Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need for belt grinder speed

Posted by oldsailorsknives 
Need for belt grinder speed
January 12, 2016 08:41PM
made the latest modification to my LB1000 belt grinder. it now has a 3"drive wheel driven by a 1hp 850rpm Leeson 3 phase motor. belt speed at 60hz is about 650fpm. next step is a built in coolant sprayer.
scott
Re: Need for belt grinder speed
January 13, 2016 03:38PM
I been thinking about what to rig up. I personally think the aqua mist will use too much air for my setup so I plan on rigging a chemical pump style sprayer with a air line from the comressor and a regultor set for like 10-20psi
January 14, 2016 03:30AM
oldsailorsknives
made the latest modification to my LB1000 belt grinder. it now has a 3"drive wheel driven by a 1hp 850rpm Leeson 3 phase motor. belt speed at 60hz is about 650fpm. next step is a built in coolant sprayer.
scott

Wilmont grinders are outstanding! I have the TAG and it's a beast. If you can afford a vfd at some point, get it. I am running about 140 fps on the slowest setting, and am using mist units for coolant. It's really nice if you have an edge that's .005-.010" thick and you need to sharpen... the speed doesn't destroy the nice thin edge you just created by removing too much metal.
January 14, 2016 05:43AM
Wow 140fps... I like it!

What is a good mini mist system? I have a thin tube that drips on the belt... sometimes works well, very fiddly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 08:29AM by wnease.
January 14, 2016 03:12PM
forgot to post that motor is driven by a Leeson Speedmaster Inverter/VFD. at low speed, 15hz, belt speed should be about 150fpm. i was thinking of a basic gravity fed drip system. I have also been testing mineral oil as a belt coolant, at belt speeds this low, the oil stays on the belt not flung in my face.
scott
January 15, 2016 06:22AM
My drip system sometimes wets only part of the belt. I also have a sponge wiper that spreads the water but not always.

Changing belts tends to throw off the whole set-up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login