Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chat Thread

Posted by Old Spice 
Chat Thread
April 01, 2017 01:37AM
This thread is for miscellaneous discussion of things.

In this case its my rant about Netflix.

I cancelled my Netflix account today. I am disappointed in their decision to crap out expensive movies instead of securing classic TV shows that provide 100's of hours of viewing instead of 90 minutes. Their stuff is a mixed bag, some of it I liked, but frankly none of it is something I want to binge on and that is the whole point of Netflix. They are going to spend 6 billion on new content but some how manage to have 40, 50 or 60% less content available on the site. Well screw that. I will let Amazon and Hulu pick up their slack.
Re: Chat Thread
April 01, 2017 08:01AM
Trailer Park Boys is the only show I can think of that makes Netflix worth it.
April 01, 2017 10:35AM
I watch a lot of stand-up on Netflix, like some of their original content so far. Lots of stuff for the kids, I've probably seen every episode of Sarah & Duck twice lol. Not a huge fun of letting them sit in front of the tube, but at least when they do we've cut out all the commercials. We don't have cable and barely watch the over the air networks, so it's pretty much all Netflix or Amazon.

Trailer Park Boys is awesome, but I'm many seasons behind on the action.

-Nate
April 01, 2017 02:08PM
If I want to watch any of Netflix exclusive stuff I come back for a single month and watch for a week and cancel again.
April 01, 2017 09:03PM
I like all the Marvel shows personally. Thought Iron Fist was better than critics suggested. Luke Cage fell short of expectations but was still worth watching if you are a comic nerd. Jessica Jones was great. Great plot, great character development. The Purple Man was one of the best villains to come along in a long time. Daredevil 1/2 has set the gold standard for fight scenes. If you are a fan of fight scenes, the two Daredevil seasons are a must watch.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
April 03, 2017 07:45AM
Something that's been driving me crazy is that when you download source code to build a program, and all the files aren't there to build it. I haven't been able to build a source code yet, 0 for 7.

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
April 04, 2017 05:20PM
On the subject of what to watch... if you haven't been watching The Americans, you are missing out. If you grew up in the Regan era you will get all sorts of nostalgic tinglies. If you didn't, it is still a great show. If nothing else, Keri Russell is worth the price of admission, although the acting is stellar across the board.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
April 04, 2017 06:51PM
Has anyone seen the series Man in the High Castle?:
[www.imdb.com]

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
April 04, 2017 07:20PM
jasonstone20
Has anyone seen the series Man in the High Castle?:
[www.imdb.com]

Yes. Season 1 was a little difficult to get through. Season 2 was better, but overall it was too slow without enough substance to keep me interested. I watched it because, at the time, I didn't have anything else to watch.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
April 05, 2017 11:13AM
I read the book. It should make a good series I think.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
April 06, 2017 09:50AM
I am happy to see some more Rick and Morty. Also, McDonald's is considering bringing Sechuan sauce back.
April 06, 2017 10:27AM
Luisknivacc
I am happy to see some more Rick and Morty. Also, McDonald's is considering bringing Sechuan sauce back.

Someone posted the Rick and Morty McNugget Szechaun episode on FB. I had never seen the show before. It was great. I was cracking up the entire time.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
April 06, 2017 10:36AM
Chum, it's great. No links to any clips on this forum though.
May 11, 2017 12:01AM
My tortoise died today.
May 11, 2017 03:02AM
Old Spice I'm going to be honest, your brevity and abruptness makes it hard for me to tell if you're serious or not, but if you are that's lousy, man. (If you're not serious, that's lousy too, let it be said) I know tortoises can live for a fair while, so that can make it worse in a way.

Our family cat that lives with my parents is 14 years old, and he's been going strong until the last 6 months or so, and he has started to get pretty bad dementia; has mild fits, doesn't know where he is, wets himself, loses proper use of his limbs temporarily. The vet has said that this is normal for old age in animals, but because most cats don't make it this far, people rarely see it, don't realise it happens. He's been around half of my lifetime, it will be hard to see him gone, but at the same time it's hard to see him still here like this.

Pet ownership huh. Did you have your tortoise for long Old Spice?
May 11, 2017 03:29AM
Sorry to hear about your tortoise Old Spice, and your cat SecondCrack.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
May 11, 2017 09:12AM
Sorry to hear about you guys pets. My cat got sick and died a few years ago, it was horrible to go through.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
May 11, 2017 11:22AM
My condolences about your tortoise Old Spice, I bet it was awesome. And your cat too SecondCrack. As much as I regret not having pets, at least I never have to deal with their passing.
May 11, 2017 04:53PM
I had it for four years, friend gave it to when he moved. Lived in the backyard.
May 11, 2017 09:27PM
A pet tortoise that lives in the backyard would probably have a life better than 99% of other pet tortoises, sounds like it was a lucky girl/guy.

The Vet told us that the cat isn't aware that he is having these episodes, to him it would just seem like waking up somewhere. Not sure how true that is, but he doesn't seem distressed or in any pain or anything, just messy and a bit confronting with his sudden mortality.

Everyone and everything dies, with pets you're just reminded a bit more often; not always a bad thing. The cat's had a good run though, I think this is nature/gods way of saying it's his time.

In other news, I've got a few businesses on the hook to do regular sharpening for, looks like a quick and easy little bit of weekend pocket money. Any of you guys have side businesses? How're things going for you?
May 12, 2017 01:02AM
What bothers me is that its death could of been prevented.
May 12, 2017 06:24AM
What happened Old Spice?
May 12, 2017 11:05AM
Old Spice
What bothers me is that its death could of been prevented.

Why does this NOT feel like the tale of a young lad who lost his beloved pet tortoise?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
May 12, 2017 03:21PM
It had a small injury on its underside that got infected, it went unnoticed until it was to late.
May 12, 2017 04:00PM
Old Spice
It had a small injury on its underside that got infected, it went unnoticed until it was to late.

Well that sucks. Sorry Old Spice, really. I feel for ya.
May 12, 2017 04:33PM
Sorry to hear that. Pets dying suck. I think I have shed more tears over dead dogs than I have for some people.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
June 13, 2017 04:01AM
My favorite advice to give to young people is, never do anything nice for another person, unless you feel guilty about not doing it. Otherwise don't help um, don't do nice things you're only wasting your own time.
June 13, 2017 06:58AM
OldSpice,
It's funny, some people don't even appreciate someone doing a nice thing for them, and others will take advantage. It is important to have good boundaries.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
June 13, 2017 10:06AM
Old Spice
My favorite advice to give to young people is, never do anything nice for another person, unless you feel guilty about not doing it. Otherwise don't help um, don't do nice things you're only wasting your own time.

I suppose that makes sense. I would add that if someone doesn't ask for help/advice then it's probably not productive to give it. And it may have the opposite effect of what was intended.
June 13, 2017 10:34AM
Ryan,
That's a good point.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login