Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Harbor Freight 1x30 Belt Sander

Posted by Chum 
Harbor Freight 1x30 Belt Sander
July 25, 2013 11:37AM
I've been following Craigslist for months now in hopes that someone would post a used 2X72 belt sander for sale... no luck so far.

I've been putting off the lowly Harbor Freight 1X30 but I can't do it any longer. It's on sale for $39.95! That's just too cheap to pass on.

So... what kind of belts should I get? They've got this assortment for sale (will this work on the 1X30 or do I have to get the pre-looped kind made specifically for 1X30 sanders? )...

Also, do these belt cleaners work well? ...

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
Re: Harbor Freight 1x30 Belt Sander
July 25, 2013 11:41AM
The belt cleaners are amazing. No chum, you need the looped kind sorry.
July 25, 2013 11:50AM
Mark a
The belt cleaners are amazing. No chum, you need the looped kind sorry.

OK, thanks Mark. I'll start off with just the 120 grit belts then. They don't have any others in stock.

Where do you guys get those leather belts for the 1X30 sanders... and what would you use to put a mirror polish on a knife... or close to a mirror polish.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
July 25, 2013 12:26PM
You could hillbilly make a belt from a loop, that is all that is done with the loops, it is just a strip glued together - however if it breaks and you catch a piece of it in the face you are going to regret that is where you tried to save money.

What are you doing with it? This is the critical part of what belts you need.
July 25, 2013 12:31PM
CliffStamp
What are you doing with it? This is the critical part of what belts you need.

I'm going to start with trying to regrind several different knives I have. I'd also like to see if I can't do a better job sharpening with the belt sander as opposed to my freehand work.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
me2
July 25, 2013 01:01PM
I can no longer recommend sharpening knives on a 1x30. It works, and they get screaming sharp, but at least on simple steels like 1095 and 1055 it can soften the edge I think. I had good results on M2, but thats a whole different animal. It's also questionable on simpler stainless. That is why I started regrinding my machetes, so the could be sharpened on hand stones in reasonable time.
July 25, 2013 02:18PM
If you cannot find any local supplier here are two that I have had good luck with.

Supergrit has a decent selection of 1x30 belts for a reasonable price. The customer service is also good.
[www.supergrit.com]

Tru-Grit also has a decent selection and prices.

[www.trugrit.com]
July 25, 2013 02:58PM
me2
I can no longer recommend sharpening knives on a 1x30. It works, and they get screaming sharp, but at least on simple steels like 1095 and 1055 it can soften the edge I think. I had good results on M2, but thats a whole different animal. It's also questionable on simpler stainless. That is why I started regrinding my machetes, so the could be sharpened on hand stones in reasonable time.

I've read your postings on this in the past me2, and I do believe you, however...

I'm going to see how thin I can go with various steels, check the edge, and if necessary regrind again and then hand sharpen. Despite Cliff's, and everyone else here, offering advice on sharpening (yes I know I must be zen like Yoda) I'm still not having as much success with it as I'd like. I want to give this a try and see how it goes.

I have several simple steels I will try, and I also have a lot of Aus8 blades I will try first.

mccullen
If you cannot find any local supplier here are two that I have had good luck with.

Supergrit has a decent selection of 1x30 belts for a reasonable price. The customer service is also good.
[www.supergrit.com]

Tru-Grit also has a decent selection and prices.

[www.trugrit.com]

Thanks! I'll check out both sites. I love the name... Trugrit grinning smiley

Chumgeyser on Youtube
July 25, 2013 03:16PM
Well I'm off to harbor freight!
July 25, 2013 03:17PM
Chum,

If you are working on simple steels you can do ok with simple belts but you need low grit ones. If you are going to work on any high carbide steels you want better belts to both save you time, money and damage to your knives. I use Norton Blaze, 36 grit for any shaping which isn't on machete class blades. It is literally a many to one difference. Keep the belts clean, use that rubber stick often.
July 25, 2013 03:40PM
I thought 120 grit was a low grit... no?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
July 25, 2013 03:45PM
36 grit is low. 120 is almost finishing.
July 25, 2013 04:39PM
Mark a
36 grit is low. 120 is almost finishing.

