Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about RostFrei

Posted by les_garten 
Question about RostFrei
September 20, 2016 12:27AM
I've got some Tojiro DP kitchen knives supposedly made of VG-10.

I've got quite a few other Spydercos made from VG-10, as well as Falkniven

I thought this stuff was pretty rust resistant, at least my Spydercos are.

But the Tojiro DP kitchen knives rust pretty quickly. Small water spots become rust spots.

I have to get on my wife about this. I don't have a quantification about the speed yet, but I'm thinking of doing some tests and possibly some time lapse photos.

So my question is, do different heat treats make a knife more or less vulnerable to stains or rust?

I'm questioning now whether the Tojiro DP is really VG-10.

================================================
<<Les Garten>>

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake
cKc
Re: Question about RostFrei
September 20, 2016 01:30AM
Yes. The way I heat treat elmax definately lowers it's corrosion resistance. It will rust in salt water. The finish if the steel will also have an impact.

Are you sure they are not a vg10 core clad in something else. Most falknivens are clad in a much higher stainresistant metal.

Vg10 should be fairly good though. Really just depends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
September 20, 2016 03:01AM
Do you have a link to somewhere that has that particular model, so we could look at specs and what-not? And yes, heat treatment will most certainly make a large difference on rust resistance.
September 20, 2016 03:08AM
Luisknivacc
Do you have a link to somewhere that has that particular model, so we could look at specs and what-not? And yes, heat treatment will most certainly make a large difference on rust resistance.

Sure, here's the sales page at a well known cutlery dealer

Tojiro DP

Here's the companies websight:

Tojiro DP Company Page

<<Les Garten>>

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake
cKc
September 20, 2016 03:27AM
Ok, so they are clad vg10, soft stainless with vg10 core.. so the next question is.. what part of the knife is rusting? is the the cladding or the vg10 portion.

another thing to be careful of can be contamination where some other particle on the knife that can rust causes a reaction on the blade. I have had this happen when not cleaning a knife properly after sharpening, and the small particles from grinding can oxidize very easily and rust while sitting on the side of a knife.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
September 20, 2016 03:33AM
cKc
Ok, so they are clad vg10, soft stainless with vg10 core.. so the next question is.. what part of the knife is rusting? is the the cladding or the vg10 portion.

another thing to be careful of can be contamination where some other particle on the knife that can rust causes a reaction on the blade. I have had this happen when not cleaning a knife properly after sharpening, and the small particles from grinding can oxidize very easily and rust while sitting on the side of a knife.

We've had quite a few "spots" on the cladding and some on the core.. One right on the edge bevel.

<<Les Garten>>

September 20, 2016 04:41AM
les_garten,
Are you doing the Japanese two towel method for drying? That helps a lot.

---------------------------------------------------------
Stone Sharp Edges
[www.youtube.com] [www.facebook.com] [www.instagram.com]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage.

-Cliff"

"Roman Landes said:
Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"

Sal Glesser -
".But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "designing in the dark"...

sal"
September 20, 2016 07:08AM
Les,

It could be contamination in the grinding. They could be using the same wheels/abrasives on non-stainless steels and you are seeing some transfer. While it isn't difficult to harden most stainless steels and lose corrosion resistance (too low a soak, too high a temper) the fact that the soft stainless is rusting is very odd. Those stainless steels typically have such a high chromium and such a low carbon that they are very corrosion resistant even with minimal effort to harden.

If this is the case, then eventually the corrosion will stop as you have just rusted away the contaminated metal. If it never does, well good on them as they have found a way to make even an extremely corrosion resistant steel somehow rust. Or either that, they chose a really odd clad. In either case, just contact them, you should be able to get it replaced if it is an issue. I doubt they want to argue that is the expected performance.
September 20, 2016 09:29AM
les_garten,
Have you tried cleaning the knife, letting it dry, and then applying a thin coat of mineral oil, letting it soak it for about 10-15min, and then wiping it off?

Stone Sharp Edges

-Cliff"

"Roman Landes said:

Sal Glesser -
".But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "designing in the dark"...

sal"
September 20, 2016 11:47AM
jasonstone20
les_garten,
Have you tried cleaning the knife, letting it dry, and then applying a thin coat of mineral oil, letting it soak it for about 10-15min, and then wiping it off?

Heh, LOL, if it were me using it, there wouldn't be an issue. Except for the factt hat I would be disappointed in the rust resistance.

My problem is my wife is a non compliant knife abuser!

She's Irish-Coonass by ancestry, and damn near impossible to get her to do anything other than the way she thinks it should be done.

If it were me, I would never have known that they rust.

They do rust way too fast in my opinion.

<<Les Garten>>

September 20, 2016 12:02PM
les-garten,
I completely understand. You could always invest in a rust eraser, and some extra-fine #0000 steel wool.

Stone Sharp Edges

-Cliff"

"Roman Landes said:

Sal Glesser -

sal"
September 20, 2016 12:56PM
jasonstone20
les-garten,
I completely understand. You could always invest in a rust eraser, and some extra-fine #0000 steel wool.

I'll look up the rust eraser, that sounds handy

<<Les Garten>>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login