Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My thoughts after some time with my Manix 2

Posted by marthinus 
Re: My thoughts after some time with my Manix 2
November 13, 2012 04:48AM
styx
No, I just saw the ZT560 thoughts. Left a comment on that vid

Thanks for watching. I meant the Axis lock tests that were done a few years ago, not by me, but by another guy on youtube. Either way. I have the videos on the home PC (I hope!) and will upload them for you to watch.
November 13, 2012 05:27AM
If you mean Neptuneknives then I have seen them. From what I remember back locks had a lot of problems in those conditions
November 15, 2012 02:31AM
Styx. Sending you a PM regarding those youtube videos I am talking about. I cant seem to upload them again or convert.
April 17, 2013 12:14PM
Just a thought I wanted to put out there that was pounded home by Cliff and his explanations. I have found that regardless of steel choice "most" of my production knives straight from the factory tend to roll the edges with minor use. Yet after a sharpening or two the steel really preforms well. I am lead to believe that Cliff is correct in that many of these companies burn the edges during sharpening. Not intentionally of course but by virtue of using power tools to quickly sharpen the knives.

I believe most of the "154 is crap, s35 is crap, etc" is based on "data" from people using the factory edge.
April 18, 2013 09:34AM
When you look at ZT alone they have done a marvelous thing of managing the collaboration names carry their marketing. Quality and price aside, the first thing you'll hear anyone say is the name of the designer and then add "bomb-proof". Damn I wish I could get a bunch of ZT knives and some explosives to really test that claim
April 18, 2013 09:39AM
I do blasting all the time (not personally, but I supervise it). I could easily blow up a few knives. Considering that we have to blast through up to 8' of solid granite I don't think what amounts to a few scrap pieces of steel and plastic would post a problem.

On a really amusing note, imagine taking the XM from Hinderer, starting a video with a quote on bombproof design and semi-seriously conducting said experiment, one of these days I am going to be in a whimsical mood.

(drill a hole in the granite, drop in the XM-18, pack with explosives, cover with blasting mats - engage said explosives)
April 18, 2013 09:57AM
What are you waiting for? That would be better than your wd40 wood chopping video.
On an amusing note can you imagine the knife surviving? Oh would those operators ever have a field day.!!!!
April 18, 2013 11:47AM
Yep everyone would yell that it's abuse but wouldn't stop using the "bomb-proof" comment
cKc
April 18, 2013 10:55PM
I never got around to doing a review or video of the ZT0560, even when I also had the XM-18

A couple of points.
the ZT is actually the size of the XM-24, so a comparison would have been a waste of time.

I found the ZT very uncomfortable to me because of the aggressive texturing of the G10, and around the jimping. Overall, it was a well made knife. I did smash the side off the lockbar with that test, but it still locks up moderately well. a tiny bit of slip, but normal light spine whacks dont make it fail.

The edge was thick, but it still cut quite easily though cardboard etc.

I reground the sabre to a near Zero grind before posting to cliff. this had a big impact on ease of cutting paper, and cardboard.

My Biggest gripe and hate, is probably the thing all the other youtubers love the most.. The Bearings Pivot system and flipper. I hate them. its TOO smooth.. smooth to the point of lacking safety. I dont like a blade that when closing is so free moving that if I dont pay attention it will guillotine my finger before I have time to move it. if the lock does fail even slightly, it would close so fast.. (only the flipper guard protects you there fortunately)

I much much prefer the smooth sticky nature of a CRK knife that opens and closes well, but wont move byitself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
January 25, 2017 03:24AM
This knife has seen regular use throughout the years.

Here was a picture taken some time ago.

Tip broke when it fell. DLC was worn as I used the knife to dig up roots in the garden. Nothing else really did any damage to the DLC.

The above are the most recent pictures. I pushed up the hollow to get better slicing performance, but not really thinned out the edge at all.

Some thoughts.

- The knife has a very secure grip.
- The lock, though for some people a bit stiff has remained very stable, even with dirt in it and with minimal wear.
- Though it rides a bit wide in the pocket for some this has not been an issue for me.
- 154CM has been fine for my uses with little to no chipping in the 10-12 dps.
- The knife has remained smooth, though with some slight side to side play from the beginning I have never taken the knife apart and have had little maintenance done, ie. I barely need to ad lube or such. A normal dish washing detergent, warm water route and bobs your uncle.
March 18, 2017 04:19AM
Sounds like it's giving good service.

How often do you find yourself using the ziptie to open the knife?

How do you think the Manix compares to the Paramilitary for your use?
April 09, 2017 09:08AM
chad234
Sounds like it's giving good service.

How often do you find yourself using the ziptie to open the knife?

How do you think the Manix compares to the Paramilitary for your use?

Thr ZipTie is a fun aspect more than anything else for me. Though interesting it has stayed on far longer than anticipated.

Manix vs the Para, it depends but I generally go for the Manix more. Just fits my hand better.

I will mention though that I carry the original Gayle Bradley far more than any other Spyderco.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login