Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Forged in Fire (Show at History Channel)

Posted by SVallieres 
Forged in Fire (Show at History Channel)
April 18, 2016 03:05AM
Hello guys,

I guess many of you are aware of this show at History Channel. For my part, I wasn't aware of it until recently as I have only the french version of History Channel and they have now been airing the first season in french for a couple of weeks only.

I don't understand how they can produce a functional blade in three hours (yes 3 hours!) as only a basic hardening heat treatment (quench + 2x2h temper cycles) is longer than 3 hours. Also, don't these blades require an additional heat treatment (before the hardening HT) to correct the defects induce by the forging process (which makes the whole process even longer)? Moreover, when they are grinding, the huge shower of sparks we can see tell me that they are probably over heating the steel quite a lot...

I understand that time constraints is part of the challenge, but since the goal is to produce a functional blade, I think 3 hours is ridiculous as not only a quality blade cannot be made in that time but it let the general public (non-knife people) believe it can be.

What do you think?
Re: Forged in Fire (Show at History Channel)
April 18, 2016 04:40AM
I know in the last one I watched (the one with Burt Foster, who's work I love), after the first round they mentioned they would then be tempering their blades before proceeding to the second round.

And I do believe that is what they've been doing. They're is a couple of threads over on bladeforums where participants are fairly active and answer questions.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
April 19, 2016 12:12PM
SVallieres
Hello guys,

I guess many of you are aware of this show at History Channel. For my part, I wasn't aware of it until recently as I have only the french version of History Channel and they have now been airing the first season in french for a couple of weeks only.

I don't understand how they can produce a functional blade in three hours (yes 3 hours!) as only a basic hardening heat treatment (quench + 2x2h temper cycles) is longer than 3 hours. Also, don't these blades require an additional heat treatment (before the hardening HT) to correct the defects induce by the forging process (which makes the whole process even longer)? Moreover, when they are grinding, the huge shower of sparks we can see tell me that they are probably over heating the steel quite a lot...

I understand that time constraints is part of the challenge, but since the goal is to produce a functional blade, I think 3 hours is ridiculous as not only a quality blade cannot be made in that time but it let the general public (non-knife people) believe it can be.

What do you think?

as far as time, 3 hours would be more than enough time if using basic high carbon steels. I have used 1084, 80CrV2, and O1 and find that 2 1hour tempers is plenty. I even a test for R. Landes where I tempered the 80CrV2 for 2 15minute tempers, could see no difference between those blades and ones tempered twice for 1 hour or blades tempered twice for 2 hours. the hokiness of the show is not the time, but the material. I mean, yes you can make a blade from 5 1"ball bearings but duhhhhh!!! why. why not give each contestant a hunk of 1/4" Cru-Forge V and see what they can do. i guess the next "Thing" will be competitive knitting? I can see it now, each contestant gets a sheep, a pair of shears, a spinning wheel and two knitting needles, make a scarf in 3 hours.
scott
April 20, 2016 08:24PM
oldsailorsknives
as far as time, 3 hours would be more than enough time if using basic high carbon steels. I have used 1084, 80CrV2, and O1 and find that 2 1hour tempers is plenty. I even a test for R. Landes where I tempered the 80CrV2 for 2 15minute tempers, could see no difference between those blades and ones tempered twice for 1 hour or blades tempered twice for 2 hours.

I didn't know that tempering times could be that short, even on simple steels. I thought that 2x2h was a minimum.

Thanks for your input.

Have a nice day!
June 20, 2016 09:45PM
My buddy Tobin Nieto won the cutlass episode. The blades for the first challenge are tempered by J. Nielson after the 3 hours for shaping and hardening, and they have mentioned that while filming each episode, but most of the time that gets hacked out by the editors so they can focus more on blades getting dropped on the floor while forging and similar drama.

Don't assume that what they are showing during the countdown of the final 10 seconds is actually what happened during those 10 seconds either. It's television. grinning smiley
February 20, 2017 03:20PM
I have just watched the first three episodes of season 1:

[www.history.com]

I have some issues with how the show is done.....how can you make a blade in such a short time, to pass tests that you have no idea what they are, sometimes using salvaged materials, that can fail? It doesn't seem like it gives the bladesmiths any time to show their true craftsmanship until the final round, when theres only two guys left. Nevermind it completely eliminated the stock removal guys. Plus, there has been some safety concerns on the new set with the back to back forges and people almost passing out due to heat...it seems they are more interested in reality TV drama then anything else. Also, in the first season, instead on a knife being a tool, they prefer to call it a 'weapon', and demonstrate how lethal it is by the hands of, all respect due to the awesome (I am not kidding, this guy has skills...look him up) Doug Marcaida. I am all for knives being used to defend yourself, if heaven forbid you ever have to, but how many bladesmiths are making their knives as killing tools? Just my take on things...maybe the later seasons are better.

---------------------------------------------------------
Stone Sharp Edges
[www.youtube.com] [www.facebook.com] [www.instagram.com]
February 20, 2017 07:17PM
jasonstone20
Also, in the first season, instead on a knife being a tool, they prefer to call it a 'weapon', ...

I don't like that either. It makes non-knife people think that knife people are violent or consider knives as weapons only. They continue to call the knives weapons in the 2nd and 3rd season.

Overall I like the show, I learn about forging and swords and it's entertaining.
February 21, 2017 03:34PM
A timely post Jason. My mom happened to watch the most recent episode of the Forged in Fire and called to tell me how much I would like it.

While I have several issues with the show, I still enjoy it.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
February 26, 2017 12:24PM
I was thinking...I might like the show more if the did their format in reverse.....gave the 4 guys a week to produce a knife, then gave them two 3-hour chunks to make a knife for the 2 guys left

Stone Sharp Edges
February 26, 2017 12:47PM
Also, if you have a chance to choose between commercials, the 30sec interactive is way faster than the 3 min block, so I'd pick that one.

Stone Sharp Edges
February 26, 2017 01:21PM
I can't watch this show....I ended up skipping to the end on the last two episodes I watched (4 & 5) and this show still grates my nerves....

Stone Sharp Edges
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login