Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

flashlights?

Posted by KWB 
Re: flashlights?
January 28, 2017 05:21PM
I have had varied success with flashlights made for a single AAA battery, I used to carry an Arc. It was ok, but not very bright. I carried a ThruNite Titanium for a while. I never liked its twist method of operation. It was gritty from the beginning. It quit working after less than 6 months edc. I currently carry a Fenix LD02 which has clicky tail switch. It has been switched on in my pocket multiple times. The last time, it ran down the battery. I'm still looking. I haven't fount "it" yet.
KWB
January 30, 2017 08:11PM
I carry a peak eiger everyday stainless with ultra head. Twist is not my favorite ui but it works everytime I also have momentary switch on the back. Its 500 lumens and very bice little light.

Contact 570-486-9095
January 31, 2017 01:49PM
Just got for Xmas/Yule a Fenix LD50 1800 lumen. Sucker is bright but a bit big for DEC
March 08, 2017 09:30AM
I'm a little late to the party for this one, but I do love me my lights. tongue sticking out smiley

Sorry for the shameless whoring. Also RIP anyone with a small monitor. Apparently the BBC code typically used to make images non-insane sizes is no es bueno here? IDFK.

*edit*
Links to make life easier:
[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 09:33AM by Hunterseeker5.
May 09, 2017 06:32PM
Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics provides a nice overview of the TLR1HL, which is my preferred WML.
[youtu.be]

Though Mike's review of the green laser added version makes me want one.

[youtu.be]
May 10, 2017 03:27PM
chad234
Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics provides a nice overview of the TLR1HL, which is my preferred WML.
[youtu.be]

Though Mike's review of the green laser added version makes me want one.

[youtu.be]

I have the TLR-2 HL G. It is having an issue. I have been slacking and I haven't contacted the company on it yet. Basically the laser has begun to fade out after a few seconds if you also have the light on at the same time. Laser by itself... no issues. Light by itself... no issues. Laser/Light together... Laser fades out.

For all I know it is a battery issue. Haven't checked yet.

The light is incredible. The laser is incredible. While the laser/light combo was working it gives you a big advantage in low or no light areas. My backyard, for instance, is fairly dark. Nothing/nobody can conceal themselves if you have this light mounted to your gun.

I believe that a laser gives you some advantages over iron sights, nights sights and red dots. I still need to play around with red dots, more than I have, but I think my standard for handguns will be a good set of day/night iron sights in combination with a good laser/light.

The Streamlight TLR-6 (laser/light) for the Glock 42 is a perfect combo.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
July 03, 2017 10:53AM
I picked this up a few weeks ago, a Coast G5:

It was about $5-6 USD at my local hardware store. I it just under twice the length of my Streamlight Nanolight, about as bright, but the Coast has a tailcap switch vs the Nano's twist switch.

---------------------------------------------------------
Stone Sharp Edges
[www.youtube.com] [www.facebook.com] [www.instagram.com]
January 22, 2018 07:59PM
My EDC admin lights remain the Streamlight stylus protac and Tiny Thrunite T3 on my keychain.

For more serious situations, which I hope to never face, I ordered a new EDC tactical light, this one and for the reasons set forth by Mr. Lovell-
[youtu.be]

Also ordered a HLX as recommended by mr. Cowan-
[youtu.be]
January 23, 2018 08:03AM
I find it interesting that the flashlight market doesn't seem to have much support for single-output "tactical" lights. I might pick up something in the surefire line down the road.
January 23, 2018 01:34PM
Agree- I setting- high.

If you need a low level light, carry a smaller one too....
January 30, 2018 12:00PM
I posted the wrong picture. Here is the Coast G5:

[imgur.com]

---------------------------------------------------------
Stone Sharp Edges
[www.youtube.com] [www.facebook.com] [www.instagram.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2018 12:09PM by jasonstone20.
KWB
January 31, 2018 06:25AM
I have wanted one of these lights for over quite awhile [www.oveready.com] after savings for the wasp v5 they came out with the above. I kept saving then they came out with a neutral tint and I bought it. Awesome light.

As you can see it is pricey, with that in mind I saved for it a couple dollars a week to see if I could justify the money after all the time spent saving for it.

