Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CRKT Jeff Veff MUK in 2CR13

Posted by jasonstone20 
CRKT Jeff Veff MUK in 2CR13
November 25, 2014 12:18PM
I have been using my CRKT MUK for food prep lately, and I noticed some behavior that didn't make any sense, since it is a full flat grind with a bevel about half the height of a Mora 511. The knife drifts or steers at the end of a cut constantly. Say for instance, you are slicing and apple, it slices straight and then completely veers off at the end, same for slicing cheese. I watched a video in one of the posts on this forum about the naniwa aotoshi green brick of joy, and in the video, it was mention that with cheaper stainless steels, certain sharpening stones can cause this behavior, but the naniwa aotoshi didn't. Anyone have any suggestions? I have finished the stone many different way with different stones, and have not noticed a difference.
Re: CRKT Jeff Veff MUK in 2CR13
November 25, 2014 12:22PM
Does this have a symmetrical primary grind and edge bevel or is one or both of them ground on one side only?
November 25, 2014 12:32PM
Here is a picture:

Mr. Stamp, the grind on the bevel is one both sides, imagine a mora, taller and ffg, with a bevel about half the height of a normal mora bevel. I did notice, while sharpening, that the bevel is ever so slightly hollow ground. I have noticed the same on mora grinds.
November 25, 2014 12:45PM
Unless that knife is asymmetrical ground in some way, or the blade is off set to the handle it isn't obvious why it would skew in a cut, no need to call me by a title by the way.
November 25, 2014 12:48PM
Here is another picture with the Mora 511. I have been having issues with Photobucket, so let me know if there is a problem with the picture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2014 12:51PM by CliffStamp.
November 25, 2014 12:52PM
You need to use the links that PB provides, I just put it in. What does the other side look like if you flip it over?
November 25, 2014 12:53PM
Ok, no title it is. I just feel formal sometimes. The blade/handle is at an angle, not in a staight line with each other, if that is what you mean by off set. I can take a picture edge in, but I don't know if that will show any lack of symmetry.
November 25, 2014 01:00PM
jasonstone20
Ok, no title it is. I just feel formal sometimes.

Ha, if you want to be formal, my title is actually Dr. .

I can take a picture edge in, but I don't know if that will show any lack of symmetry.

I have been poking around, there are some concerns about evenness in the primary grinds. If you look down the blade with the edge up you might be able to see that.
November 25, 2014 03:33PM
Here is the other side of the knife:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2014 03:55PM by CliffStamp.
November 25, 2014 03:40PM
Dr. Stamp! I like the sound of it. Maybe you should title something 'Dr. Stamp and his Magical Mystery Metallurgy' for all the misinformation about metallurgy people refer to as fact. Anyway, the problem I am having with PhotoBucket is that I am using my phone, and the mobile intetface is slow and clunky. Here is an edge on picture:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2014 03:56PM by CliffStamp.
November 25, 2014 03:58PM
The serrations are asymmetric, ground on only one side, they will cause cuts to pull to the side because of uneven force loading.

I only use the title when I am trying to be amusing, I really don't look like I have a doctorate in nuclear physics so it amuses me at times to say it when people ask what I do, because it always prompts the "No, really, what do you do." A friend of mine would always make up crazy jobs whenever someone said that and it never failed to be accepted and that cracked him up to no end.
November 25, 2014 05:58PM
My type of humor! The pull on the cut only happens at the end of the cut. Now the serration are at the back and are chisel ground, but they also angle up and away from the straight part of the blade, so when I cut an apple or a piece of cheese, I don't even touch the serrations. This is why it is such a puzzle.
November 25, 2014 06:25PM
If you try to split an apple in half does the same thing happen?
November 25, 2014 07:54PM
Yes, although I have not been going through the core, just next to it. I think I may have figured this this out though. I have been having an issue with reappearing burrs, if I sharpen a knife the day before, if I check it within a day or two after, the burr has reapprared. So, I was just deburring the MUK, and decided to give a look down the edge, because you had mentioned the asymetry of the serrations. After doing this, I noticed that one bevel looked about 1mm larger than the other, so I messured it, and sure enough, one bevel is 4mm, the other 3mm. Also, the edge, while approaching the serrations, veers into the chisel edge of the serrations slighlty, like you see on some overseas knives.
November 26, 2014 05:48AM
It could well also be that the angle at which the handle is offset from the blade is coercing your wrist to rotate or move in an unforseen manner.
November 26, 2014 09:13PM
Yes, that is problably a factor too. Cliff had asked about that I guess before I posted the picture. I think if you add all those things up, it'd cause the issue. Thank you for your input!
November 27, 2014 06:23PM

Here is a perfect example of the issue. True, this is huge, giganic apple, about the size of a grapefruit, but it just illustrates the point.
DK
November 27, 2014 07:13PM
are you using uneven force? like a twisting motion? that would be the only thing besides blade geometry that i would think could cause this effect. there is imprecision in the human hand and its manuevers despite how perfect of a motion is attempted. when it comes to sharpening, i've always heard that it takes an experienced sharpener to create a convex edge but, to me, a v-grind is more difficult as during sharpening, no matter how precise and steady i am, i always end up with a convex grind because apparently i am unsteady to some minute amount. or maybe my stones need flattening but, even with flat stones i have never achieved a freehand v-grind in 26 years of sharpening tens of thousand or perhaps hundreds of thousands of times.

"knives save lives" on youtube
all i want for christmas is more arm hair -DK-
November 27, 2014 07:42PM
No out of the ordinary cutting motion, this is the only knife that does this hence the post. Now it has an offset handle, which can cause it, and also has one bevel a millimeter higher on one side, and it is partially serrated, and that part of the knife is chisel ground, so that can also influence it. I am just wondering if there is any way to correct it.

PS I like your videos and sharening work, Knives Save Lives!
November 27, 2014 09:21PM
I just tried cutting with the apple on the other side of the blade and it cuts much straighter, with almost no steering.
DK
November 28, 2014 08:15PM
thank you. that looks to be a nice knife. i think crkt doesn't get fair enough credit for the fine knives they produce. i've enjoyed several of them. the only one i wasn't fond of was the K.I.S.S. as under a lot of cutting force the knife was very uncomfortable although it was an interestingly engineered knife. sorry i couldn't be of more help.

"knives save lives" on youtube
all i want for christmas is more arm hair -DK-
November 29, 2014 07:47PM
Not a problem. It definetly steers to the right, I am thinking about regrinding the non-serrated portion of the blade to even out the bevels, but right now I don't have access to any power tools, I just have a bastard double cut file.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login