Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

flashlights?

Posted by KWB 
KWB
flashlights?
December 20, 2015 03:44AM
Anyone else into flashlights? I just ordered a bored oveready 6p with v5 drop in that puts out 3500 lumens for my dad for x-mas. If you guys arent familar with lights beyond a mag lite and visit the site understand these guys and gals are top tier so brace for price.

What are your favorite lights and why?
For me its- oveready/moddolar- portable sun.
HDS rotary- awesome u.I. And tank like
Peak eiger- small bright edc.

Contact 570-486-9095
Re: flashlights?
December 20, 2015 06:10AM
I try not to EDC anything besides a knife that is over $20, if knives (Byrd knives make me happy!) and Leathermans were $10, I would only EDC those models. Things get lost or 'confiscated' by the local authorities around here.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
December 20, 2015 08:05AM
I"m mildly into them...I'm pretty sure real flashlight freaks would make fun of me, the same way some knife people make fun of people who think Kershaw is the end all be all.

I have a few Zebralights and Armytek headlamps that I like a lot. Bu they are at the upper end of what I would be willing to spend. I also have a little Olight S1 baton that I love the size of.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
December 20, 2015 03:02PM
I am pretty happy with my Quark QTL-2 Tactical. If I needed a weapon light, I'd probably go with an Elzetta or a Surefire. I haven't heard of any chinese lights that are shock rated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
December 20, 2015 03:07PM
You can get a true 1000 lumens flashlight at Home Depot for $30ish. It is also one of the better club like flashlights and it runs on D-cell batteries (which is nice because they sell them everywhere.)

These flashlights are so good that I, personally, can't justify spending more on them. I understand why people do however. Once you get into the 1000 lumens range the brightness and distance is amazing. I'd like to have a 3500 lumen flashlight, but I'm willing to wait for another couple of years to get one for $30.00 at Home Depot.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
KWB
December 20, 2015 03:29PM
You guys are more into them than most people. That is thing with lights though wait enough time and cheap stuff will come out with the same power. But then the spendy stuff has even more.........bummer.

Contact 570-486-9095
December 20, 2015 06:35PM
I have a fenix ld22 that I have had for a couple years and I really like it. Uses aa batteries runs for hours and so far has never let me down

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
December 20, 2015 07:06PM
KWB
You guys are more into them than most people. That is thing with lights though wait enough time and cheap stuff will come out with the same power. But then the spendy stuff has even more.........bummer.

I have been searching for a long handled, high powered, flashlight that runs on AA batteries and is really solid. I even considered trying to make one for myself. There are a few flashlight nerd forums and they will tell you how to make all sorts of crazy flashlights. Why I want the above?

- AA batteries are the most common, by far, here in the states at least.
- A long, thin, heavy, handle would make for a great club. AA's seem perfect for this.
- Add a high powered strobe effect for blind and bash goodness.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
December 20, 2015 07:35PM
I am not a light nut like some, but having spent many years working midnights I appreciate how useful they can be.

i have a bunch of these Coast LED lights in various coats, briefcases and my cars:
[www.amazon.com]

Small, bright light at a very reasonable cost.

I actually just ordered of these today for a pack in my winter car:

[www.amazon.com]

I have a couple of head lamps that see regular duty, lately daily for dog walking as it is dark when I get home and we don't have street lights. I don't mind walking in the dark, but a headlamp and a reflective vest help me to be seen by some of the yahoos that drive down our road.
KWB
December 20, 2015 07:49PM
Chum- a maglite would be easy to mod so they say. I can relate to the battery thing however you will not get serious output with regular alkaline or nihm batteries. While I realize you dont want special batteries but 18650 are great battery setup. I really dont know of any clublike AA.

Contact 570-486-9095
December 20, 2015 09:51PM
I modded one of my old 2AA-Mini-Maglites with a NiteEze click tailswitch and led buld. You can also buy (years ago I saw these) an attachment to add weight and length to a 2AA Mini Mag. They also started making a 3AA Mini Mag, same size as the one with the weighted base attachment, maybe that's worth looking at.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
December 22, 2015 07:20AM
when working plant maintenance, i was always looking for the ideal flashlight to carry. i ended up with one from utilitech($3), just under 4" long, 1" diameter, push button on the bottom, weighs 3oz. led light using 3 AAA batteries, fit easily in pants pocket(important feature as ones that fit in shirt pocket can fall out). waterproof, oilproof, graphite-lube proof. i have 3 headlites, one in house, one in shop, one in car, everready work ok. only NAME flashlite is a 2AA MagLite, works ok but it is uncomfortable in pants pocket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2015 07:31AM by oldsailorsknives.
December 23, 2015 05:53AM
I am mildly into lights. Like knives, I went into it just wanting to do some research and pick up a few solid performers. With lights I manged to keep it there smiling smiley

I stuck with stuff that would run fine on regular AA or AAA batteries, but most of them will run on lithium cells as well (but I tend not to use them because it feels like overkill for my needs). I also have a bunch of rechargable Eneloops for all of our lights, battery operated toys, etc... which have been great.

