Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Like an old friend...

Posted by Any Cal. 
Like an old friend...
January 23, 2016 07:27PM
One of my knives that was sold as a second came back for sharpening, so I was pretty excited to see how it did. It was used as the main knife for one of a crew who were butchering several moose. There is nothing concrete to say about it, as it was cutting a combination of meat, gristle, bone, dirty hide, etc. He was really pleased with the performance though, so it will be sharpened up the same way again.

I had put a polished edge on it, so was surprised it did as well as it did, but am thinking that most of the work probably benefited from it. At 100x most of the edge had blunted, over a goodly portion had become even more polished through use. There was some fracture that was along the edge, .001-.003"? deep, no edge rolling. Also some nicks that were likely lateral stesses just in front of the handle and near the tip. He didn't want me to go to a coarser edge, as he prefers the finer one. The fine edge may be helping strengthen the edge, anyway. He does this often, but doesn't mind working the knife hard.

Anyway, it was CPM154 at 61rc with .030 edge at 15dps.

Picture
edge pic

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 07:37PM by Any Cal..
Re: Like an old friend...
January 23, 2016 07:35PM
Any Cal.,
Nice work! Can I ask the grit progression you used?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
January 23, 2016 07:44PM
Sure. And I may be wrong about the polish from use, I could have been seeing some of the fractures reflecting light.

It is typically 220 AlOx off the grinder, then 1k and 5k Shapton pro and a kiss on the Spyderco UF rod. Mostly just wanted the edge to have an impressive bite when it was for sale, wouldn't necessarily have been the way I would have sharpened it specifically for butchering a whole bunch of critters.
January 23, 2016 07:53PM
Nice! Moose are big, if it did more than one, from hunting stories I have read and in knife magazines, that's good performance.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
March 08, 2016 09:54PM
That looks like a great design. Nicely done.
March 09, 2016 03:36AM
Nice looking knife and feedback from the customer.
June 09, 2016 03:32PM
I got this one back, and resharpened it to 600g diamond with a Spyderco UF bevel. Customer didn't like it at all compared to the earlier sharpening. Would have thought the 600 would last longer through gristle and such, but apparently the lack of pushcutting hurt it. FWIW...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login