Re: Firearms and Shooting
January 06, 2017 12:42AM
Nicely done Chad.

I took the Agrips off of my G42. It started to puff out in places and the edges were always curling up if they were touched on a regular basis while shooting.

It is funny, after I took the Agrip off of the Glock 42... I wasn't sure that I didn't like the plain grip better. The mind is always messing with you.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
January 06, 2017 10:31AM
Chum
I took the Agrips off of my G42. It started to puff out in places and the edges were always curling up if they were touched on a regular basis while shooting.

This sounds like the same basic issue that Cliff noted about taped handles on choppers.
January 06, 2017 09:02PM
Ryan Nafe
Chum

This sounds like the same basic issue that Cliff noted about taped handles on choppers.

I've never had the puff up problem with taped handles on choppers, but the edges can roll. It isn't that much of a problem on a chopper however as it just adds a little extra grip. My experience.

Regardless, I think I may have tricked myself into thinking the Agrip gave me some kind of advantage.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 06, 2017 09:33PM
In the summer with sweaty hands, I have no doubt the Agrip added grip security over bare polymer, as well as comfort. I think it is a good product. Have you shot stippled grips?
January 07, 2017 07:56AM
chad234
Have you shot stippled grips?

You mean the home made type...

No, I haven't. I'm not having any issues shooting the G42 with the stock handle. I like it. When I purchased the G42 I had it in my head that I was going to customize it a bit. I had it in my head that I would want extra grips on the G42. The Agrips feel good, but so do the stock grips.

Interesting comparison by Sootch on the brand new CZ P10 vs. the Walther PPQ...

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 07, 2017 03:12PM
Enough of this polymer nonsense!

I done bought one of these, should be able to take possession of it Monday:

Star BM.

The finest compact 9mm you have never heard of. I handled one of these a couple years ago at a lovely hole in the wall gunshop near my parents place when I bought my AR15 lower, absolutely fell in love with it. A buddy of mine was visiting New Years Eve and reminded me of the place, on a whim I looked up the gun on the internet and found one for $240. Snagged it.

Now begins the joy of owning a 30 some year old pistol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
January 07, 2017 05:36PM
Congats BB!

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Mine is a little rough around the edges, but has about the sweetest SA trigger I've ever shot. The Star BM was my first 9mm. I've thought about selling it many times as my collection has evolved and I've picked up some more modern 9's, but then I pick it up again and just can't part with it...

-Nate
January 07, 2017 05:56PM
I managed to score a P220 with the more standard SA/DA action after I missed out on the DAK trade-ins at Aim. Really happy with it so far overall. One issue is that while the stock grips were ok, they were a bit large for my hands and not quite as comfortable as my 5906, even though the dimensions looked almost identical side by side.

After some research, I found out there are a lot of factory and aftermarket grips that are slimmer. Jumped on a great deal on some of the g-10 Piranha grips. These are the green g-mascus. I probably would have gone with a different color from Sig or Hogue, but I got these at a deep discount and actually don't mind the color at all for a HD/Range gun. The new grips feel excellent in hand, big improvement over the stock grips for me, even though the absolute size difference is subtle. Only minor complaint is that the texturing on the backstrap is a bit too aggressive, but that is a simple fix.

When I picked up a boresnake and snap-caps for it, I couldn't help throwing the tekmat in the cart as well. smiling smiley

-Nate
January 07, 2017 06:50PM
Bill- that Star is seeet, they got used in lots of movies as .45's since the blanks were 9mm I hear.

Nate- was the deal on this grips on the interwebbir kocal? If online can you please send me a link?
January 07, 2017 07:14PM
Nate- that P220 looks like it is in great condition. Not a LEO trade, right?
January 07, 2017 07:25PM
Chad, sent you a PM.

I'm happy to share the link if anyone else is interested, but thought PMs may be best since I have no idea how many he has left.

I'm not sure if mine is a LEO trade-in or not, but it was bought by the previous owner as certified pre-owned from Sig. I was a little shocked the guy wasn't asking more when I saw how good the condition was. The case had it graded as "excellent" and it doesn't look like much wear was put on it since, if any.

-Nate
January 07, 2017 11:36PM
Man, everyone is buying cool guns. That Star is freaking sweet... Bill & Nate. Love the grips on the Sig Nate.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 07, 2017 11:49PM
Nate, that is a great deal, thanks! Look forward to your thoughts on how it shoots.