For a couple of years my main lights have been XENO e03's outfitted with Fenix clips for single AA and a Fenix LD01 for AAA. Looks like the price really jumped on the LD01, just saw them for ~$70, but I got mine in a combo pack with an E01 for under $50 I believe. Funny story, the combo pack was a gift for my wife. She put the purple E01 on her keychain and threw the LD01 in a drawer where it colloected dust for 6 months or so until I reclaimed it, lol.

I also have several Thrunite Ti 2's (not titanium) that my kids use and have held up well and another 2xAA Fenix, I think it's an E20 ...and a large old Mag-lite somewhere that I should look into converting to led.

-Nate
December 23, 2015 08:08AM
I have a 5-D MagLite from when I used to work security, nice light.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
December 23, 2015 10:26AM
Another funny story, I've had many Mags come and go over the years. The big one we have now came to us when my wife left her car unlocked on the street a few years ago. Someone decided to go through it. I guess they left in a hurry because we found a present the next morning smiling smiley

As far as we could tell nothing was taken, or even worth taking.

-Nate
December 23, 2015 09:25PM
Ha! That's funny. Have you seen Nutnfancys YouTube with a similar story? Except their stuff got stolen.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
December 24, 2015 03:30PM
Jason, haven't seen the ntnfncy vid, sounds like it could be entertaining smiling smiley

I actually had a couple of lights come in today, sort of forgot about them, ordered 30-45 days ago? (Slow boat from China, haha.)

They are essentially the sf-348 ($6, shipped eye popping smiley,) but with a higher cri Nichia emitter. It was a group buy from budget light forum that I got in on after it went public. They are going for a second round here. If anyone is looking for a really clean single mode 1xaaa clicky, these seem like a sweet deal.

I like small lights like this with reversible clips that I can clip to the bill of a cap.

-Nate
December 25, 2015 09:41AM
I used to have 18650 and cr123 batteries flashlights but I settled on AAA and AA combo for the near future
good sanyo rechargeable batteries and olight /skilhunt flashlights
one thing I am missing for now is a good headlamp as hl50 by fenix

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
May 30, 2016 05:37PM
I just bought a Surefire E2D as my Quark is starting to show its age to the point that I don't trust it as a life or death light.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

KWB
May 30, 2016 06:55PM
Those are nice lights, I carry my oveready 6p and peak eiger turbo head every single day without fault.

Contact 570-486-9095
May 30, 2016 06:57PM
KWB: Buy once, cry once.

My quark is starting to flicker, so it needed to be replaced.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

KWB
May 30, 2016 06:59PM
I didnt really cry but it stung a little dropping that much cash on a single light, however for me it was worth it.

I will say though if my life depends on something it has to be surefire/oveready or HDS. I trust nothing else more.

Contact 570-486-9095

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 07:01PM by KWB.
May 31, 2016 08:41AM
The Coast HP1 is an excellent light for the price. (under $10). I bought about a dozen and keep on in every coat pocket and in my vehicles, in the kitchen, etc.
June 05, 2016 09:46AM
Some commentary on the Surefire E2D compared to the Quark:

-Better ergos on the surefire, as well as a much better designed pocket clip

-The addition of the strike bezel makes it more of a weapon of last resort than the Quark

-Tail cap lock is nice for preventing the light from going on accidentally

-Much faster to switch between light modes than the Quark

Negatives:

-Quark has more variability in terms of light modes, including strobe and a low/medium mode.

-Quark has higher output (800 lumens max vs. 500 on the Surefire)

Resident Emerson Fanboi

KWB
June 05, 2016 05:27PM
Sf under rates their lights while other manufacturers often inflate their specs......... Unless you have a light meter or HDS light you really dont know how many lumens you actually got.

Contact 570-486-9095
June 17, 2016 02:17AM
I went through a bit of a daft phase buying lights. I have always been fascinated by them and have carried one every day for most of my adult life.

Surefire 6P LED
Surefire E1D
Prometheus Alpha
Prometheus Beta QR
McGizmo Haiku XPG2 warm
McGizmo mule Nichia 219B
Eagletac D25C
Armytek Predator
Steve Ku 40DD
Matchbox Instruments HF-R Copper Nichia 219B

I stopped buying them when I got the McGizmo Haiku, around the time my son was born, I can't imagine ever needing any more light than that although I would like an HDS Rotary.

Cheers,

-Andy
June 20, 2016 07:14PM
The Streamlight Nano is incredible!

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
January 27, 2017 07:18PM
Replaced the old, dull light in my desk AA mini-maglight with a Terralux LED.

With the beam adjusted as tight as it will go, it seems comparable to a 90 Lumen Streamlight Styluspro. It is rated at 140 lumens, but I really doubt that.

For EDC I prefer the Stylus or or its little brother. But otherwise the minimag would have been obsolete and I like keeping it viable.
January 28, 2017 08:15AM
Quick comparison:

January 28, 2017 12:15PM
I like seeing these mini-flashlight comparisons, as I am in the market for one.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login