Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Goodbye, Cliff Stamp, a man in a billion

Posted by cKc 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Goodbye, Cliff Stamp, a man in a billion
July 01, 2021 12:30AM
Cliff had been teaching me since rec.knives. May his memory be a blessing.
July 01, 2021 12:37AM
Rest In Peace you brilliant Sasquatch. You will be missed

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
sal
July 01, 2021 01:11AM
A shock and a heart breaker for me. I had more respect for Cliff than just about anyone in the industry, Special and Unique. Dancing on the edge for all of us.

sal
July 01, 2021 01:20AM
Thought it might be interesting to publish something he said to me once, I still had this saved in an email cache. Hopefully his own words will help some of us:

Ryan,

There is suffering and pain, and some people have it more than others. I see it in the kids I work with, and it is hard to understand anything aside from the fact this has to be a world of random chance because how else could you explain how so many bad things happen to good people.

Why do we live, is there a purpose. People struggle with these things and I don't think there is an answer. All I can say is we live in this world for a short time, it is far too short to leave things unsaid, and things undone, so live the life than makes you happy, do the things that are meaningful to you, and try to make the world a better place.

He and I talked about this kind of stuff a lot over the years, I may have some other things available if anyone would like to read some more. Just let me know and I’ll see what I can find.
July 01, 2021 02:41AM
Wow I'm at a loss for words. I've already missed seeing Cliff around here over the past year or two, but I knew he was doing great things with special needs kiddos so I was proud of him for setting the priorities he did. But man it hurts that he's no longer with us permanently. We'll miss you Cliff
July 01, 2021 03:45AM
Kyley

Via PM... If you give me your postal address where you are, I will send you a little something to play with... smiling smiley

Signed the guestbook...

The irony is that I was due to visit friends in St Johns early this year, and Cliff was part of the visit, if he was agreeble to have me visit...

Ce le vie...

Thanks Worm Oracle...Yup, I hope this forum is saved securely, as I still have not seen it all here...
July 01, 2021 04:11AM
Rest in peace my old friend. Thank you for reaching out to me 2 years ago. You will always be in my thoughts.
July 01, 2021 04:33AM
Worm Oracle,
Thank you for archiving the site, and for the kind words.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
sai
July 01, 2021 05:44AM
Thank you Cliff for everytime you helped me out when I had a question. May you rest in peace.
I just hope this forum continues to be online as a memorial and all the knowledge Cliff gathered from endless testing will be preserved. If anyone is raising funds for this, just hit me up.
July 01, 2021 06:11AM
Bugout Bill
https://www.cauls.ca/obituary/clifford-stamp

Here is a link to the actual obituary for anyone who was interested. You can sign the guestbook there if you wish to leave a comment, I'm sure the Stamp family would appreciate it.

Thank you for this, it really helps me to know what the man behind the camera looked like, for some reason.

Exact same age as my Mother when she passed, taken too young, but will forever fill the hearts of those left behind.
July 01, 2021 11:51AM
I have discovered this forum not many years ago and remained a lurker. Spent hours reading and learning from Cliff, enjoyed it much.

He was a brilliant person and as physicists, often, misunderstood. I wish I could thank him for all the knowledge he has given to me and everyone.

Rest in Peace.
July 01, 2021 11:57AM
Thank you Bill for posting the correct obit link. Sorry I missed it when I reposted the one from the Spyderco forum.

Ryan, thank you for sharing. I would be interested to read more.

Worm Oracle, thank you. I’m glad to know a backup of this forum exists.

I feel quite small in this at the moment, but as shock gives way to grief it really hits hard to realize how important and influential he really was in my life over the last decade-plus. He genuinely made me want to raise my standards and be a better person in many ways.

I noticed that the links in Cliff’s “In case you are feeling generous…” thread are both inactive now. Imagine I’m not alone in wanting to make further contributions to the organization Cliff devoted the last few years of his life to… perhaps this is already being worked on, but if anyone has information on how to donote now that the Go Fund Me is down, it would be appreciated.