Thanks again Mark thumbs up

Chumgeyser on Youtube
me2
July 25, 2013 07:11PM
I did it for a long time, and had what I thought were great results. Then I tried the reground Barong machete, and the edge had some damage after wood chopping, a couple of 2x4's. I resharpened by hand, and the damage went away. Same story on my Old Hickory knife. Again, these are very simple steels with low resistance to temperature. It took a long time to realize what it was. Now, for a $7 machete and $6 butcher knife, it still may be worth it for removing damage and resharpening. I use the Barong hard, and it sharpens in 5-6 scrubbing passes on each side on my coarse water stone. For good cutting, it's worth the difference to hand sharpen. During weeding season, it's not worth the time for the hand sharpening.
July 25, 2013 08:19PM
To polish, you will want to do it by hand, increasing only in grit when the scratches are removed.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 08:24PM by noneck180.
July 26, 2013 11:19AM
I ended up with a 1x30, a few 80 grit belts, the 120 grit belts that come with the grinder and a belt cleaner. Thanks for the help guys smileys with beer

Chumgeyser on Youtube
July 26, 2013 11:25AM
Chum
I ended up with a 1x30, a few 80 grit belts, the 120 grit belts that come with the grinder and a belt cleaner. Thanks for the help guys smileys with beer

Chum don't forget eye protection and respirator.
July 26, 2013 11:42AM
Price_is_Right
Chum

Chum don't forget eye protection and respirator.

Check and check. I bought a respirator, a face shield (already have several pairs of saftey glasses) and a box of nitrile gloves.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
July 26, 2013 11:52AM
For anyone else looking to pic one up...if you sign up for their emails, they give out 20% off coupons like candy. I got the 1x30 for the sale price minus an additional 20%.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
July 26, 2013 11:53AM
Cashmore
For anyone else looking to pic one up...if you sign up for their emails, they give out 20% off coupons like candy. I got the 1x30 for the sale price minus an additional 20%.

I got one of those 20% coupons also, but you needed to spend $100.00 to use it.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
July 26, 2013 12:24PM
I haven't paid close attention to the coupons lately as I haven't needed anything, but I guess they must vary the offer. I didn't realize that. Thank you for clarifying Chum.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

July 26, 2013 03:25PM
Ironically, I just went and got my mail and I got a flyer from HF with a 25% coupon for any item of my choosing.

I don't know how I started getting the flyers. I assume from buying from them.

July 27, 2013 07:14AM
Chum, do you also happen to have calipers, as well? So, you could measure behind the edge before and after.
July 27, 2013 08:53AM
Price_is_Right
Chum, do you also happen to have calipers, as well? So, you could measure behind the edge before and after.

Crap! Not yet, but that will be the next thing I purchase. Thanks Price.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
November 20, 2013 05:37PM
After doing some grinding with the Harbor Freight 1x30...
- It works well enough, but I already want a bigger grinder.
- Those belt cleaners really are great.
- L6 throws a metric shitton of sparks.

Question.... So is it bad to dunk the steel in water as I'm grinding? I've got a lot of animals in the area and I'd prefer not to use coolant if possible, as I could see one getting at if I miss it on the cleanup.

Question... if I do burn the metal should I just grind the burnt part off? I know that sounds a little silly, but if I grind off the burnt metal slowly it makes sense in my head spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Chumgeyser on Youtube
November 20, 2013 06:12PM
How bad did you burn it?
November 20, 2013 06:16PM
Mark a
How bad did you burn it?

Enough that I could see some brownish discoloration in the metal.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
November 20, 2013 06:27PM
I think you are right, just grind off the damaged metal slowly. And keep it cool. This is what cliff always talks about when he is running a stock test and says he is waiting to see if it levels out as he sharpens out the damaged metal away.

Good luck chum.
November 20, 2013 06:38PM
The problem with dunking in water is doing it while the steel is very hot, simply let it air cool to the point you can touch it.
November 20, 2013 06:56PM
CliffStamp
The problem with dunking in water is doing it while the steel is very hot, simply let it air cool to the point you can touch it.

Maybe I'm not perceiving this correctly, but I have yet to make the steel too hot to touch, even when it has been burned. I've only burned the edges.

Does dunking it in water before I grind helpful or not?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login