Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

List of makers who participate here?

Posted by Steel_Drake 
List of makers who participate here?
April 14, 2015 06:07PM
It occurred to me today that there are several participants on this forum who are apparently knife makers of one sort or another that don't make it apparent whether they have a website for their wares, so I thought I'd start a threat for knife makers to list their information for potentially interested parties.

The ones I already know of here are:

Joe Calton - Calton Cutlery

Jeremy McCullen - McCullen Knives

Kyle Harris - cKc Knives

Kyle Bettleyon - KWB Blades

How about the rest of you?
Re: List of makers who participate here?
April 14, 2015 06:33PM
William Nease - unsubtleblades.com

??? (I feel bad I can't think of his real name right now) - razorsharpedges.com

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
April 14, 2015 06:38PM
Old sailor Knives?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
April 14, 2015 11:56PM
Bugout Bill
Old sailor Knives?
That would be Scott Livesey, but I don't know if he has a website already...

And there's Alexander Noot, probably the newest here, and based in Europe.
[www.lxblades.com]
And I think marthinus is another European maker, but I don't know his real identity.

And there's Stuart Ackerman too.
[ackermancustomknives.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 12:07AM by Bogdan M..
April 15, 2015 06:11AM
All the ones I know on here has been mentioned.

Bogdan M.
And I think marthinus is another European maker, but I don't know his real identity.

Thanks for the mention, I am South African but only make knives part time as my job requires me to travel a lot, not to mention personal responsibilities.
April 15, 2015 06:43AM
Ooops, sorry, I must have inferred that wrongly from the fact that you were using "european flavor steels" like RWL34 smiling smiley...
April 15, 2015 07:13AM
Bogdan M.
Ooops, sorry, I must have inferred that wrongly from the fact that you were using "european flavor steels" like RWL34 smiling smiley...

It all comes down to availability and cost. Our import duties etc charges more for anything from the US than from European countries. Same with importing knives. Tax is 25% on certain knives from the US while having 0% tax for the same knife from a European country. International trade agreements etc play a role.

Sandvik, Bohler have large R&D and plants in SA (due to their focus on mining industry) and while Damasteel does not have a plant it is easier to obtain sheet metal from them compared to importing from the US to my understanding. Hence so many here use N690, 12C27, 14C28N, RWL-34, Damasteel and M390.

Quite a few makers bring steel with them when they do a show in the US, but for many the importing tax etc is not worth the cost if you can find quality steel locally.
KWB
April 15, 2015 12:50PM
I beileve it is razoredgeknives- Josh.

Contact 570-486-9095
April 16, 2015 07:05AM
james helm helmforge.com

doesn't gavko still post on here once in awhile?
April 21, 2015 03:37AM
Bugout Bill
Old sailor Knives?

hi, that would be me, Scott Livesey. Old Sailor's Knives, mostly kitchen stuff, mostly thin O1(1/32" to 3/32"winking smiley at high hardness(Rc62-65). i am in the process of listing all knives in inventory on my Etsy store. will post a link when done.
as an aside, have any US makers found sources for high carbon steel other than Ebay or NifeMakersRus?
scott
April 21, 2015 04:54AM
Scott, I have had really good luck {consistent from batch to batch and good clean steel} with either Jantz [www.knifemaking.com] or McMaster carr [www.mcmaster.com]#
cKc
May 04, 2015 11:46PM
Scott, I have heard these guys are good to deal with

[newjerseysteelbaron.com]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
June 15, 2016 04:20PM
I am a maker- AKGrinders is the name. I build a range of blades from high performance cutters to burly choppers. No website specifically for my knives, but I occasionally post pics at Kenai Knife Shop dot com.

My go to steels are CPM154CM and A2. Typically I lean toward lighter weight knives with thinner grinds, but at times go thicker for specific reasons. Thinnest blade to date was an A2 utility blade .007" behind the edge, thickest was a 5160 camp knife .040" behind the edge.

Link to a couple pics...
June 15, 2016 08:18PM
KWB
Thanks kyle, but I only mod knives, don't make them (yet) smiling smiley
July 28, 2016 06:35AM
Bogdan M.
Bugout Bill
Old sailor Knives?
That would be Scott Livesey, but I don't know if he has a website already...

And there's Alexander Noot, probably the newest here, and based in Europe.
[www.lxblades.com]

And there's Stuart Ackerman too.
[ackermancustomknives.com]

Thanks for the mention. I do try to chime in every now and then.
September 17, 2016 08:29PM
razoredgeknives
KWB
Thanks kyle, but I only mod knives, don't make them (yet) smiling smiley

I consider this knife making, anything you can do to a knife either makes or breaks it in terms of function/aesthetics. You don't appear to be breaking knives from what I've seen… smileys with beer
December 16, 2016 10:47AM
Please add me to the list.

I pop in occasionally but most stuff on here goes over my head eye rolling smiley The Forum titles make as much sense as Mornington Crescent!

I only make knives part time and intermittently, so no website, but I do have a forum on Edge Matters

Folders are my favourite but I like to make some fixed blades occasionally for a change. I would make more fixed blades but I don't get on with working leather.

Based in UK
December 17, 2016 10:13AM
Hi Mike, thanks for dropping in!

The Spyderco PITS collab is one fine looking design. I'm a little predisposed against metal scales on my blades, but if I can catch one at a good price it may be the exception.

Cheers,

-Nate
December 17, 2016 01:17PM
Mike Read
The Forum titles make as much sense as Mornington Crescent!

lol... welcome aboard smileys with beer

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login