Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Discussion of Logic and Reasoning

Posted by Ryan Nafe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Discussion of Logic and Reasoning
August 24, 2020 03:29AM
Ryan Nafe

In my view it’s not about saving SJW’s

To clarify, as that example was misleading apparently.

People like Abe Lincoln and many others were willing to sacrifice themselves because the people they were fighting for deserved it. However the reason why this isn't happening now is that it looks like the general populace itself is causing the problem, SJW's were an example of a populace which is cannibalizing itself that few people are going to be willing to sacrifice themselves to save.
August 24, 2020 05:24AM
CliffStamp
People like Abe Lincoln and many others were willing to sacrifice themselves because the people they were fighting for deserved it.

I’m with you so far. The slaves were so obviously innocent people being endlessly abused (to put it lightly) that it would readily motivate tons of people (like the 77,000 Wisconsin citizens that volunteered for infantry combat) to do whatever they possibly could in order to bring that to an end. People just couldn’t live with themselves if they didn’t do something about it.

CliffStamp
However the reason why this isn't happening now is that it looks like the general populace itself is causing the problem, SJW's were an example of a populace which is cannibalizing itself that few people are going to be willing to sacrifice themselves to save.

This part is where I’m not sure if I’m getting what you’re saying. I might be way overthinking this or just having some kind of major mental malfunction, it’s not at all necessarily your fault or something, I just don’t seem to be grasping it.

Possibly you mean that the divide is between sectors of the entire country, a divided population in general, and without an extremely strong motivation source (like if one group is literally keeping people locked up and using them like farm equipment) it’s not gonna be easy for people to risk themselves in an attempt to end it.
August 24, 2020 05:10PM
To be frank, people of character are not going to risk their lives and everything they have to save people who don't from themselves.
August 24, 2020 05:32PM
Now I get ya.
August 24, 2020 05:57PM
CliffStamp
To be frank, people of character are not going to risk their lives and everything they have to save people who don't from themselves.

And that ties directly into what you mentioned before as to why people are tending to not resist it until it comes for them personally.
sal
October 17, 2020 05:10PM
Wow,

Now I'm kicking myself for not having explored "the wood shed" before.

sal
October 18, 2020 01:53AM
Come on Sal, its the sub-forum with the most posts, and the third highest post to topic ratio on the forum. Something had to have been happening here.
October 18, 2020 02:04AM
At this point it’s almost like we’re all living in the wood shed and occasionally venturing out to the other places.
sal
October 19, 2020 08:15PM
Obviously my bad. I'll make sure to get in here. My forum time is limited so time management is what it is.

With Logic and reasoning on stage, where does: spin, persuasion and manipulation fit in?

sal
October 19, 2020 11:12PM
Obsfucation.
October 20, 2020 08:03AM
sal

With Logic and reasoning on stage, where does: spin, persuasion and manipulation fit in?

I'd say that the person doing them is at fault, but each person also has a duty to safeguard themselves from it. If you lean into comfortable untruths for their soothing nature, you're only failing yourself.
November 01, 2020 11:39PM
sal
Obviously my bad. I'll make sure to get in here. My forum time is limited so time management is what it is.

sal

Tools that are useful if you want people to do the illogical.
November 09, 2020 07:48AM
We’re not different animals than we were 1,000 years ago, we’re the same animals with different technology.

January 22, 2021 06:23AM
James Lindsay has been on a roll over the last couple of weeks and here are two recent recordings from him that are indispensable if you want to understand what exactly is going on, on a philosophical level, with the current cultural and political situation in America:

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

With regards to any commentary on the videos’ contents, once again, please keep it technical or philosophical in nature. No emotional venting, no empty labels and condemnations. Please stay level-headed and technical with the commentary.