-30)?
January 23, 2017 03:23AM
Iron sights or an optic? If you're looking for iron sights on the 336 I'd probably go with a Skinner peep sight.
me2
January 23, 2017 04:15AM
Well, I have 2 Marlin 60's. I'd like to just replace the sights on it with something that is more adjustable, like aftermarket iron sights or something. The ones on it aren't windage adjustable, and it (or I) am off a fair bit. The other I'll probably get a 4x 22 scope or something. I've seen the military style replacement sights, but they're out of my price range, being half the price of a new gun.

On the Marlin 336, I'd like to put a scope on it, but it's basically the same reason. The iron sights are off. I had a gunsmith try to adjust them, but nothing good came of it. Windage off again, likely in the front site, from what the smith said.
January 23, 2017 04:52AM
Me2 get the windage nailed down and tack weld it

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 23, 2017 11:41PM
Me2: What year is the Marlin?

Resident Emerson Fanboi

me2
January 24, 2017 05:04AM
All three are 30 to 40 years old. One of the Marlins my dad won at a raffle about the time I was born, and I'm 41. The 336 was in my grand father's gun case as long as I can remember until I bought it. The other 60 was his and I got it from my mom when he died.
January 24, 2017 05:08AM
Me2: Ah. I was wondering if they were one of the new, post-Freedom Group manufacture ones, there were a lot of problems with those.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 25, 2017 07:59PM
On my 336, I have a Tasco 3-9 on high rise (C-thru) mounts and a brass bead front sight. I don't like this set up. I will probably switch it to either a 4x fix scope or if the .300 Blk reticle will approximate a 30-30 using Hornady Leverlution ammo I would go with a Primary Arms 3X Prism or 1-6X and replace the iron sight with a Williams Peep Sight for back up.

I gave my 60 to my brother with a 4X Simmons scope and that was a great combo. I have the same scope on one of my Marlin 25's, the other is shown here with a Bushnell 3-9Xscope. I think the Simmons scope works well and is a real bargain:
[www.midwayusa.com]

I think 4X really hits the sweet spot.
January 25, 2017 11:44PM
Chad: Gorgeous rifles.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 26, 2017 02:52AM
chad234
On my 336, I have a Tasco 3-9 on high rise (C-thru) mounts and a brass bead front sight. I don't like this set up. I will probably switch it to either a 4x fix scope or if the .300 Blk reticle will approximate a 30-30 using Hornady Leverlution ammo I would go with a Primary Arms 3X Prism or 1-6X and replace the iron sight with a Williams Peep Sight for back up.

Primary Arms just came out with a 1-8X btw.

How do you like the 30/30 cartridge?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 26, 2017 04:38AM
Chum and Chad:

[www.thefirearmblog.com]

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 27, 2017 02:00AM
Worked from 3:30 until noon today, elected to spend my afternoon off shooting. the finger smiley

I had decided that it would be a pistol day for me, as I had some 9mm knocking around that I wanted to burn up and I hadn't shot my Star BM yet. While at the range, I perused their rental counter and, being in a somewhat whimsical mood, I rented one of the more maligned firearms flops in recent history:

A very interesting pistol, it is a redesigned version of a John Pedersen designed handgun from the 1920s. I was really interested when they first came out, but Big R managed to completely bungle the guns to the point that they recalled most of them and had to redesign a lot of the fire control group before reintroducing it last year.

It is...interesting. A lot of good and bad in this gun.

Positives:

-Feels very nice in hand, very firm grip. Even as a compact, carry type gun, it felt really comfortable. Points very naturally, not quite CZ75 well, but you were close.

-Big, friendly, three dot sights. Easy to acquire and align, the big front sight post lends itself very well to combat type shooting.

Two mags at about 8 yards, combat type shooting:

First mag strung a little (my fault, haven't shot in a while and haven't shot this gun before), but the second was tight.

One mag at 25 yds, combat type shooting.

Negatives:

-Not steel framed.

-The polymer used doesn't feel like Glock or Smith & Wesson polymer. It feels like the material TV remotes are made out of. Some play with the mag base too.

-Rather snappy and heavy recoiling for a compact 9mm. Not quite Ruger LC9 bad, but not a Glock either.

-Very odd trigger. It was smooth with a defined, yet kind of mushy break. Very vague reset too. It wasn't bad like most bad triggers are, just really weird.

Shot the Star BM for the first time. Old guns rock.

Positives:

-Solid ergonomics, safety and slide lock easy to actuate.

-Good trigger (most single action triggers are). Half dollar sized groups at 7 yards without really trying.

-Runs well, ejects positively.

Issues (these happen with old guns)

-Mags are the weak point on this gun (as are M1911 type guns in general). Both factory and aftermarket mags are intolerant of sloppy loading (more so the repro-mags). The rounds must be seated completely or else the gun won't feed them. Original doesn't like to feed the 8th round in the mag. When the gun malf'ed, slide locked to the rear, no double feed or anything. If under stress, the mag could be changed and gun back into service quickly.

-I normally paint the front sight of guns for contrast, I didn't on the Star for some reason that escapes me. The gun shot about 2 inches left. I normally pull to the left, so I am hoping it was just me. as adjusting fire right corrected the issue. Really hoping the windage isn't off, as I absolutely hate zeroing guns.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 27, 2017 04:38AM
I'm sorry if I missed it, but what is that first gun Bill?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 27, 2017 05:04AM
Chum: The Remington R51.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 28, 2017 12:58AM
Chum:
The 30-30 is a classic for sure, but given the short action rifles available in the ballistic superior .308, it wouldn't be my first choice. But I like the handy, durable Marlin lever action and I've had this one for probably 15 years. Don't get me wrong, I think for realistic ranges (under 200 yards, and mostly under 100) here in MI, it is adequate and taken more deer and even black bear than any other cartridge. I think the Hornady Leverlution is bringing a new wave of shooting to this rifle and I will switch out the scope to something else this Spring.

Bill: Nice shooting. Too bad to hear the R51 fits with the decline of Remington. Really sad that one of the great American firearms companies has turned to producing unreliable, mass dribble. Sounds like the Star is a nice shooting piece though. How do you think it compares to the Glock 19 (my reference standard) or the Shield?

I had to take the day off work today to spend with a sick loved one, so I stopped at the range on the way home to decompress. Since it was impromptu, I mostly shot my carry G19 and the G19/23 that I keep secured for off body carry. (this is the G23 I converted from .40 to 9mm using Lone Wolf components). I am waiting for new Talon grips to come for the other one (I peeled the Agrip off both), so had two identical guns to shoot- so thinking of Chum's comments on his return to running bare polymer grips, I wanted to shoot them side by side.

16 rounds of 124gr +P Speer GDHP at 12 yards:

45 rounds at 10 yards:

In cool, dry range practice with no stress, there is no difference in control and the few hundred rounds I fired were effortless through both. I think the rubberized grips are a bit more comfortable. But the real advantage to the rubber grips is with sweaty hands in the heat of summer, the stress of competition or worst case a serious social situation.