Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

large cleaver from Old Sailor's Knives

Posted by oldsailorsknives 
large cleaver from Old Sailor's Knives
September 16, 2014 09:52PM
hi, my favorite kitchen knife.
[drive.google.com]
blade is aldo's 1084, 1/8"x6"x 2 1/2", sabre grind at 7 1/2 degrees per side, hardened to Rc62, full tang. the handle is 5 1/2" x 1" x 7/8" with 3/32" stainless steel pins, wood is dogwood with satin polyurethane finish. it is a heavy knife, the balance is blade forward. the pictures with the electronic protractor were taken after some clowns on another site wanted to know how I knew the combined blade angle was 15 degrees, a much steeper grind than there store bought cleavers.
the blade/handle combination is comfortable to me and allow me to use any grip style i want depending on what i am doing. the handle is for folks with large hands.
the edge is fairly thin and allows me to cut meat and veg paper thin. the edge is tough enough that it has cut frozen foods and chicken bones without damage. i need to touch up the edge every 2 or 3 months.
since i have made this knife, all my other large kitchen knives stay in the drawer. with the exception of a large watermelon, there has been few kitchen task is has not done. it cuts well using either push and pull stroke. it is long enough so i rarely use a sawing motion.
the only disadvantage is the carbon steel that will discolor. my wife and kids are forbidden to use it after i found the cleaver in the bottom of the sink and no one knew who used it last.
thanks for reading,
scott

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 09:56PM by oldsailorsknives.
Re: large cleaver from Old Sailor's Knives
September 17, 2014 09:32AM
That is definitely a no frills design. How would it compare to a custom kitchen knife like something Joe Calton or Kyley Harris would make?
September 18, 2014 05:32AM
Nice job Scott! I like that... it's a little different than normal! does the 45 degrees off of the spine side near the tip serve a purpose? Curious... also, how thin is the actual edge bevel, is it 7.5 dps to zero?
September 18, 2014 06:43AM
good morning,
comparing my work to others, you must understand you are comparing an apprentice to makers with a lot more experience.
i guess it is no frills, most cleavers are. the "standard" design is a rectangle with handle on one side and an edge. the 45degree on the front was done to remove an OOPS when cutting the steel. As best as i can tell it is 7.5 dps to zero, that is my intent and must be the reason it cuts well(i think there is a photo of the blade in a vise with foam on each side so you can see the grind). the pictures with the electronic protractor were for some clowns on a food forum who were shocked that i would post pictures of a homemade cleaver, at least homemade by an american. then, how did i know it was Rc62(average of 6 test points) and 7.5dps?
I have made more cleavers, in 3/32", 1/8", and 5/32" stock. thinking of trying one in 1/16".
i have no patience sometimes, so the list of forums i don't visit any more is a lot longer than the ones i visit regularly. got kicked off a kitchen knife forum for replying to a thread. the person who started the thread wanted a kitchen knife that was sorta like a deba with some features of a gyuto and a nakiri and a honesuki. after about 30posts, i finally posted send me a sketch and i will send a quote. got kicked off for solicting business.
scott
September 19, 2014 07:48AM
Scott, nice job on the cleaver, I like the angle on the tip, it is very distinctive.
September 19, 2014 11:37AM
I very much so like the angled tip too...makes it unique.

Looks like the pinch grip is nice and easy with it too.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
September 19, 2014 08:30PM
i am going to do a pass around/eval of a similar cleaver and a paring knife. post here if interested. will try and have some pictures of the knives tonite or in the morning
scott
September 20, 2014 10:11AM
another cleaver, 5" x 2 1/2" x 3/32" Starrett O1. this one is available for passaround/eval.
[www.dropbox.com]

scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login