Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

64RC Bastard File VS Hardened Steel

Posted by Nothingman 
64RC Bastard File VS Hardened Steel
March 02, 2017 02:45PM
Just picked up a couple of these files, advertised to be 64 RC and well made by Stella Bianca.

I was hoping to use these for changing geometry of blade grinds or profiles on knives that have already been heat treated. Now I realize files generally are not recommended for hardened steel, but these were advertised to cut hardened steel.

What would be foolish to attempt to grind with these? I would imagine something in the low 50s would work great, but my concern is over anything in the high 50s to low 60s. Thoughts?
Re: 64RC Bastard File VS Hardened Steel
March 02, 2017 05:12PM
All I can say is try it. I haven't had a knife that I could cut with my file I have.

---------------------------------------------------------
Stone Sharp Edges
[www.youtube.com] [www.facebook.com] [www.instagram.com]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
cKc
March 06, 2017 11:08PM
At 64 it shouldn't have trouble cutting 60rc, but I suspect you have to go a lot slower to protect the teeth from damage. Also depends if you are cutting plain carbon steel or something with hard chunky carbides that will wear the file

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
March 07, 2017 05:32PM
I plan on starting with plain carbon, moving up to moderate stainless perhaps. When you say I might have to go slower, how would I gauge working up to a safe speed… just until it starts biting and no more?
cKc
March 08, 2017 06:07AM
You'll just have to find out what feels right for each steel. When you start filing on steel's which chunks of high carbide 70rc mixed in then you don't want to be going like a lunatic. Mostly I think you don't want to go hard and fast on sharp corners, once you are working a bevel it will be more about getting the right pressure to cut.

[data.gearbastion.com]
cKc
March 08, 2017 06:08AM
I should add that personally I've found I prefer to buy ceramic belts and just glue one to a thick piece of wood. Makes an excellent file

[data.gearbastion.com]
March 08, 2017 06:47AM
cKc
I should add that personally I've found I prefer to buy ceramic belts and just glue one to a thick piece of wood. Makes an excellent file

Clever

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
March 08, 2017 08:55AM
Thats a great idea for the belt file, what type do you prefer for the belt make?
March 08, 2017 03:46PM
two other ideas:
Norton 920 or 930 these are 10" x 1 1/4" x 3/4" crystolon stones with a wood handle. here is a link [www.sharpeningsupplies.com] I paid $12 for mine.
JewelStik makes 5" x 3/4" diamond files with handles. 60, 120, and 200 grit [www.jewelstik.com]

scott
[www.etsy.com]
March 08, 2017 04:07PM
Those look nice too, do you know what grit they are?
March 11, 2017 08:05AM
the 920 is Crystolon medium, p180 grit. the 910 is medium without handle.
the 930 is crystolon coarse/fine p120/p320
I have 2 910 and 2 930. seem more friable(easy to make slurry) than regular crystolon bench stone.
cKc
March 15, 2017 03:29AM
Any ceramic belts you can find would work well. i just used the same ones I normally grind with on my knife grinder

[data.gearbastion.com]
March 19, 2017 09:46AM
The Stella Bianca files are super hard with very crisp teeth, but the closer in hardness they are to the hardness of the steel you're working the more they'll wear and the slower they'll cut--it's just nature of files, and abrasion in general. The manufacturer does advertise them as being made with a "special" steel that has carbides (not mentioned what kind) for increased wear resistance, but no other information in that regard is given. Boy howdy do they cut, though! I've used my personal ones for dealing with several axes, some of which are hardened to 58 RC, and it takes little steel curls off them so crisp that they sparkle like glitter and "felt" up with each other in a way that makes it vaguely resemble fine steel wool. Kind of surprised they aren't better known.
March 19, 2017 10:49AM
FortyTwoBlades
The Stella Bianca files are super hard with very crisp teeth, but the closer in hardness they are to the hardness of the steel you're working the more they'll wear and the slower they'll cut--it's just nature of files, and abrasion in general. The manufacturer does advertise them as being made with a "special" steel that has carbides (not mentioned what kind) for increased wear resistance, but no other information in that regard is given. Boy howdy do they cut, though! I've used my personal ones for dealing with several axes, some of which are hardened to 58 RC, and it takes little steel curls off them so crisp that they sparkle like glitter and "felt" up with each other in a way that makes it vaguely resemble fine steel wool. Kind of surprised they aren't better known.

Yeah, I bought them from you recently... thanks a bunch. What exactly were you doing with them on the axe? Grinding the edge bevel to remove damage? I had in mind doing major work such as changing blade profile to something else or regrinding established bevels. Would it be advisable to break hard corners with a stone first to limit damage to the file?
March 27, 2017 11:48AM
I used it for repairing edge damage. Filing off the edge to get rid of nicks then filing back into the cheeks to restore the bevel and bring it back to an apex. It can help to break sharp rolls a little with a stone, but as long as it's not getting stuck or chattering then it's not hurting the file. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login