I received a gift card to my LGS for Christmas. I used part of it on a Millet M-Force red dot for my x39 AR. It is a 5 MOA, very bright dot with surprisingly clear glass, fast acquisition and wide field of view. It HS no magnification. Dry firing, no issues with both eyes open and on target. Mounting it was picatiny simple. I'll sight it at 100 yards likely.
As a downside, it used lithium CR batteries, compared to the primary arms AAA.

As for the remaining balance, I've been thinking of replacing my LCP with another pocket carry gun. I borrowed a S&W Bodyguard with built in laser from my father for a few weeks. Given that I frequently carry the M&P Shield and train (and sometimes carrry) the full size M&P 9, that the Bodyguard would fit well in the line up. I was hoping for something approaching the Glock 42 shootability in a more compact and light package. The sights are not terrible stock, but are dovetailed and can be replaced with XS or Hd sights.

At 16.5 ounces in a Foxtot holster, loaded with 6+1 rounds of 90gr GDHP, it disappears on my belt. But approaches the outside boundary of size and weight for pocket carry.

Compared to the LCP, also loaded and in FTC holster:

The 2.5 ounces may not seem much at all, and in jeans or heavy pants it is not. In lighter wool dress pants, it is noticeable.

Size comparison to the diminutive Beretta 950:

It had a good form factor, but low shootabilty due to an atrocious trigger. This is actually not a striker fired gun but a DoA internal hammer. The trigger is longer and heavier than any gun I have shot. On such a small frame, that is simply not a good combination. Also, activating the laser from a draw in a hurry is a fumble recipe in the making. If they made a striker fire version, I would buy it, but not this.
January 08, 2017 04:43AM
chad234
It HS no magnification.

I know a lot less about rifles and optics than I'd like. What is the purpose of a non-magnified red dot on a rifle that is capable of hitting out past 500 yards? I get red dots for hand guns and for short range carbines, but they never made sense to me for rifles.

This kind of scope seems ideal if you like red dots and you want to mount an optic on a rifle. The reticle is illuminated and the magnification is 1-6X. If you don't want any magnification this does the trick. If you do want magnification this does the trick.

chad234
I was hoping for something approaching the Glock 42 shootability in a more compact and light package.

I'm going to laud the Glock 42 again. The reason I, personally, like it so much is that I have never come across such a small gun that is so nice to shoot... barring .22s. The Glock 42 is a little oversized for pocket carry, but carry it any other way and it takes up so little space, and weighs so little. It is as close to an ideal carry gun that I have found. Small and light but shoots like a full sized gun, or close to it.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 08, 2017 05:04AM
Chum: Red dots are fast acquisition without having to worry about sight alignment. provided it is zeroed, the bullets go where the dot is.

The only issue with a variable optic is smaller field of view, eye relief, and weight. You are never going to get a 1-6 variable to behave like a red dot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2017 05:06AM by Bugout Bill.
January 08, 2017 06:03AM
Chum
This kind of scope seems ideal if you like red dots and you want to mount an optic on a rifle. The reticle is illuminated and the magnification is 1-6X. If you don't want any magnification this does the trick. If you do want magnification this does the trick.

I didn't check my post before I actually posted it. Here is the scope I was referring to...

Bugout Bill
Chum: Red dots are fast acquisition without having to worry about sight alignment. provided it is zeroed, the bullets go where the dot is.

The only issue with a variable optic is smaller field of view, eye relief, and weight. You are never going to get a 1-6 variable to behave like a red dot.

Bill, what would a red dot give you that a 1x scope with an illuminated reticle would not?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 08, 2017 02:23PM
Chum: With a red dot, you do not have to worry about having a correct cheek weld or be at the correct eye relief for the optic to work.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 09, 2017 01:37AM
Chum- you make a compelling case for the G42, I wish it was just a tad smaller and lighter for pocket carry. But then it would lose its excellent shooting character.

The red dot is nice because I can use it across platforms. Those 1-6x24 are hugely popular with 3 gun, and I'll probably put one on my 5.56 AR.
January 09, 2017 02:42AM
I'm telling you guys, you really should look into a Leupold Ultralight 2.5x20mm. It's basically perfect for an AR.

Edit to add:

I know it's not "tactical", it doesn't have an illuminated reticle, and it doesn't have a super-cool 30mm tube. But it's got excellent optical quality, plenty of magnification for combat use, a very wide field of view, more eye relief than almost any scope on the market, and it's also one of the lightest scopes available. It's ideal. And it's not very expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 03:03AM by Ryan Nafe.
January 09, 2017 02:51AM
This gentleman (Berz on YT) has an interesting set up on his G19.

