Advanced

Glock Feldmesser

Posted by Bugout Bill 
Glock Feldmesser
August 10, 2014 06:40AM
Somehow I have never posted this review:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Additional comments:

-Much more of an excavation tool or pry bar than an actual knife. The ergonomics are much better suited for that kind of work than wood work or general utility.

-It is a tough steel, like bend 45 degrees and return to true tough. The blade resharpens easily and takes little impact damage.

-Very useful sheath, but carry options are somewhat limited.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
Re: Glock Feldmesser
August 10, 2014 06:49AM
I'd venture to say the steel is most likely 55Si7 which is a very common 0.55% C (with some Si added) european spring steel that is used by many manufacturers, notably Eickhorn, for their military contracts.
August 10, 2014 06:52AM
Bubo: Thank you. It is good to know what sort of steel it actually is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

August 10, 2014 07:02AM
I can't find original source anymore, but it's likely a steel in this class.
Noss did a destruction test: [www.youtube.com]
Those knives are hardened for toughness, but they are also under hardened to the point (53HRC range) it shows in edge stability.
As you noted, makes an affordable blunt tool, particularly considering those are still made in Europe afaik.
August 10, 2014 07:58AM
Now that you have been using the MT151, do you consider it to be a better hard use knife?
August 10, 2014 08:14AM
Chad: The MT151 was a gift, so I didn't do a whole lot of work with it.

From what I have done, the MT-151 is a better knife, the Feldmesser is better for prying, digging, ect. The handle and sheath are more durable on the Feldmesser too.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

August 10, 2014 07:49PM
..and the handle and sheath are made from the same stuff that the pistols are made from...

Polyputthekettleron...grinning smiley
September 28, 2014 08:47AM
Bugout Bill
Somehow I have never posted this review:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Additional comments:

-Much more of an excavation tool or pry bar than an actual knife. The ergonomics are much better suited for that kind of work than wood work or general utility.

-It is a tough steel, like bend 45 degrees and return to true tough. The blade resharpens easily and takes little impact damage.

-Very useful sheath, but carry options are somewhat limited.

I love mine. I first got the "survival knife" version - #81, with the saw back. At it came, the edge was not useful for wood carving / making shavings for firelighting. But even so it was great fun and very useful. Useful for batoning logs (long with thick spine), sawing through tree roots to create poop pits while backpacking, throwing at dead trees etc.

I later got the non-sawback version, #78.

I've now put a thinner, convex, edge on both. They can both make shavings / carve very well now. The #78 is better for carving as you can put your thumb on the spine to press hard - it hurts too much with the sawback on the 81.

Some people seem to hate these knives, there is possibly variance in quality. Both of mine came with dolphin-nose tips, not sharp as such but plenty enough for sticking when throwing at things. Doesn't bother me, I like the robustness of the tip, I am not going to try to make it needle sharp. Also, some people claim they can't get theirs sharp, or even that the metal is so poor it 'self-blunts' in storage!

All I know is mine are really great now I've put a convex edge on them. I've just pulled one out now and tried to shave with it, after not using it for a couple of weeks. I think the last time I used it was to make lots of tiny shavings for tinder. It just shaved hair off my arm easily.

A knife that can survive being thrown, batoned, can cut through roots to make pits for poop or fire, can survive being hammered point-first in spite of having a short tang and polymer handle, and can be reprofiled for general wood carving for bushcraft type use, and most of all can open bottles of beer. Great, great fun, and very useful.

I can see people being disappointed with these if they see a knife as being a cutting implement. But as a very useful piece of plastic and metal, they are hard to beat, I think. And with work, they also make very respectable cutting implements.
September 28, 2014 10:24AM
AdamJ: Thank you for yer detailed review of the 81, it seems to be the more maligned knife.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login