Contact 570-486-9095
January 31, 2018 08:38AM
I have been watching Massdrop for a while now, probably about a year, and I decided to go for one of their AAA flashlights, copper version:

[www.massdrop.com]

They're made by Lumintop, I went with the CREE version because it was brighter. Have any of you guys tried the previous brass one they made? I have not yet considered carrying a flashlight but it does seem like a useful tool. It'll be interesting to see how much I actually carry and use it.
January 31, 2018 08:42AM
KWB- cool light, but too spendy for me!

Ryan- I’ve seen them on massdrop but never ordered one. I’ve carried streamlights on duty and they held up well. As a civilian now, they are easily durable, bright enough and a great price point.

I did find a holster maker for my 3 OLight mini equipped pistols though....
January 31, 2018 10:28AM
chad234
I did find a holster maker for my 3 OLight mini equipped pistols though....

Who dat?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
February 01, 2018 06:26AM
February 11, 2018 11:19AM
Here it is:

February 14, 2018 01:32AM
Nice light.
Pairs perfectly with that Al Mar Eagle. The moonlight mode looks like a dribble of light, but that maybe a video bs eye issue...
February 14, 2018 07:18AM
Yeah Chad the moonlight or low mode is something like one or two lumens. It's very weak. But it's actually pretty nice for stuff like just walking around the house or a shed or outside at night, it's bright enough to make it safe and easy to get around, without using a lot of battery or making your eyes have to readjust
June 19, 2018 06:46AM
I recently slowed down on blades a bit and got into flashlights. Naturally, I went overboard. the finger smiley

After being somewhat active on Budgetlightforum for a few weeks, a couple of manufacturers contacted me about testing a few different lights. Officially they only asked for feedback, but reviews were welcomed with no strings attached. This is a mini-rewiew I did for one of them that I thought I'd report here because I genuinely like the light:

ThorFire recently sent me a TK01 for 90% off to evaluate and I was pleasantly surprised. (They didn't require a public review, just asked for feedback, but I still wanted to disclose.)

The highlight for me is the emitter. It's a wonderful high-CRI neutral white, with imo, a perfect tint.

A quick summary after a couple of weeks with it:

-Pros
Lightweight
Excellent emitter
Great output level for a single-mode keychain edc light
Captive head
Inexpensize

-Potential Opportunities (some subjective/personal preference)
May be difficult to lube threads if/when needed since there isn't an obvious way to remove the head
Long thread travel between on and off (~full rotation)
More color options would be nice
A little slick (e.g., I really like the knurling on the Ti 2)
No clip (a Fenix clip might fit but I haven't checked it yet. Unlike the others I did put the TK01 on my keys and plan to keep it there.)

Couple of pics:

(left to right: Reylight Mini, Thrunite Ti2, Thorfire TK01, BLF-348, Lumintop Tool Cu, Fenix LD01)

-The manufacturer also just sent me a few single-use 40% off coupons for use on the TK01 through Amazon (US, hopefully it's ok to share them with members here). Shoot me a PM if interested.

-If anyone here is interested in 186560 powered Li-ion lights, I also picked up a bunch of those and plan to do some kind of round-up/summary of what I like and don't like about them in the future.

-Nate
June 19, 2018 09:01AM
I'd be interested in the 18650 comparisons! Thanks for this one too.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
June 19, 2018 06:02PM
Nate
Naturally, I went overboard...

I know that feeling well.

Have you tried the very inexpensive Coast light- I keep a few handy.

[www.amazon.com]
June 19, 2018 07:39PM
I've heard of the Coast zoomies Chad, but haven't tried one yet. Probably need at least one light with an adjustable focus, the Wowtac A3 is another one that seems to come up a lot as a good budget option in that area.

Hey Collin, here's a bit about some of the 18650 lights I've been checking out. It's in no way comprehensive, but they all seem like decent lights so far: (links are either to the product page or to the AKB review when applicable)

Convoy S2+: I got the "XPL HI U6-4C 4200-4500K" with 7135x4. This gives up some lumens, but lower output means it shouldn't get too hot and will have better runtimes. Good tint, the Biscotti UI is very customizable. This seems to be one of the top budget "tube light" options.

