Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Knife Robot

Posted by Chum 
Knife Robot
March 08, 2017 11:00AM
Ed Schempp has been posting about the Knife Robot on FB....

[www.facebook.com]

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
Re: Knife Robot
March 08, 2017 03:50PM
looks interesting. another start-up looking for money. products won't be available till October.

scott
[www.etsy.com]
Re: Knife Robot Auto Sharp the wicked edge pro work sharp killerspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 08, 2017 06:00PM
Cool gizmo
seem to be fully funded in one day
looks very simple, but still 5 minutes? Dang thats slow tongue sticking out smiley
Thats only 96 knives per 8 hour shift
and belt only lasts 100 sharpenings?
And takes 2 minutes to change? tongue sticking out smiley
10eye rolling smiley degrees to 45 drinking smiley per side?
Patent US8915766 - Automatic knife sharpener and a method for its use

____
Thanks
I don't mow smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 06:02PM by ShaperAndMower.
Re: Knife Robot Auto Sharp the wicked edge pro work sharp killerspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 04, 2017 09:39AM
Can't wait for the John Henry vs Steam hammer style sharpening competitions with a robot. Gunna be some quality content.
August 07, 2017 07:25PM
If you look at how it actually works, this is all it does :

-make a pass on coarse belts (no coolant) until a burr is formed
-make a pass one fine belts to remove (?) the burr

It basically replaces you holding a knife and using a $30 belt sander, add a jig if you want to be fancy.
Re: Knife Robot
August 09, 2017 05:36AM
this guy isn't even using a robot. just moving blade back and forth, and tilting table.
I brought home some used linear bearings and rails to do something like this, but gave up once I saw all the variables you would have to deal with.

I think people who have not worked with robots think they are more capable than they are. a robot must be 'taught' every move. the move could be a straight line or an arc. for sharpening, you would have to use the grinder by hand to get an idea of how fast it grinds, how fast to move the blade against the belt, and how much pressure to use. then you can tell the robot how to move blade to grinder. then 2 ways to go. one would be do 'x' strokes on side 1, do 'x' strokes on side 2. other way would be use a vision system to detect burr or use a go/no go gauge that would tell robot to repeat or stop.

my experience is with Motoman UP-50 robots. to 'teach' the robot, you define start position, move using joystick, then define the end of that move. then continue with the next move you want. all equipment working with the robot communicates with yes/no. example for loading a press:
r to p: I have parts
p to r: I am ready or wait
r to p: i am placing parts don't cycle
r to p: i am clear, ok to cycle
p to r: press cycles and tells robot to wait

scott
[www.etsy.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login