Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Captains of Crush (hand strength)

Posted by KWB 
KWB
Captains of Crush (hand strength)
December 14, 2015 12:06AM
I have been using coc grippers for sometime now and I can see a increase in my grip strength. I am about half inch away from closing the no. 3. It nothing compared to others such as this [youtu.be]. But it is nice to have an improvement in functional strength none the less.

I would like to start nail bending as this really helps with your wrist strength.[youtu.be]. It may not look like much but that is equivalent to a 60 penny nail.

Something I find about old time strong man stuff incredibly fascinating. Not to mention useful as well. Always make for party tricks too.

Contact 570-486-9095
Re: Captains of Crush (hand strength)
December 14, 2015 02:40AM
Get a soup can, now squeeze it. Then squeeze it again. Keep doing this til it leaks. Used to do this till I could pop a brand new can on the first squeeze. Eagle catchers are also nice, but don't get the cheap ones. They fail and break easily....and hurt your fingers.
KWB
December 14, 2015 11:21AM
Never tried that before ill give it a go.

Contact 570-486-9095
December 14, 2015 11:51AM
Oh the leaks will be unexpected. Pick cans you will eat the contents of at the drop of a hat. Because sugar beets are kinda hard to eat 2 days in a row.....
December 14, 2015 03:51PM
I have very weak hands, palms - my grip strength is very poor - recommend me how (with what) to start practicing to improve it...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
December 14, 2015 04:50PM
I have a sport model COC that I keep at my desk and use while on frustrating phone calls for stress relief. There have been several studies correlating grip strength with vascular health, decreased risk of heart attack and stroke. It would be interesting to look at it from a biomarker vs. causal relationship perspective....
December 14, 2015 06:46PM
Stefan, in many ways it depends on what kind of strength you want to improve. Closing the grippers that Kyle is talking about is a dynamic movement and so does not necessarily translate well over to simply holding things, like a bar.

And then pinching things is a whole other world (imagine picking up a weight disc with thumb on one side and fingers on the other).

Having said all that, just hanging from a bar is a good place to start, or if you go to a gym walking with the dumbbells in your hand for either distnace or time.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
KWB
December 14, 2015 06:57PM
You basically have three grip strengths open hand, pinch, and crushing, then wrist strength. Ironmind has quite a bit of info on grip strength.

Many will not be able to close the #1 on the first try. It takes about a week to gain the right technique. They are all pretty easy up to the #3 that is when it gets really hard.

C_amber is referring to open hand static strength which is prolly one of the more important ones.

Contact 570-486-9095
December 14, 2015 07:01PM
C Amber
Stefan, in many ways it depends on what kind of strength you want to improve.

Just improving my grip in general - holding firmly and securely hand tools for longer time, carrying heavier stuff - I have some remodeling to do in my new apartment in near future - but unfortunately my job now is primarily on a computer and I feel that my grip is less secure than the good old times I had time to go to the gym and work with the weights or had the time to help my father with some general construction work

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
December 14, 2015 07:21PM
SW-
That is why I like the soup can method. Cheap, can carry it everywhere, and do it any time you have a free hand. Though try not to use the same can out in public because messes are the big down side to it.

My work has me lifting full cooking pots around 10 pounds with one hand. Then 5 gallon buckets of water. I now hold and pour these out one handed to clean the floors at my work. Didn't start that way, I just kept working on it till I could do it.

Basically find some way to work in the workout at work.

I used to sit in classes doing rep after rep with hand exercisers. I kept weights and such in my car, and fit in workouts where and when I could. Gyms often are a waste of money and time. Money that could be spent on your own training equipment, and time going to and from the gym.

Then again I tended to take things to extremes. I did iron leg training to the point that I couldn't find heavy enough weights. They literally do not make them. I had to start making my own gear.
December 14, 2015 07:21PM
Then yeah, just hanging from a bar for time would help. You can also put a bath towel in a bucket filled with water and then wring out the bath towel. The key is to mark the level of the water before putting the towel in and then see how close you can get to it from wringing the towel out.

Also, some sledgehammer levering could be helpful if you are just working at home.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
Eee
December 24, 2015 03:40PM
I lost a lot of grip strength in one hand after a motorbike accident. When I was first doing physio my knuckles kept swelling up. The hospital referred me to occupational health guy who had me working in a workshop bending steel brackets on a former. I found it far easier to develop strength (and fine motor skills) by doing physical tasks where I was focused on the task rather than repetitious exercise. Since then, rock climbing has had the single biggest improvement on my grip strength.
January 01, 2016 06:19AM
Just got some grippers in 100, 150 and 200 pound ratings. I could close the 150 once, but it was a challenge. So I have been working with the 100. Hopefully in a week I will be moving to the 150 for working out with, and able to close the 200 one. This is only day three of having them, so considering my usual over doing it I will be working out with the 200 in a month. Then I will get a CoC #1, just to see how it compares to my set.
KWB
January 01, 2016 09:16AM
Terri- not sure which ones you got but heavy grips are easy to close unless you get above 250 just too slick. Cant wait to hear your progression.

