Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Second Batch of Model 1 (Framelock Sodbusters) WIP and final product

Posted by marthinus 
Second Batch of Model 1 (Framelock Sodbusters) WIP and final product
May 09, 2016 02:04AM
Here is a quick and dirty WIP. This process takes months for me to complete. So these pictures cover around 5 months of part time work. Hope you enjoy.

As always, it starts with importing some Ti from our good friend American Metals Exchange and other things I might want to experiment with from USA Knifemaker. PSA discs were imported from Tru-Grit.

Next up was to buy my own grinder and mill. I previously worked on Andre Thorburns equipment but thanks to the support of the knife community I have slowly but surely been able to buy my own equipment.

Grinder and disc grinder from HERBST in South Africa

This was my simple setup with 3-Phase inverter. I will have to get a steel box for the inverter. I was shocked at the amount of dust in the garage, not only from grinding, but from the vehicles that drive past the flat.

Then some steel supply.

After all supplies have been bought I send the sheets to be cut via waterjet. This and heat treatment is the only part I do not do myself.

After everything has been waterjet I use a template to drill and mark the position of the hidden stop pin. This took some trial and error but the results were spot on. Before applying the template I hit everything on the disc to clean up the parts.

Then hand file to fit the blade in the open and closed position and also tap everything that needs to be tapped.

Pre-Heat treatment raceways.

Jimping on flipper

Blades and backspacer is off to heat treatment and then surface grinding. Then back onto the lathe for cleanup and final cut of raceways.

I then do the hidden over travel stop pin and do the fitting and tapping for the screw.

One thing that surprised me was the amount of trial and error on building jigs for the mill. Here is one experiment in process in order to cut the lock relief.

Grinding:

Then cleaning up all the nooks and crannies.

Fitting backspacer and cleaning the frames

Cleaning and polishing the hidden over travel pin. You can see the difference between one off the lathe compared to one that is being cleaned in the below picture.

Start contouring the handles

I experimented with the contouring using a slack belt, but will continue to experiment in future.

Clips getting cleaned up, fitted and tapped on the handle

I actually had a jog climb out of the vice on me. Scary thing at 2200 pm. Turned out the screws on the vice came lose over time. :eeek: LOCKTITE those screws in place. :toxdance:

Then assemble, detent balls and fit locks.

Satin blade, mirror flats, satin backspacer and jeweling of the frames.

Then logo time.

I do a chemical etch process. First image shows the negative and the second image the results.

Bead blasting, I have a cheap blaster, but it does the job. The compressor is just way too small so one depletes the compressed air quickly.

Finally as part of the final assembly I contour all the screws and polish them.

Here are the results:

Video can be seen here:

video: [www.youtube.com]

There are a few things left out in the post such as countersinking the pivot head, deburring every hole after being drilled etc.

Thanks for watching
me2
Re: Second Batch of Model 1 (Framelock Sodbusters) WIP and final product
May 09, 2016 04:14AM
How did I miss these before? That Wharncliffe is killing me.
May 09, 2016 05:00AM
Very nice
May 09, 2016 06:40AM
me2
How did I miss these before? That Wharncliffe is killing me.

Thanks.

With this batch completed I have only completed 13 knives in 2 years about. So it takes me some time to complete them. The wharncliff is a prototype but it seems people really like it. All my designs are based on old slipjoints, that might be the thing smiling smiley

mccullen
Very nice

Thank you.
May 09, 2016 06:43AM
Awesome work! Excellent write up! I am going to watch the YouTube ASAP.

---------------------------------------------------------
Stone Sharp Edges
[www.youtube.com] [www.facebook.com] [www.instagram.com]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage.

-Cliff"

"Roman Landes said:
Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"

Sal Glesser -
".But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "designing in the dark"...

sal"
May 09, 2016 07:01AM
Always love seeing the photos you post of your work on Instagram Marthinus. Really nice stuff.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
May 09, 2016 07:56AM
Nice job on those

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
May 09, 2016 07:59PM
Very nice.
May 10, 2016 01:14AM
Thank you all for the kind words. Making knives have been fun, through all the work obligations, and is an ever learning experience. Though I do wish we had far more steels to pick from locally. I am currently using N690 and it has been a good performer in my use. RWL-34 is the next one with 14C28N I would love to work with.
May 15, 2016 03:25AM
great thread and pics

I've always liked ffg sodbusters and yours are no exception... I like your wharnclife too
May 27, 2016 03:53AM
wnease
great thread and pics

I've always liked ffg sodbusters and yours are no exception... I like your wharnclife too

Thank you for the kind words and glad you enjoyed. Just to clarify, these are hollow grinds.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login