Sofirn S32A: Got one of these free from the manufacturer after buying several of their other lights on sale. A bit longer than the S2+, good NW tint ~5000k, electronic side switch with an option of either modes or a ramping UI. Pretty nice light, though the ramping could use a little refinement. One really nice thing Sofirn does is offer bundles where a battery and charger are included. The chargers are basic but they work, and the batteries appear to check out as being good quality. My son stole this from me and has some set-up where he uses it as a reading-light. I also got an earlier version SP31 on closeout that I gifted to my sister, she was blown away. (They have ~23 acres and I wanted them to have something decent that could hit the treeline at night, etc.)

Sofirn SF36: I really like this light and also have the warm white version, but that may be disco'd. Simple 4 mode clicky with hidden strobe. Great tint on the NW, good mode spacing, good throw for the size. Unfortunately a very good sale price on them just ended, but they still seem like a pretty solid buy at regular prices considering they include a battery and charger. There will probably be more sales in the future.

Astrolux S41: This is my favorite single 18650 light at the moment (18350 is standard, bought it with a tube extension). Same Bistro UI as the BLF A6, quad Nichia high-cri emitters. I've gathered that the Nichias give up efficiency for the better color rendering, so you give up some lumens and run-time, but I like the quality of light it produces and runtimes generally haven't been an issue for my use (where I can generally get by with AAs). The copper head does its job well, but this means it gets HOT fast on turbo.

BLF Q8: This is my "big" light for now, 4x18650, quad emitters, 5k lumens, excellent ramping UI, it just kicks ass.

Gratuitous pics:

(Really enjoying the PITS as well lately.)

-Nate
June 20, 2018 12:20PM
Thanks Nate. I appreciate your thoughts. I briefly got into flashlights, but trying to keep up with all the details (rendering, lumens, battery timing, etc) quickly wore me down.

I'm a big fan of the 90 degree lights, and have an old Zebra one that I love. I have several ArmyTek ones too that I love less. The main difference is the UI. The Zebra one makes so much more sense to me. I've long wanted one of ArmyTek's 18560 weapon type lights, but I hate having to triple click and also turn the butt cap to access different modes.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

June 20, 2018 07:00PM
Anytime man.

I know what you're saying about the dizzing number of things to consider once you start down the rabbit hole. I consciously stuck with low-powered AA and AAA lights for a long time in an attempt to keep it simple. I've gotten in pretty deep this time, but I think I'm pretty well set for the time being. At least they're generally a lot cheaper than knives and firearms!

I've heard a lot of praise for the Zebras, especially their UI, but haven't ponied up for one yet. I tend to start at the low end with my hobbies and slowly work my way up. Maybe I'll pick one up in the future, but even $20-30 can get you a lot of flashlight these days.

-Nate
June 21, 2018 04:19AM
Yeah, I was really surprised at the prices on the ones you linked, and what they offer for those prices. Some really great values there.

The battery thing is a whole other issue too! At first I ordered the 14500 models because I liked I could use regular double AA's, but the cr123 battery ones proved to have more options and a better size, and finally I couldn't resist the 18560 because of how much power they pack. But I hate having that many types of batteries. My 14500 don't see much use now, because I like how if in a pinch I can use two cr123 to replace a 18560.

June 21, 2018 04:42AM
I'm fairly curious, as someone who sticks religiously to AA or AAA battery flashlights (and is perfectly happy with his >$2 AAA light), what do you get, from a practical standpoint, when going for more aficionado lights, something over 300 lumen?
June 21, 2018 07:20AM
Depending on your perspective, I think they offer quite a lot. Much more lumens (most of the ones I listed above are rated over 1,000,) more color temp options, better tints, better UIs with more features, etc... but then again in a very practical sense if you just occasionally need to light something up for a second and your $2 keychain light or the light on your smartphone is sufficient for your needs, there's nothing wrong with that. It's similar to the old argument that no one "needs" anything more than very basic knives.

-Nate
June 21, 2018 08:05AM
Nate T
It's similar to the old argument that no one "needs" anything more than very basic knives.

The incandescent bulb won two world wars! I don't need your LEDs or 200+ lumens kid.
June 21, 2018 09:36AM
For me Luis, I enjoy the greater outputs, the typically greater range of modes, the longer battery lives (at least with the 18650 ones), and also the use of rechargeable batteries. It sames me time and money I think the long run, at least time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login