-Nate
July 01, 2021 12:38PM
Man, i hate to hear this. Im grateful for all he did for me, and i wish i had been able to repay it somehow.

Ill be wishing all the best to those suffering his loss.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
July 01, 2021 01:47PM
sal and everyone else that offered funds to keep the forum going:
THANK YOU!

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
sal
July 01, 2021 01:50PM
Hi Jason,

need address for funds to keep forum going?

sal
me2
July 01, 2021 05:06PM
I’ve been thinking about this all day as I just read the news early this morning. Please let me know as well. I’ll write more this evening.
July 01, 2021 10:15PM
sal, me2,
I will be in touch with everyone as soon as I know what is going on.

me2
July 02, 2021 02:49AM
I have talked to Cliff over various forums for over 20 years. His presence on Bladeforums was refreshing and his banning greatly reduced my interest there. When he showed up on Noss’ forum i was glad to see him back. He rattled many cages, but that’s what happens when you say what you think. We traded knives, tried some very hyped blades we both found didn’t quite live up to the hype, and I’d like to think I provided him with some interesting questions to explore. I haven’t been around here as much as I once was and now feel I’ve missed out. With a few exceptions I found answers to most of the questions I had about knives and the steels used. Cliffs ability to always find new questions and the enthusiasm to answer them was what made his work so interesting. He’s been missed here and on the Spyderco forum and a few others. In the end he had a greater calling to help the people he taught and I don’t think anyone can argue with that. He did what he enjoyed and will live on through his work with them and his published findings here, Bladeforums, Spyderco, Knifedogs, rec.knives, and a couple others. He was often maligned but his position on how to deal with such things was consistent and showed he understood much more about non-knife topics than he was ever given credit for. Rest In Peace Cliff. You’ve earned it.
July 02, 2021 05:01PM
Sad news.

Cliff changed my opinion on performance and encouraged me to pursue knife making.

You will be missed.
July 04, 2021 04:35PM
I feel sick reading this news. Though I did not know him personally even in limited interaction and passive reading it was clear he was a genuinely special and generous person. It is especially shocking to hear of his death because of his larger-than-life presence; Cliff Stamp was an institution as well as a man. This was far more than simple celebrity that some go in for. In the truest meaning of the trite words we have all suffered a loss.
July 09, 2021 10:42PM
In case anyone wants to read Cliff's posts here and on BladeForums:
[www.cliffstamp.com]
[www.cliffstamp.com]

July 10, 2021 01:42AM
Thanks Jason! I've been watching a lot of Cliff's old videos lately.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
me2
July 11, 2021 12:42AM
All that is a lost bit of arcana on BFC. There are a lot of users who will never run across some of the information he posted there and on rec.knives. Thanks.
July 12, 2021 03:40AM
jasonstone20
sal, me2,
I will be in touch with everyone as soon as I know what is going on.

I will certainly contribute to this. Let me know as well please
July 12, 2021 03:43AM
Cobalt,
Will do.

cKc
July 14, 2021 12:44PM
I have moved my last post regarding the forum to a new Topic. lets keep this topic related to Cliff's Memorial, other topics can go elsewhere.
Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
July 15, 2021 03:34PM
I haven't posted here for some time but I am shocked and saddened to read this. I leant so much from Cliff, and this forum in general. He will be sadly missed and I hope a way can be found to keep this resource alive.
July 20, 2021 09:26AM
Just heard about Cliff's passing through facebook.
I learned a lot from cliff, both specific information about blades, steel and physics but also about the nature of the industry itself and the way that people interact surrounding it. It helped me at the time and still helps me today in my knife journey with kailash.
He was a man who gave a lot of himself to others- I can only hope that people feel the same way about me when I'm gone.
July 31, 2021 07:30PM
been a bad 14 months and this just adds to it. lost wife, mom and sanity. sad to see him go.
scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2021 07:33PM by oldsailorsknives.
me2
August 01, 2021 03:30PM
Wow that’s rough. Sorry to hear that.