Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CTS-B70P

Posted by Nate T 
CTS-B70P
September 18, 2016 06:09AM
I was just reading a bit about Niolox and the niobium content made me wonder if anyone here has looked at B70P? (PM version of CRB-7.)

I have one of the Spyderco Mules in it and my impressions are favorable, but that doesn't say much. I'm happy enough with the grind, ease of sharpening, and edge holding that I've thought about picking up a 2nd one while they're still available though.

I wondered if it might be expected to perform similarly or be a domestic alternative to Niolox at all?

Composition reference:

(Given my near total lack of actual knowledge about metallurgy, I know I shouldn't try to glean any insight from these zknives charts, but I look at them anyway.)

Cliff previously had this to say on the Spyderco forum:

"I think it is a very interesting steel as what you have is something very similar to 19C27/MBS-26 with a small amount of MC carbides (~1%). There are lots of very high MC carbide steels with 4-10% MC carbide volume but not a lot of quality knives in the middle ground. Now I like AEB-L and similar steels, but there are times when you don't want fine / high sharpness edge retention but jumping from AEB-L to S35VN is a huge step, and moves steels away from being sharpened on traditional/natural abrasives for example. It would be nice to see this with a 1100 C soak, oil quench, extend to low temperature, multiple low tempers 350-400 F."
Source

I've noticed there seems to be appetite on the Spyderco forum lately for more moderate steels, but the B70P mule was basically ignored. I don't think any of the tester types reviewed it, for better or worse. I tend to think it might be sort of a missed opportunity for folks who claim to be looking for a "balanced" steel.

-Nate
Re: CTS-B70P
September 18, 2016 07:41AM
It does look similar to Niolox.

---------------------------------------------------------
Stone Sharp Edges
[www.youtube.com] [www.facebook.com] [www.instagram.com]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage.

-Cliff"

"Roman Landes said:
Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"

Sal Glesser -
".But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "designing in the dark"...

sal"
October 27, 2016 07:24AM
Very similar. Basically everything scaled up a notch except for the Nb.

Could be interesting. Niolox is easy to obtain for me however. Much easier than any of the Carpenter steels. So I'll stick with that for now.
March 26, 2017 04:52AM
I dont think it is so similar.. 0,3% carbon difference, bit less chromium
and twice as little moly will make sb1 tougher and more fine grained
with almost 3x more Nb.

0,3% carbon is difference between 13C26 and 19C27.

However it will have a higher impact on carbide forming in a bit more alloyed steel
as CTS-B70P

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
March 26, 2017 09:40AM
JSCT,
Good point.

---------------------------------------------------------
Stone Sharp Edges
[www.youtube.com] [www.facebook.com] [www.instagram.com]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage.

-Cliff"

"Roman Landes said:
Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"

Sal Glesser -
".But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "designing in the dark"...

sal"
April 07, 2017 02:52PM
pic

Roughly ground niolox by P40 ceramic belt, stressed surface by a bit of pressure (only tang part)
and left wet on the table (always grind wet).. aproximately 24hours later found pitting quite deep.
It reminds me of D2 corrosion behaviour. Aust. temp. was 1065C so for kitchen use
I will definitely take it higher next time.. Apart from the tang part, there were no pits
on the rest of the blade only slight orange discoloration - almost invisible.

I can say AEB-L and RWL-34 have better corrosion resistance (after 1065C austenitization + low temper)

BD70P might be more resistant to pitting with more moly in it,
however general corrosion resistance wont be much better and still worse
than ATS-34 type of chemistry.

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login