Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chat Thread

Posted by Old Spice 
Re: Chat Thread
September 05, 2019 09:41PM
jasonstone20
Ryan,
I kept looking for when the USA went off track also.

Well I wasn’t really thinking along those lines or anything else having to do with current western politics, just to be clear. I already figured out what the primary source of the problems in western countries is, it’s got nothing to do with this stuff.

It was simply a series of thoughts and questions that stemmed from my recent studies of WWI and how those events sort of bled into what became WWII, and then that ran on into the spread of communism after WWII, and then I thought something like, “Wow, what an incredibly high number of deaths in a mere 50 years or so.”

Generally I think it’s unlikely that our species has fundamentally changed to any serious degree in the last few hundred years simply because of how many thousands of years it took to get us to be the way we currently are, I just can’t see anything undoing that in a fraction of the time. But when I started to think about just how many people died in the course of only 50 years or so, well then I start to wonder about what exactly the impact of that was.

Even though the total deaths from both wars and the two largest communist governments were only perhaps 5% or 10% of the world’s total population at that time, it still seems like incredibly high losses in that relatively short timeframe, so I have to wonder just how much that impacted humanity collectively.

Even in my own case, my grandpa had volunteered for infantry combat in Vietnam but was not allowed to go because of two separate medical reasons. Had he gone over there and been killed, or come back so disturbed by his experiences that he killed himself the way his best friend did, then there are 10 people right now who wouldn’t exist and countless others who wouldn’t have had the pleasure of knowing the man. And that’s one man, as opposed to 100 million.
September 06, 2019 05:39AM
A few questions that Ryan's post made me think of:

• Does death from disease throughout the "dark ages" eclipse death from war and famine of the 20th century?
  • If in prehistory our ancestors died shortly after passing on their genetics does that make the "warrior" genetics common in everyone?
  • Did my father, grandfather, and great grandfather pass on their genetics to anyone else while overseas? Was this common among those who did not return?
  • What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

“Like every other creature on the face of the earth, Godfrey was, by birthright, a stupendous badass, albeit in the somewhat narrow technical sense that he could trace his ancestry back up a long line of slightly less highly evolved stupendous badasses to that first self-replicating gizmo---which, given the number and variety of its descendants, might justifiably be described as the most stupendous badass of all time. Everyone and everything that wasn't a stupendous badass was dead.”
― Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
September 06, 2019 07:14AM
Ryan,
Have you read this? I think it explains a lot.
I think if you compare the increase in world population compared to war/government caused dead, it might be relative. Just think how many people the Mongols killed when the planet wasn't as populace. Or look at the American Civil War. Also, after wars, more boys are born, I have been told.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
October 24, 2019 02:40PM

A real American hero.
October 25, 2019 10:23PM
Old news, been going on since the 80's.
October 25, 2019 10:48PM
Old Spice
Old news, been going on since the 80's.

He did touch on that actually, mentioned one or two phone companies giving mass records to the feds since the mid 80’s.

In some sense, it’s kinda inevitable that these abuses of power will take place right along with the technology innovations. The same sort of abuses have been happening with pretty much every other relevant technology in almost every government in human history, it’s just the outward appearance of the abuses that looks different because the new technology is different, but the core abuses are basically the same. They screwed with the printing press and kept the peasants from reading to control them, why wouldn’t they do similar things with the new stuff?
me2
October 26, 2019 04:08AM
Pardon my ignorance in the middle of a developed discussion, but who is "they" with regard to the printing press?
October 26, 2019 05:58AM
me2
Pardon my ignorance in the middle of a developed discussion, but who is "they" with regard to the printing press?

No worries haha it’s only a chat thread. What I meant by “they” was just various individuals making up the sort of “ruling elite” class of medieval Europe, who had, at least up until roughly (very roughly) 1550 to 1650, maintained what you could think of as a monopoly on literacy over the peasantry.

The gradual mass-adoption of the mechanical printing press was, in essence, the beginning of the mass-communications era. Before that, wealthy ruling-class people were really the only ones (as a general rule) who could read the Bible, communicate using letters and such from afar, etc. This gave them quite a lot of control over very important information, keeping the subjects in the dark.

Just as a point of comparison by way of analogy, imagine if only the most powerful and wealthy families, corporations, governments, and religious organizations of today were to be the only ones who had any access to the internet. I mean that’s a really incredible advantage over the general population and they would naturally feel some significant resistance to the idea of relinquishing that level of control. So it was with Gutenberg’s contraption and all that followed, it broke the monopoly and brought knowledge to the masses. That’s the very short version at least.
October 31, 2019 05:42PM
I think talking to combat veterans is probably one of my all-time favorite things to do.
November 01, 2019 07:32AM
Ryan,
I can listen to them talk all day also. Have you watched Jocko Wiliniks podcast? Good stuff.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
November 01, 2019 11:09AM
jasonstone20
Have you watched Jocko Wiliniks podcast? Good stuff.

Yes, the ones featuring veterans are awesome.

I recently found out that one of my coworkers did two tours in the Middle East. Ramadi, Baghdad, etc. Yesterday’s conversation was about a time when a sandstorm kicked up in the middle of a prolonged firefight and the resulting poor visibility and communication issues caused friendly fire and several casualties from it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login