[youtu.be]
The second undercut on the trigger guard is really deep. Seems like that would weaken the trigger guard more than I'd be comfortable with, and his stipple job is a bit over the top, but if it works for him... He has some good gear reviews and a good AR build series of videos....

I like the Hienie sights he is using, I have similiar sights (mine are the slant pros, his are the ledge) on a G17 I recently picked up as a bit of a project gun. It is a Gen 3, but practically NIB. I detail stripped and removed the factory grease. I polished the internals, added a Vickers Tactical extended slide release, and Lone Wolf stainless guiderod, spring and 3.5# connector. For just a few cents in polishing compound and bit of time, I think polishing the internals makes a noticeable difference. And detail stripping the Glock into its 30 individual component parts with only a simple punch makes you appreciate how simple and efficient the design is.

The trigger guard is undercut and finger grooves removed. I plan on stippling next weekend with a pattern similiar to that on my M&P front and backstrap

Both it and my Shield easily fit in my center console, I found out this weekend. Was carrying both and had to lock them in the car to meet with someone at a private hospital.

As far as holsters, the G17 works fine in my crossbreed IWB and Galco Miami Classic G19 holsters and I ordered a Bravo Concealment OWB lightbearing holster for the TLR-1 for training.
January 09, 2017 03:10AM
That is a nice summary Ryan. How well does the 20mm tube with no larger objective lens gather light? Sounds perfect for a .44 magnum carbine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 03:11AM by chad234.
January 09, 2017 03:15AM
Well I'm not the most well-educated person on optics, but the exit pupil will be large enough to transmit more light than your eye can even gather. Just because the magnification is low, it should have an exit pupil of about 8mm, larger than most people's eyes can dilate to.
January 09, 2017 04:09AM
Ryan Nafe
I'm telling you guys, you really should look into a Leupold Ultralight 2.5x20mm. It's basically perfect for an AR.

Edit to add:

I know it's not "tactical", it doesn't have an illuminated reticle, and it doesn't have a super-cool 30mm tube. But it's got excellent optical quality, plenty of magnification for combat use, a very wide field of view, more eye relief than almost any scope on the market, and it's also one of the lightest scopes available. It's ideal. And it's not very expensive.

Sounds really nice. I'm going to check it out.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 09, 2017 06:49PM
Awesome!!!!

Chumgeyser on Youtube
January 10, 2017 01:45AM
Bill- did ya pick up the Star today?
January 10, 2017 02:56AM
Chad: Indeed I did.

1981 Spanish National Police issue.

I gave it a good cleaning, but this will probably need some refinishing at some point. That being said, it seems to be in good mechanical condition. I've been fiddling around with snap caps, it seems to feed them fine and eject them well, so we shall see. I got two extra mags on the way, as well as two recoil springs.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 10, 2017 09:33PM
Sweet gun, Bill.

Nate, I think that color is actually pretty nice. And by the way, bore snakes are the best way to clean barrels. It's both easy and does an excellent job.
January 11, 2017 01:08AM
Thanks, agree on the bore snake. I had always used the old brush and patches, but I went shooting with my buddy recently and he pulled out a snake to clean his S&W66 (super sweet revolver, btw) and I immediately wanted to make the switch.

Look forward to hearing how you like the Star, Bill.

Good call on the extra springs, I should look into some more spare parts for mine since I keep holding onto it. One other thing I picked up immediately was a spare firing pin. Read reports of the tips breaking off. I think the issue is mostly or entirely related to dry firing though. I always use snap-caps anyway, but it may an extra good idea on the BM.

-Nate
January 11, 2017 03:48AM
Ryan: I like boresnakes, they are good when you just want to quickly clean the gun and the bore isn't absolutely filthy. That being said, I still carry a cleaning rod in my range gear, as I have been in a situation where I needed one and didn't have it.

Nate: Thanks, I can't wait to get some trigger time with it. I got two back up firing pins on the way, hopefully it will run without any problems.

Such is the problem with buying old guns, you don't know their condition and can be SOL if things go wrong. Also, refinishing it will be annoying. It will probably cost more than the gun did.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 11, 2017 04:14AM
I hear ya. My Star will probably remain a beater, but I always thought they looked great in nickel.

-Nate