Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Surface Grinding Elmax

Posted by Mike Read 
Surface Grinding Elmax
January 05, 2016 03:26AM
I am about to order some Elmax to make some 3.5mm blades.

The black sheet comes from the factory at 3.78mm

Can anyone give me an idea how much I will need to grind off to get a clean finish?

The next size up is 4.56 mm which is a lot of material to remove so I would like to know if I can get away with the 3.78.

All advice appreciated

Mike
Re: Surface Grinding Elmax
January 05, 2016 03:42AM
Depends on where you are getting it. Some places I have gotten hot rolled and it takes almost no grinding to have it flat, other places have .3mm dents all along it even after taking the scale off with grinding.
January 05, 2016 07:19AM
Thanks Terry

Problem is now solved.

I have found a tool shop who can do all the blades in one hit, so using the 4.5mm stock is not a big problem. Better safe than sorry.
cKc
February 17, 2016 02:50AM
Elmax is all hot rolled in one factory. I used the 3.78mm stock extensively. it was normally flat enough that I left the dimpling on the steel because I liked the effect. but cleaning it down would be anywhere in the 3.4 - 3.5mm range.

I got a machine shop to try and flatten down a sheet to 3mm. it was a bad idea.. their machinery couldn't handle it, cost a fortune, and nearly ruined the entire sheet. Worked out for small parts its better to clean off individual pieces post HT to take out any warpage that might have occured..

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login