Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Source for Niolox

Posted by KWB 
KWB
Source for Niolox
December 08, 2015 11:51PM
After many many knives of aeb-l I have grown to love it but sometimes I wish it had just a hint more wear resistance. A buddy had told me about Niolox. But I cant seem to find a source to get it from.

There is also the chance I am full of it. It has happened before so if you think this just say so.

Contact 570-486-9095
Re: Source for Niolox
December 09, 2015 06:31AM
Kyle,
Alexander Noot uses it also, I think he has a supplier in Europe.

---------------------------------------------------------
Stone Sharp Edges
[www.youtube.com] [www.facebook.com] [www.instagram.com]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
December 09, 2015 09:32AM
KWB
After many many knives of aeb-l I have grown to love it but sometimes I wish it had just a hint more wear resistance. A buddy had told me about Niolox. But I cant seem to find a source to get it from.

hi, i think is what you are looking for [www.itoolsteel.com]
never dealt with these folks, have no idea if there is a minimum order or what.
scott
KWB
December 09, 2015 07:57PM
I seen that, I was hoping there was a dealer that sells it. If that all I got maybe ill just have to try them.

Contact 570-486-9095
KWB
December 09, 2015 07:58PM
Importing from Europe isnt really my idea of a good time, but if worse comes to worse and I see niolox a great benefit......

Contact 570-486-9095
December 10, 2015 12:15AM
KWB

I would sure be interested in whatever you find out about the availability of Niolox. thicknesses, where to buy, how it works, etc.
KWB
December 10, 2015 01:14AM
I am gonna try the place Scott linked, I am still debating wether it is worth it or not. Steels dont play that big of a role in knives from a performance perspective by in large, to jump through hoops to get it just to see if its works slightly better and pay which I am sure is substantially more than aeb-l idk. But I am going to look into none the less. I still want to try nitrobe 77 as well, the forum was going to have a forum knife but that sort of fell through in thread drift.

I like trying different steels when its easy as picking up the phone and loading up the shopping cart like you are the grocery store. I use the variety that I do because I out source ht, I have more freedom to scope different tasks of work for the knife and it broadens my market appeal.

Contact 570-486-9095
December 10, 2015 07:12AM
Kyle-
I hear you about overseas shipping, it can be a hassle, just the time factor if nothing else, nevermind Customs, and I still haven't figured out the VAP thing.
A forum knife in Nitrobe 77 would be a dream!

Stone Sharp Edges

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
KWB
December 10, 2015 10:10PM
What sparked my interest was Cliff speaking about niobium carbides.

Contact 570-486-9095
December 11, 2015 07:35AM
Kyle-
What attracted me to is was a discussion I had with AJ Noot about the steel, as his was using it in some of his knives, one which caught my eye.

Stone Sharp Edges

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
KWB
December 19, 2015 01:54AM
what is his experience with it?

Contact 570-486-9095
December 19, 2015 06:55PM
He likes it, and he said he gets a good price on it, so I guess it's a win-win.

Stone Sharp Edges

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
KWB
December 19, 2015 08:07PM
Is he from the US?

Contact 570-486-9095
December 19, 2015 09:55PM
Belgium/Netherlands, I get the two mixed up.

Stone Sharp Edges

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
July 28, 2016 06:47AM
So sorry for completely missing this discussion. I've not been as active on the forum as I'd have liked.

Niolox, pretty good stuff. Just a good allrounder. Very stain resistant. Quite tough decent to good edge holding. Pretty fine grain and the carbides in it are fairly small if I understand correctly wich corresponds to it's toughness.

Cost/performance wise it's currently the best stainless option for me.

I buy it off Achim Wirtz (Germany) who is one of the developers of the steel.

The steel was engineerd for the food industry for industrial knives in machines. It does benefit from Cryo treatment which I always ask for with my heat treater (I only heat treat my own carbon steels) and he attains a hardness of around 60-61 rockwell on the knives I send him.

I've made everything from big slicey things to tiny pocketsized things from it. Carried a knife in it every day for a full year which performed very well.

After the year I had Ankerson test the edge holding (because he'd never played with it either) and it performed about the same as Benchmade M390. Offcourse my edge was many times thinner to begin with.

If you have any other questions or would like to try a piece you can contact me at lxemergency@gmail.com or just respond here. I'm trying to keep a better eye on the forum.
KWB
July 29, 2016 07:23AM
Thank you I will keep that in mind.

Contact 570-486-9095
July 30, 2016 12:56AM
It looks like neat stuff! Lion Steel uses it in some knives, dont remember the hardness, but not in their biggest blades. I was interested in playing with it, but like everyone else, not enough to ship across the pond.
July 30, 2016 06:13AM
try here [www.schmiedeglut.de]. i bought 1.2519 from these folks, good customer service.

scott
[www.etsy.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login