Contact 570-486-9095
January 01, 2016 05:40PM
They are the Heavy Grips. Thus far I can do touching the handles together from fully open on the 100 and 150, but only once or twice on the 150. The 200 I can't close fully, there is 3/4" between them when I try. I am following the CoC certification style set on working out with them. I am going to try partials and negatives, although I do holds on my usual workout anyways.
KWB
January 01, 2016 07:42PM
the 200 heavy grip is like coc 1.

Contact 570-486-9095
KWB
January 12, 2016 06:21AM
well guys I have supplemented my grippers with other exercises for grip such as a pinch grip hub for pinch grip. Rolling thunder for open hand strength as well as 2 pound boading balls for dexterity and extensor bands for muscle balance. I notice a difference it seems to make me much more well rounded.

I will say though you could make this workout "gear" for a lot less than ironmind charges for it. Pretty simple stuff. The dexterity boading balls are just cut off 2inch hitch balls. Only thing you really cant make are the extensor bands and rolling thunder.

Special note for anyone wanting to get into grippers, get extensor bands a muscle imbalance is asking for problems. I used to be tough and didnt think I needed it a few years back and I paid for it with 2 months of pain every time I closed my hand. Just like I wear safety glasses, apron, mask, and ear plugs making knives to be safe the quickest way to slow you down is getting hurt think of it as a ppe for you hands.

Contact 570-486-9095
January 12, 2016 06:44AM
Where was your pain when you figured this out?
KWB
January 12, 2016 07:22PM
almost in my elbow kind of radiated all the way down my arm and felt like someone was stabbing my arm when I gripped or picked up anything. really hard to say there are so many different muscles in the forearm.

Contact 570-486-9095
January 12, 2016 11:41PM
Had to take a break from last Wednesday to today for health reasons. Needless to say barely able to move let alone work. I now am doing warm up sets with the 100HG. Then doing 5 rep sets of 30 with the 150HG, I also do slow open and closing on these. Follow that up with single reps of the 200HG doing partials til to tired to do any more. Finish with kungfu wrist, hand, and arm stretches/training.
KWB
January 13, 2016 07:30PM
For strength training you want low volume, less is more. 1-3 reps 5 sets. Myofibrillar hypertrophy vs sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. For the warm ups and lighter work no point doing low reps might as well shoot for endurance on the light grippers 20+ reps per set. Their is something to be said for fatiguing your muscles for endurance but higher volume creates sacroplasmic hypertrohpy something to keep in mind. If you want to know more just google myofibrillar hypertrophy The muscles you are working are very very small and is easy to over train them. Again you dont want any strained muscles in your arm it sucks.

Contact 570-486-9095

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 07:33PM by KWB.
January 13, 2016 09:11PM
Muscle building and strengthening isn't the issue for me. My joints just can't take it like they used to. I'm mostly following kung fu style muscle training, it is a mix of strength and endurance.
I have arthritis, and frankly it keeps getting worse. I spent Wednesday to Friday stuck in bed unable to move.
Frankly my muscles haven't had any issues with the training at all.
KWB
January 14, 2016 05:04AM
thats a bummer, only thing I know of for that is range of motion exercises.

Contact 570-486-9095
February 10, 2016 05:27PM
So far I am getting stronger, but the 150 and 200 are still painful.
I am pretty much stuck just doing reps right now with the 100. Just today I have done around 150 reps with the 100, can barely do more then 20 reps with the 150, and the 200 I can not close fully yet. I have gotten closer to closing the 200, but it is getting easier each week.
KWB
February 10, 2016 07:51PM
Less is more, for strength you want low reps and sets and high weight 80-90 percent of your 1rm. The way you are going about it currently is training muscle endurance. If you want strength google myofibrillar hypertrohpy.

Terri- I can tell you are quite intense as I am with things however I urge you to stretch before and after and only grip 3 times a week. It might sound like preaching I thought it was all bs too until I hurt my hand gripping. Muscles get strong fast legiments and tendons typically dont increase proportional to the muscle. I have also found when you get to the heavy grippers 3 and up you have to be even more careful. Just treat the grippers as you would any bench,squat or deadlift and you should be fine.

Contact 570-486-9095

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 07:56PM by KWB.
February 10, 2016 09:09PM
My current system is one day off two days off. Day on is Heavy Grip 100 with 5 reps on the right hand, 10 on the left, most of the day. Then at the end of the day I do Heavy Grip 150, 5 reps right and left for a total of 20. Then I do a set of partials with the Heavy Grips 200 usually only 5 reps total. This is with kung fu stretches in between start and switching to higher gripper and at the end of the day.

I currently am on a on day and doing the Heavy Grip 150 set. It takes a few minutes to complete. Then I will do the Heavy Grip 200 partials.
February 11, 2016 06:04AM
I missed what it is you guys are squeezing?

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
KWB
February 11, 2016 07:10PM
[youtu.be] this is the number 4 and believe you me this thing is truly insane. I am 1/4 inch away from closing the 3. The 4 I can move about 1.5in.

Contact 570-486-9095
February 11, 2016 09:44PM
Im actually using the brand Heavy Grips http://www.heavygrips.com/
KWB
February 12, 2016 07:10PM
Basically the same less aggressive knurling and a little bit lighter weight than the coc. I can send you one to try if you like the are very different than heavy grippers.

Contact 570-486-9095
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login