Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lock picking as a hobby.

Posted by TerriLiGunn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Lock picking as a hobby.
October 26, 2016 04:14AM
I've always had a interest in locks, how they work, and how to defeat them.

Well since I had a bit of free money I got a replacement lock pick set and have been trying to pick various locks in my house. Thus far no luck, but I hope to get back what skill I had years ago.

So anyone ever try their hand at lock picking?

To explain how much I am into locks I even watch lock picking channels on youtube like BosianBills channel. He is a wealth of info on locks and lock picking. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp1orOGJwZvjLAvckyxC4Nw
Re: Lock picking as a hobby.
October 26, 2016 07:10AM
I used to be into it. Enjoyed it before moving on to other things. Picked up some pin kits at a garage sale and made side money rekeying locks and setting up master lock systems too.

The only locks I could do consistently were the KwikSet, the Schlage were more precise and took more skill. Not sure where any brands are at these days. had a buddy that would buy new unkeyed lock cylinders for cheap, then pick to open and key. Saved money and used his skill.

The idea of buying locks off Ebay seemed fun, but I already have plenty to do...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2016 07:12AM by Any Cal..
October 26, 2016 11:17AM
I have always wanted to, but I have nerver gone through with it. Looks fun and useful to me.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
October 26, 2016 11:34AM
I picked locks off and on for a few years. I started picking locks after I had an accident in the army that severely damaged my right index finger.
I used lock picking as an exercise to work on dexterity and getting used to the reduced feeling in my finger. Lock picking is very challenging, rewarding, and frustrating. It may be more frustrating though.
October 26, 2016 02:12PM
I've found it useful on occasion. It even got me a ladies number at the bar....after I got her back into her apartment when her keys were stolen at the bar.
October 26, 2016 05:45PM

The universal lock pick

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
October 27, 2016 04:56AM
That isn't a lock pick, that is a hole pick. A lock pick requires a lock. That just is where you pick where the hole is going.
October 27, 2016 06:01AM
I've always been fascinated by lock picking. Seems like an excellent survival skill... or criminal skill spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
October 27, 2016 08:35AM
The oxygen cutting lance is probably the most reliable lock picking method.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2016 08:37AM by Old Spice.
October 27, 2016 12:22PM
For lock sports, Bosnian Bill is good, but the locking picking lawyer on YouTube is my fave. He uses more too if the key way tension and a lighter touch than I do, and he is vastly better. He is a single pin genius. I am a more a rake and pray.

I have been meaning to get a few Petersen mini pry instead of the tension wrenches I have been using.
October 28, 2016 03:18AM
I wasn't aware this was a hobby outside of private detectives.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
October 28, 2016 05:09AM
Lock Smiths are the main push initially for the sport, but now it has branched into the hacker community. A lot of hacker cons have a lock portion somewhere. Now though a lot of random people are getting into it. I always just thought it was useful, and locks are just so interesting to me. I love seeing how they work, and thinking about designs to improve/defeat them.
October 28, 2016 05:43PM
Bugout Bill
I wasn't aware this was a hobby outside of private detectives.

Too funny, I think that it was probably Magnum PI that drove my interest as a young man... A .45 packing, locking picking, Ferrari driving lady's man.
video: [youtu.be]

While I did eventually become (and remain) a licensed private investigator, none of his adventures or island lifestyle followed. Then again, I am no Tom Selleck.

I have a fairly complete set of standard picks, but there are actually just a few I use for most locks. I can rake and single pin simple padlocks and easy Yale or Schlage doorways with enough time, I don't have near the touch of those who've dedicate serious time to the endeavor.

Shown with my practice locks.

I am not on the sport side of thing, but my limited skill has come in handy opening drawers or cabinets we lost the key to, locked doors and forgotten keys and the like.

You have to be very careful and do your research or ideally consult a qualified lawyer in your jurisdiction regarding carrying or even possession of lock picks as some areas consider them to be burglary tools. *** not intended as legal advice****
October 28, 2016 06:21PM
chad234
Too funny, I think that it was probably Magnum PI that drove my interest as a young man... A .45 packing, locking picking, Ferrari driving lady's man.
video: [youtu.be]

Do you have the stach?

chad234

Bad ass!

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 29, 2016 08:25AM
mccullen
I picked locks off and on for a few years. I started picking locks after I had an accident in the army that severely damaged my right index finger.
I used lock picking as an exercise to work on dexterity and getting used to the reduced feeling in my finger. Lock picking is very challenging, rewarding, and frustrating. It may be more frustrating though.

Thanks for sharing the story Jeremy, and boy did I understand that frustration part. You're picking the 5th pin when sudeendly 2 you've already picked fall from the sheer line, or too much tension and you bind. Running along the line of pins, and they all feel set, but no rotation. Dang security pins. Key ways that give you no room to maneuver.

