Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spyderco Military: One Year In Review

Posted by Bugout Bill 
Re: Spyderco Military: One Year In Review
August 30, 2014 01:37PM
A brief update:

The Military has been my main EDC knife for about the last month or so and a couple of mildly interesting details have emerged.

In terms of carry, I have switched the method that I use to open the knife, preferring to use what is known as the "spydie drop" as opposed to a flick or finger opening. On a knife of this size, I feel that this offers the most secure and safe method for opening the military in close quarters or during adverse weather.

The other observation occurred during my last week of work when I was doing landscaping. I had forgotten to carry my multitool for most of the week, and I had a fair bit of weedwacker line and wire to cut throughout that day. I decided to experiment with using the Military as a wire cutter. By placing the line against the scales and the back of the handle against my palm, the Military proved to be a reasonably effective wire cutter, even on thin metal line. The blade sustained some very minor chipping at the very apex of the edge from metal wire, while some noticeable dents were made in the G10. Metal liners would have likely been better for this application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
August 30, 2014 01:37PM
A brief update:

The Military has been my main EDC knife for about the last month or so and a couple of mildly interesting details have emerged.

In terms of carry, I have switched the method that I use to open the knife, preferring to use what is known as the "spydie drop" as opposed to a flick or finger opening. On a knife of this size, I feel that this offers the most secure and safe method for opening the military in close quarters or during adverse weather.

The other observation occurred during my last week of work when I was doing landscaping. I had forgotten to carry my multitool for most of the week, and I had a fair bit of weedwacker line and wire to cut throughout that day. I decided to experiment with using the Military as a wire cutter. By placing the line against the scales and the back of the handle against my palm, the Military proved to be a reasonably effective wire cutter, even on thin metal line. The blade sustained some very minor chipping at the very apex of the edge from metal wire, while some noticeable dents were made in the G10. Metal liners would have likely been better for this application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

December 20, 2016 08:22PM
A brief update:

My employer has switched over to snow removal for the season, so I have elected to carry the Military when out and about during snow events. Overall, this has proven to be an excellent choice for that role. Even in relatively heavy insulated work gloves, the Military is very easy to operate, as well as having good ergonomic characteristics when cutting.

The most surprising aspect, however, has been the stain resistance of S30V. The primary use of the knife has been cutting open bags of ice melt (potassium chloride, calcium chloride, and sodium chloride). After a 10 hr shift, the blade already had some light staining. After every even concludes, I thoroughly flush the knife with hot water and then blow dry with compressed air.

The top is D2 sprayed with Ballistol, used for the same work.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

December 21, 2016 07:00AM
Nice update. I like the salt-crusted Millie pic you posted on ig, surprised it held up so well to that stuff. I got some staining on my s30v Chaparral. Not exactly sure how/by what, but I suspect maybe I left too much coarseness in the finish when I did my regrind on it, which may have reduced the corrosion resistance somewhat.

I'm fond on my Military, in part because it's my only left-hand liner lock, but it doesn't see a ton of use because I have a desk job and usually carry smaller blades for edc.

-Nate
December 21, 2016 08:34PM
Nate: Thanks. I was rather surprised by how quickly it stained.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 09, 2017 02:10AM
Military remains a workhorse knife smiling smiley Love the use it is seeing. The rust just adds character IMO. smileys with beer So tired of always seeing pristine knives.
January 10, 2017 09:46PM
Marthinus: Thanks. It is a workhorse for sure.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

January 11, 2017 06:45PM
Working tools. Thanks for the update.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login