Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Excavator shear, steel geometry help.

Posted by KWB 
KWB
Excavator shear, steel geometry help.
April 14, 2017 08:44AM
So I have been doing a lot of land clearance work as of late and with that comes stump removal. So I figured we could make one of these [goo.gl] and with this we have a thumb on our machine which I had planned to mount a removal half moon shaped blade. Here is an equivalent machine [youtu.be] you can see he has a thumb that is where I plan to mount the removal blade which will intersect between the above image.

My question is how thick of stock would it need to be? The blade will need to be around 12in high and 12 in wide. I have looked and cant find a thumb with a blade much less want to spend the money they want for it if they did.

Should note the bucket breakout force is over 6000 lb ft, and the load may not always vertical some may see lateral force as well.

Since I dont have one of these [goo.gl] this is my solution to consolidate brush and stumps for loading out later.

Contact 570-486-9095

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2017 08:48AM by KWB.
Re: Excavator shear, steel geometry help.
April 15, 2017 06:00AM
I ve never designed an excavator blade, but at these things where little details do not contribute
to the overall fuction in a way as when we speak about cutting instruments, many times
the most effective solution is to simply observe the design that already works well,
and then only slightly modify it to whatever the needs are.

12inches high means long ?

What steel would you make it from ?
Guess I would make it from simple carbon at about 0.45 C,
so in US think it is AISI 1045 or so..

There have to be a tables containing a transverse rupture strength of such common materials
as 1045 for various dimensions. Also try to find some papers on 3point bend strength of similar
materials. Out of these you can estimate/calc the values..

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
KWB
April 18, 2017 04:54AM
An industry standard is ar400.

Thats what I believe it may need to be however the shorter the better the durability.

Looking similar to this [goo.gl]

Contact 570-486-9095
KWB
April 28, 2017 06:03PM
This project is kinda on hold talked to AMI attachments a two tooth ripper is $1900.

Contact 570-486-9095
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login