Chum- no stashe, but that is the least of my MPI failings....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2016 08:48AM by chad234.
October 29, 2016 11:41AM
Chad,

When I picked (still on do occasion) focused on single pin picking not racking. The single pin made me focus on feeling with my right index finger the finger a tank decided it wanted to try to keep. To have that one pin that you can not figure out can drive you crazy. It is worse when you open the lock once and then you can't repeat it. You start to wonder if it was just dumb luck.
June 06, 2017 08:10PM
I just got one of those cheap sets off eBay that come with the transparent lock and a flat credit card set. The eBay set isn't that bad at all, and it works. The lock is easy to open, but a Master/Fortress lock is even easier. Not bad for less than $20USD shipped. I think I am going to get that titanium Bogata rake/tension bar combo set next, then a nice Southard/Sparrow/Peterson type kit for beginners. I just need more locks, I can pick the Kwikset on my front door(I have to be careful as I live in a security/indoor apartment, and it looks funny with me picking my lock in pubic.).

edit:
I also could use some nice tension/pry bars, they make a big difference in picking. I made a few, and they are just barely as good if not a little better that the cheap ones that came with my kits.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 08:13PM by jasonstone20.
June 07, 2017 01:10PM
jasonstone20
I just need more locks, I can pick the Kwikset on my front door(I have to be careful as I live in a security/indoor apartment, and it looks funny with me picking my lock in pubic.).

Have you investigated re-pinning the locks instead? Unless you are collecting locks I think this is a better option over all. This is coming from someone who regrets buying a starter set with graduated tumblers.

jasonstone20
edit:
I also could use some nice tension/pry bars, they make a big difference in picking. I made a few, and they are just barely as good if not a little better that the cheap ones that came with my kits.

Tension bars is where I would put my money. Have you played with jiggler keys yet? I have three on my keyring...used to unlock my truck with one. Most useful things I have ever had on a keyring.
June 07, 2017 02:39PM
Jason- good for you. I like rakes myself, I don't have the sensitivity or skill for single pin picking, especially locks with security features. If you haven't, watch the Lock Picking Lawyer on youtube, he is pretty incredible.
June 07, 2017 05:12PM
Chad,
Thank you. Yes, on You\Tube I like the Lock Picking Lawyer, also Bosnian Bill and tumbl3r have good channels on lock picking also.
I like raking also, I am trying to work on my single pin picking.

tarantella,
Re-pinning is on the list, I just need to get the equipment which is also on my to buy list. The locks I have right now are just cheap padlocks, and I don't think they can be re-pinned easily.

June 07, 2017 08:11PM
Well, I broke the thinner tension wrench that I got yesterday. I can still use it, I just bent the other side into an 'L' shape. I did end up going to the hardware stone and picking up a 3mm ($0.55 USD) and 2.5mm ($0.45 USD) hex L wrench and filed down the small end to fit locks so they work as a tension wrenches now. I also was going to by a foot of spring steel wire ($3.65 USD per foot) they had, but they were out of the smallest size. I also was having issues opening my practice locks this morning for two reasons:
1) My hands were still weak from waking up and also sore from lockpicking yesterday
2) I was using way to much tension on the locks, causing all the pins to bind up and not be able to be picked. I guess it takes some time for my hands to wake up and get proper feeling as well as strength in them.

I did manage to finally get the practice locks open after I gave it a rest for a few hours, and I can single pin pick my front door very quickly, the 3mm filed wrench I made helps a lot.

June 07, 2017 08:40PM
You guys should definitely try to pick the lock of a S&W revolver.
June 08, 2017 12:16AM
Can we start a thread called "lock picking for deviant purposes" I think it would be more fun

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
June 08, 2017 01:37AM
Mark,
I thought everything we did was considered deviant? smiling bouncing smiley

I have been able to pick all the locks I have except one:

[youtu.be]

It is possible, as the LPL did it fairly quick, but I had two of these locks and one froze, they are notorious for being hard to turn the key in. The key does work fairly well in this one, I don't use it on anything because if it freezes also I would be in trouble.

June 08, 2017 01:41AM
Also I do have a friend who was gifted a lock re-pinning kit and doesn't want it so they said I could have it.

June 08, 2017 02:36AM
And I just discovered another reason i was having trouble with one of the locks, the cylinder and the two back pins were binding and getting stuck, so I just figured how to get them to fall without using the key.

edit:
It was still getting stuck so I sprayed some lubricant in the keyway and that seems to have helped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2017 02:45AM by jasonstone20.
June 09, 2017 05:48AM
I found this instructional video on YouTube about lockpicking, and learned some useful things:
[youtu.be]

June 09, 2017 07:42AM
This thread is fascinating. The fact that several of you have been practicing this is fascinating.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
June 09, 2017 01:04PM
Chum,
I have noticed that certain people with one interest that is similar with have others in common. Computers/Hacking, Firearms, Knives, Lockpicking all seem to go together. Check out a DefCon Hackers Convention video and they have all of those things, except I haven't really seen knives separated from firearms, as the firearms guys seem to be the same as the knife guys in general.

June 09, 2017 03:54PM
jasonstone20
I have noticed that certain people with one interest that is similar with have others in common. Computers/Hacking, Firearms, Knives, Lockpicking all seem to go together. Check out a DefCon Hackers Convention video and they have all of those things, except I haven't really seen knives separated from firearms, as the firearms guys seem to be the same as the knife guys in general.

Agreed, and this knife/gun guy is now interested in lock picking.

Chumgeyser on Youtube