Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are Knife Forums Dead?

Posted by jasonstone20 
Are Knife Forums Dead?
November 08, 2018 12:18PM
Given Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and other internet platforms allow for makers to directly show their wares and for fans and customers to directly interact with the makers and each other, is there a point to knife forums anymore? Are forums negatives outweighing their positives?

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Re: Are Knife Forums Dead?
November 08, 2018 03:10PM
Forums are for specific niche audiences, allow for much faster turn around time in terms of communication. They also have moderation and focus which reduces noise generated from people with little shared interest. Compared to Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, you have room for more independence and are less vulnerable to the whims of some mega-corporation pandering to its advertising interests. Generally a better chance of having someone see what you are trying to contribute since its not driven by algorithms. I mean look at reedit and 4chan, basically two specialized types of forums. With huge amounts of traffic, they are less passive to participate in, but also contain more useful information in a format that is quicker to access than sitting through a 10 minute video.
November 09, 2018 06:09AM
Old Spice,
Great point.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
November 09, 2018 07:28AM
Maybe a better question is are forums dead? The appeal, to me, of Facebook, Instagram, YouTube is that I already have credentials for those systems and there is interesting content there. Mind you, I do not post very much if at all on those platforms.

I used to hang out on 4chan's /k and while I learned some good stuff - dealing with the board's culture stopped making it worth it. The image board format does have its appeal though: no login, pseudo-anonymous, and limited moderation. Then again, 4chan and reddit to a large extant, are meme-driven platforms by design.

Moderation is the real issue for me. Where 4chan might suffer from lack of moderation many subs (reddit) suffer from too much. I really "miss" usenet's rec.knives....not that it was perfect but one could argue a position, and sometimes it was an uphill battle, and eventually have other users see their side of things. Alvin J. with comes to mind with his high-hardness blades. Newsreaders made it easy to be your own moderator and, for me at least, I weighed every blocking choice against "will this person teach me something new."

Ideally, maybe federated social networking will finally take hold?
JDW
November 10, 2018 12:47AM
I enjoy reading forums for entertainment and education. Gives me an idea what goes on in the knife world. Over the years I have learned a lot there. And it is fun to learn what others who share this hobby are up to.

Besides it is I am picky in what I read. I avoid a lot of silly flames and silly discussions. There is a lot left to enjoy if you do.

No need to take it too serious.
November 11, 2018 08:21AM
Tarantella,
I miss rec.knives also.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
November 11, 2018 11:24PM
On the note of 4chan and reedit, reedit might be useful for hobby based info. 4chan is for entertainment. Neither are great examples of specific niche interests. I used them to highlight the success of the forum format.
December 06, 2018 10:17AM
4chan has made me laugh more than almost anything else in the last couple years. Those guys have a very good sense of humor to me, it’s rich with darkness, cynicism, and irony. Which is basically my “perfect three” for humor.
December 06, 2018 10:23AM
Also, Reddit has a few sections on leather shoes that often have good information in them, I think it’s useful for seeing opinions, materials quality, or durability of various shoes.
December 06, 2018 10:26AM
/k/ "unironically" had some of the best ak-47 content on the internet and halfway-decent knife threads too.
January 01, 2019 11:28AM
/k/ gives me some faith that the 2A community is going to be around for a while.

As for knife forums, I don't really see them going anywhere as long there are people with an interest in knives. If reddit and facebook decide that knives are verboten to talk about, that more than likely help ensure their continued existence.

I think another factor that will affect forums is what happens with the knife industry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
January 02, 2019 02:35PM
Bill,
That is a good analysis of the situation.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
November 16, 2019 02:52PM
I am noticing a lot of drama on Social Media, and you really can't have a serious discussion like on knife forums.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login