KWB
Wood stabilizing
July 26, 2016 07:32PM
Any one know where the stabilize wood? I have a couple nice logs I would like stabilized for different projects.

Contact 570-486-9095
Re: Wood stabilizing
July 26, 2016 07:35PM
Jeremy McCullen would be your man.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
July 27, 2016 03:51AM
K&G and WSSI are the two big names in the industry.

I don't think they can do entire logs though: [www.bladeforums.com]

Alternatively you can make a setup like Jeremy has or Sandy from Jacklore. Both have videos on it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
July 27, 2016 04:06AM
What are the logs and why do you need them stabilized?

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
July 27, 2016 11:10AM
try these folks [rrpwhite.com]. prices sound reasonable, $10 to $13 a pound and they will do an 8oz sample for $10.
KWB
July 27, 2016 08:05PM
Spoke with Brad at K and G today I think I will using them.

Just thought instead of burning nice wood I could use it or sell it.

Contact 570-486-9095
KWB
July 27, 2016 09:45PM
One question I have is what part of the tree should I look to get curls, figure , burls from? Most say the roots system truck area?

Contact 570-486-9095
July 28, 2016 03:59AM
Kyle if a tree has a burl you will see it it is like it has a giant wart. And as far as figure goes, either the tree has it or it doesn't. Some experienced fellers/ Sawyers can tell from the bark, in my experience that is very hard to do. When you are splitting the wood if the split face has lots of small waves then you have "curly" figure and it may be worth sawing some boards.
Then you will need to properly dry the wood, also quite a bit harder than you might first guess. You can air dry it and that is easy but it takes patience as a general rule it takes 1 year per inch of thickness. Or you can kiln dry it and that takes some knowledge as if you dry it out too fast it can case harden leaving the wood full of internal cracks and basically leaving it useless.
Yes you should definitely presue this but it will take some research one reference I can give you is a book called "understanding wood " Tha authors last name is Hoadley or Hadley I can't remember.
Again I ask why do you need the wood stabilized? The word that needs stabilizing is usually punky almost rotten wood. Most wood figured or not just needs to be dry and have some type of finish to be stable. Think of all the rifle stocks you have seen over the years I bet you have seen some that are well over 100 years old and they have held up fine. Even knife handles,as long as they are oiled once in a while what is going to happen to them? The most important thing is that they are dry to begin with.

KWB
July 28, 2016 04:37AM
Thanks for the info Mark, I figure I should mention that most if not all of our wood is free based from tree removal guys in our area needing somewhere to go with it. Pretty sweet deal actually all we have to do is split and stack it as most is already pre cut so that they can pick it up.

As well as stump removal for people that we sometimes do just seems well worth it to do it, have the machinery to move the wood, get paid to remove the trees, free heat from it. Why not try and make something of the better stuff.

Also find something really intrinsic seeing/making something from its basic form into something different. And to know where it all came from.

I wanted stabilizing for dying purposes as well.

Contact 570-486-9095
July 28, 2016 09:06AM
Kyle, stabilizers won't touch wood with more than 10% moisture content, so your wood has to be very dry before it can be stabilized.. I find most of my interesting wood when splitting. If you see interesting figure, put the piece aside. another place is when the trunk divides or large branches attach, you should find crotch figuring there. Maple gets attacked by the ambrosia moth which leads to very interesting figure. when you find interesting stuff, cut it 50% thicker then finished, treat the ends with wax or commercial sealant then let it sit.
KWB
July 28, 2016 11:14AM
That what I figured.

I have a tree at my house in the woods that has burls all up the trunk I am wondering if that will yield some nice wood. Have another oak about 4 ft across but I dont think I want to cut that one just for wood prolly one of the oldest trees we have.

Contact 570-486-9095
July 28, 2016 03:45PM
Post a picture of the burls with a banana for scale and I can tell you if it is worth cutting them down

KWB
July 28, 2016 07:10PM
Aight will do.

Contact 570-486-9095
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login