Re: Firearms and Shooting
October 12, 2016 11:20PM
As a teenager I read the Deathlands series by Axler (Jerry Ahearn) which featured a character using that gun, someone time traveled to to the future from the antebellum era. Also featured were a sig with integral silencer and the HK G11 caseless. Amazing what sticks in my mind. . .
October 12, 2016 11:30PM
Chad: Jerry Ahearn was The Survivalist, Deathlands was Laurence James.

Keep your schlock 80s pulp novels straight. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
October 14, 2016 08:56PM
Stock:

As upgraded as I'm making it, aside from a new hopper (Probably an Empire "Halo Too"winking smiley:

Edit to add:

I may get a new regulator for it at some point as well. This would give me much more consistent velocities. Right now I'm getting an extreme spread of around 45 feet per second. That might not sound like a lot, but it's actually about an 18% change in velocity. A new regulator would scale the extreme spread down to about 10 feet per second, making it much easier to consistently put paint in the same place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2016 09:04PM by Ryan Nafe.
October 15, 2016 06:45PM
Some good videos on the effectiveness of .22s. The Meat Targets are excellent...

Kinda funny opening scene...

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
October 16, 2016 04:31PM
Does anyone here log the round counts on their guns?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 16, 2016 09:43PM
Bill, I don't count round-for-round, most of my guns are basically a mystery to me on that question. Did notice something that's very concerning today on my LCR which has around 700 rounds through it. Check out the hardcore gas cutting of the topstrap:

The odd thing to me is that I've ran perhaps 100 rounds of hot +P Buffalo Bore stuff through it, otherwise it's all been standard .38 target ammo. I did some research earlier today on the problem and Ruger has been giving people new guns when this happens. I'm gonna call them on Monday.
October 16, 2016 10:09PM
Ryan: Well damn. It will be interesting to hear what Ruger says about that.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 16, 2016 11:00PM
Yeah Bill, it's one of the most severe cases of gas cutting I've seen. Usually there's just a line or a little furrow in the metal but this is a cavity that's around 1/16" deep or more. I checked the barrel/cylinder gap and it doesn't appear to have moved at all, so I don't think the frame has stretched.
October 16, 2016 11:43PM
I forget, The LCRs aluminum or steel in the metal components?

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 17, 2016 12:23AM
The frame is aluminum, the grip frame is polymer, the the barrel and cylinder are stainless. Gas cutting or frame stretching will often occur on aluminum revolvers, but that's usually at much higher round counts or with much higher-pressure cartridges than .38 special. The barrel/cylinder gap is .007", which is a little big. That could play a role in this but I'm not sure if that's a significant factor, I'm just guessing. Outside of this obviously serious issue, the gun has been great. It's kinda funny that I didn't notice this until today, it almost certainly has been progressing for a while now. The other thing that comes to mind is that I often shoot 50-100 rounds through the gun in a pretty short time period, so it gets pretty hot sometimes. It'll be interesting to see how Ruger handles this, I've never dealt with a firearm company's customer service before.
October 17, 2016 03:22AM
Ruger is usually great to deal with. That is an impressive cut!
October 17, 2016 04:09AM
Ryan Nafe
The odd thing to me is that I've ran perhaps 100 rounds of hot +P Buffalo Bore stuff through it,

And that is likely the issue.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 17, 2016 04:13AM
Chum: Doubtful. Ruger rates them at .38 +P. Even then, and this is really speculating, I would doubt that the increased pressure caused by getting +P would really cause that serious of damage.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 17, 2016 04:17AM
Bugout Bill
Chum: Doubtful. Ruger rates them at .38 +P. Even then, and this is really speculating, I would doubt that the increased pressure caused by getting +P would really cause that serious of damage.

I just keep reading so many problems that people are having with the +p Buffalo Bore loads.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 17, 2016 04:26AM
Chum: I'd be interested in specifics regarding the LCR. I've read of problems with Buffalo Bore ammo being loaded way too hot, blowing primers, gas checks blowing off.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 17, 2016 04:43AM
Bugout Bill
Chum: I'd be interested in specifics regarding the LCR. I've read of problems with Buffalo Bore ammo being loaded way too hot, blowing primers, gas checks blowing off.

I don't have a specific on the LCR, but it sounds like you are reading the same kind of things I have on the Buffalo Bore.

I'm not a fan of using the extra hot loads. Too much pressure. These handguns have limits. I used to shoot these 300 grain +p.44 mags out of my Ruger Super Blackhawk. That gun is made for hunting rounds. I stopped. There is just so much force there that I felt it was a matter of time before the gun exploded. No evidence for this, just a gut feeling. The LCR is such a small, lightweight, gun. I just wouldn't risk it.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 17, 2016 04:59AM
Chum: I hear you. There is a point of diminishing returns. I keep a mag of 124 gr +p Speer Gold Dots for social purposes in my CZ75, the only reason I do that is a lot of agencies that issue 9mms issue that load and it seems to be a good performer. I need to get some of Underwood's 115 gr +P+ 9mm, just because that matches the infamous Illinois State Police load federal used to make.

