Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Leatherman CS4 Juice

Posted by Bugout Bill 
Leatherman CS4 Juice
May 11, 2015 10:10AM

My old warhorse. I got this about four years ago as a birthday present from my parents, and I can happily say that it has served me pretty well. It ain't perfect, but it does have some functionality advantages over other tools of similar size like a SAK.

General F&F and Long Term Durability

Out of the box, the fit and finish was generally pretty good, with one or two small wear marks in the anodizing. It has obviously gotten more, so I would recommend carrying it in a sheath if you want to keep it pretty. I carry it in my coin pocket, so no real issues. A few of the rivets were a bit proud and there is some slop between the two halves. Fortunately, it has more or less stayed that way. Due to the marvels of Leatherman's ht, the pliers have a tendency to rust, so you do need to keep an eye on it. I am also hesitant to really go ham on the pliers due to an underlying feeling of chinsyness, but those have held up, with no slop or play developing. All the other tools have been fine, no issues with their back springs weakening.

Functionality

Overall. every tool on it works, though some more than others.

Good Tools:

-Scissors are great for cutting light material and hangnails

-Pliers and wirecutters are nice things to have, I have cut barbed wire and string trimmer line with no problems.

-Can opener works well, though it can bend some bottle caps

-Marlin spike is nice for knots and other tasks, works ok as an awl.

OK Tools:

-Knife blade is very thick, but can be zeroed readily. An ok little knife, but easily outperformed by a SAK blade

-Philips Screw driver is easy to access and useful

Bad Tools:

-Saw. Way too coarse to be of a whole lot of use.

-Corkscrew struggles to get good leverage.

-All the other screw drivers can cut your fingers when you try to get them out and are generally difficult to access.

-File. There isn't one on this model. a huge problem.

Conclusion

It's a nice tool, I prefer to carry this over a SAK simply because I find it more useful as a tool, though as a knife I would rather have the SAK. Furthmore, due to the small size and comparable fragility, I would rather have something like a Leatherman Wave or a SOG EOD if I had to only carry one multitool or knife, as opposed to multiple tools.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
Re: Leatherman CS4 Juice
May 11, 2015 10:15AM
That is a goo review bill, I have looked at these before. I think a small pair of pliers and a sak is going to be in my pocket. I keep breaking my wave

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
May 11, 2015 10:34AM
Mark a
That is a goo review bill, I have looked at these before. I think a small pair of pliers and a sak is going to be in my pocket. I keep breaking my wave

Breaking it how?
May 11, 2015 10:54AM
Mark: Snapping the pliers?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

May 11, 2015 11:46AM
i have broken the pliers on several pairs. The one i have now the pivots are all loose and the tools fall open.

May 11, 2015 12:38PM
Mark: What are you doing to break them?

Resident Emerson Fanboi

May 11, 2015 02:16PM
I don't want to say plier related tasks cause it sounds a bit arrogant but, plier related tasks. One time I was trying to undo a nut the next time it was pulling a staple.

May 11, 2015 02:31PM
The leatherman tools generally have needle nose pliers, they are pretty easy to snap, especially since they use some kind of stainless steel and can develop fatigue/stress fractures. I snapped a tip off, Leatherman replaced it. I wasn't even the original owner, I bought it used for $20 and they replaced it with the current version of the Supertool. They customer service they have sets a pretty high standard. I have a Supertool, Wave, Juice, Micro.

The Wave is kind of funny because it has two blade, saw and file all accessible from the outside with the tool closed, all liner locks. However if you open the tool the ergonomics are much nicer as all the corners are rounded. However from a practical point of view, most knife work isn't going to be extensive and the pliers have the most force applied in use. Still, it is a bit amusing the first time you use it compared to the Super tool.
May 11, 2015 02:39PM
Both mine broke in the thicker portion of the pliers not the tip, closer to the cutters

May 11, 2015 03:19PM
Mark-
That is impressive Mark. I am betting flaws in manufacturing if you broke them there.

Cliff-
I have snapped almost every single one of the large flat screwdrivers on all my leatherman tools. Mostly when using it as a screwdriver on flat screws. Once a buddy used it as a pry bar.....it snapped taking a hub cap off a car.
May 12, 2015 07:21AM
Mark: You tried any other multitool brands?

Resident Emerson Fanboi

May 12, 2015 07:24AM
I have used others but never owned anything else. The gerber comes to mind as one that I thought was horribly designed with the sliding pliers.

May 12, 2015 07:32AM
Mark: A buddy of mine has a Gerber, I found its liberal use of plastic components to be a bit worrying. The sliding pliers aren't great, but they seemed to work.

A friend of mine swears by SOG, they seem to have well designed pliers on those.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

May 12, 2015 09:46AM
Kyley said good things about Victorinox ones in the past, perhaps he can chime in about them. I've been curious since but have not yet tried them.
May 12, 2015 10:02AM
I have seen some reviews of the Victorinox and it looks promising.

May 12, 2015 06:52PM
I have owned far too many multitools and the Victorinox Swisstool and Spirit are by far my favorites, except that Leather,an has better screwdrivers. Vnox polishes the heads of the screwdrivers, for some odd reason. Also, LM has a better file.
May 17, 2015 07:06AM
Bill, nice writeup. Mark, how do you like the Supertool 300?
May 17, 2015 07:07AM
I only have a wave

May 17, 2015 09:27AM
Shit, sorry, I meant Cliff. I get names a little jumbled up on occasion. Similar to how I referred to Bill as Chad in another post, it's a bit ridiculous.
May 17, 2015 09:29AM
Ryan: It's ok. We are all Cliff Stamp anyway...

Resident Emerson Fanboi

cKc
May 20, 2015 03:50AM
I think the steel they use fatigues easily in some different ways..

I found a leatherman that was under my spare care tyre, for a year or 2.. (fell down there) and it had been pooled in water and rusted a bit.. I WD40 cleaned it all, but almost all the tools just snapped under light duress..

I tend to never use these types of pliers for anything close to the force even a $5 plier would do.. just dont seem made for that type of thing

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
July 21, 2015 08:31AM
We should get bumber stickers, patches and T-Shirts say 'I Am Cliff Stamp'
July 21, 2015 08:33AM
Or all of us go with the name tag 'Cliff Stamp' to the Blade Show or Bark River Grind In. That would be interesting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login