Would I feed my guns a heavy diet of this? No. But they are built ruggedly enough to handle it and have long enough barrels to actually provide that extra velocity. From small guns, however, it becomes really debatable.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 17, 2016 06:32AM

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2016 06:53AM by Any Cal..
October 17, 2016 05:15PM
50 rounds of this, and note that they rate it as usable in any .38 special:

[www.buffalobore.com]

45 rounds of this, which is standard pressure:

[www.buffalobore.com]

I don't see how 50 rounds could possibly do that to the gun, but I don't know. It has also been around a year or so since I fired any of that +P stuff.
October 17, 2016 11:06PM
I have read Ruger .357s having this issue to in some cases. Maybe something to do with cast frames?

Also, if you want to shoot high volume hot ammo, all the more reason why a semi-automatic is superior. winking smiley

Resident Emerson Fanboi

me2
October 18, 2016 04:16PM
Not to switch current, but can anyone give me any information on shotguns? Just general stuff, brands, action type, etc? I've never been into them before and know just the most basic information. Good brands, pump, breakdown, auto, etc.
October 18, 2016 05:01PM
Me2: Big question. I'll try and write something up this evening.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 19, 2016 02:03AM
Me2, what would you primarily be using it for? A gun used for something like trap shooting, for example, would be much different than a gun used for deer hunting.
October 19, 2016 02:41AM
This video should tell you everything you need to know about shotguns, and which shotgun to get...

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 19, 2016 02:57AM
I second what Ryan said. It is a very broad question.

My $.02

Action Types

-Break Action

Found on double or single barrel shotguns normally used for fowl or trap shooting. Breaking open the action typically ejects the spent shells, new shells then inserted and action closed. The gun is then cocked and the safety may or may not engage.

-Pump Action

Cycling the action ejects the spent shell and lifts a new one from the magazine, typically a tube under the barrel. Extremely common type of shotgun action, used for everything from trap shooting to hunting to fighting. There are advantages and disadvantages. They allow a decent capacity and rapid fire capability, but are vulnerable to operator induced malfunctions.

-Semi-Automatic

Semi-auto shotguns have been around for awhile now, again used for hunting, trap, and fighting. You have two essential types: gas operated and inertial operated. Benelli and Turkish knockoffs use inertial actions, generally highly reliable but have harsher recoil than gas guns. Gas guns (Remington 11-87, Mossberg 935) use propellant gas to drive a piston that works the action. Gas guns have lower recoil than inertial guns and generally run a variety of ammo well, but need to be cleaned regularly.

Beyond that, what you want to do with it will make a huge difference.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

me2
October 19, 2016 03:40PM
The purpose would be mainly my desire to have a shotgun. Practically, it would be something like a shorter barreled pump for home use. I don't hunt anymore, though when I did it was with a bow or .410 single barrel shotgun. I was not terribly successful, as you might guess, but it was fun. I was looking at a couple 18.5" barrel pump models available at the local Cabela's. How is reliability with a pump vs. an auto? I've heard people say both were unreliable to various degrees, depends on who you ask.

How about gauge? 12 seems standard. I was used to my brother using 2.75" 12 gauge shells when we hunted, but I see 3" too. How about slugs vs. shot? Obviously hunting would depend on the type of prey, shot for birds, slugs or heavy shot for larger/slower critters.
October 19, 2016 04:58PM
Go with 12 due to ammo commonality. Pump vs auto? I'd say an auto in terms of reliability, there is less to mess up, but both have their quirks.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

October 19, 2016 06:01PM
I like the double barrel shotguns just for the simplicity and the fact that you can get your second shot off very quickly. It would take a lot of practice to reload them quickly but I have watched people who can do so very fast.

I am not a big fan of pump action shotguns, as Bill says autos have less to mess up, same with with double barreled shotguns. If I were to get a pump action shotgun now, it would be the Mossburg .410 home defender. Very light weight, the .410 is easy to manage and the pistol grip on the front makes it easy to pump in a new round.

Chiappa makes a triple barrel shotgun with is just off the charts cool imo. They are spendy however.

I'm a fan of Mossburg shotguns, but I don't have a lot of experience with other brands. My dad had a Mossburg pump 12 gauge that lasted through many years and rounds.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 19, 2016 08:48PM
I should also add: malfunctions in a tube fed gun are a b*** if it is more than a stovepipe, and gravity works against you. I should also add, that if you aren't going to use it as a fowl gun, put rifle or ghost rings on it. They make shotguns useful.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 08:50PM by Bugout Bill.
me2
October 19, 2016 09:08PM
I am not familiar with ghost rings. By rifle do you mean rifle sights?