Some specs:

Blade Thickness: 3 mm
Blade Style: Drop Point
Steel: German 4116
Sheath: Secure-Ex Sheath
Blade length: 4-Inch
Overall length: 8-1/2-Inch

Ergos:

This is a pretty thin little knife, that said, there is some contouring of the grip. Generally fits in hand well, quite comfortable in a variety of grips.

Kraton handle is highly textured, but not overly abrasive. It affords an excellent grip when wet or in gloves, which is mostly what I have on when using it.

Works well in a hammer or sabre grip:

Commentary On Use:

While this is a more expensive option than a Mora (by about $10), I have to admit that I prefer this as a work knife. While the blade profile is somewhat goofy, the thinner stock affords somewhat better cutting ability through thick materials like cardboard or packaging.

OOB sharpness was excellent, easily capable of popping hair off the arm. Yeah, the single bevel grind is training wheels, but it is extremely easy to resharpen when you don't particularly want to sharpen a knife. Being a work knife, that is often. Cold Steel easily does the best "surgical stainless"; the steel grinds easily with the most basic abrasives and takes a crisp edge. The 416 Stainless is generally stainless enough, easily survives prolonged exposure to salt, fertilizer, and other nastiness without cleaning.

I work in the landscaping industry, so this knife sees a lot of dirty, miserable use cutting things. The 4 inch bladed Peacemaker has proven ideal for that role. When cutting weeds, the blade is long enough to be used to slash through a small area, while the high cutting ability afforded by the single bevel grind enables you to easily cut saplings and other woody plants.

Being a fixed blade affords a number of advantages, namely that I can go without cleaning it and not have to worry about the lock failing or gumming up. However, due to this being of relatively thin stock, the Peacemaker lacks some of the prying ability a Mora or similar sharpened pry bar would afford.

The sheath is nothing special, being injection molded plastic with a stainless steel clip. No issues with retention or the sheath dulling the blade.

The knife and sheath fit very nicely in the thigh pocket of my Carhartt work pants; sits very unobtrusively, but remains easy to access. My only complaint would be that the clip is a bit too tight and has a tendency to wear pants pockets. My work clothes are provided, so it doesn't matter to me, but could be a concern.

Conclusions:

The Peacemaker III, despite the usual Cold Steel silliness, has proven to be an excellent working blade. While it is a bit pricier than a Mora Companion, the thinness of the blade and the sheath work a bit better for my uses. Despite my skeptism, I'm a big fan of this knife. I'll use this thing tell it gets wrecked or lost and I will happily buy another. Hell, I'll buy two.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
Re: Cold Steel Peacemaker III - The Tactical Mora
July 21, 2018 04:46PM
Nice review Bill. Price point to performance ratio looks really good for a hard working knife.

Interesting about the sheath not dulling it too. I wonder if they changed the material.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
July 21, 2018 05:07PM
Camber: Thank you.

While the material on this sheath is different (it seems to be a simple plastic), the design is pretty different. Its basically a clamshell that applies retention to the handle. The sheath is nowhere near the blade.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

July 21, 2018 07:14PM
It really bothers me when sheaths dull a knife. I'm glad this one doesn't do that. 3mm is pretty thin, which should make this knife cut well. I was wanting to try one out but wasn't sure about how it would perform, I think I might pick one up now.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
July 21, 2018 08:37PM
Jason: That is an absolute pet peeve of mine. Cold Steel and KaBar are notorious.

You wouldn't regret one. These are a really nice El Cheapo knife.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

July 22, 2018 04:03AM
jasonstone20
It really bothers me when sheaths dull a knife. I'm glad this one doesn't do that. 3mm is pretty thin, which should make this knife cut well. I was wanting to try one out but wasn't sure about how it would perform, I think I might pick one up now.

I have a Peace Maker II, with the 5 1/2"blade. I found it to be an excellent all round field knife, including bushcraft.

The sheath did blunt mine because there are two thin ridges that run along the inside and which make contact with the edge when the blade is inserted or drawn.

I remedied this problem by going in with a narrow wood chisel and gouging out the ridge on the side that it engaged with the edge.

An improvement would be to glue a thin strip of balsa or leather in place of the said ridge. Did this very think with a Kershaw Camp knife and the problem disappeared for good..

Cheers
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2018 04:31AM by john harper.
July 22, 2018 04:26AM
Good idea John. It is mind boggling though any company would send out a knife with a sheath that dulls it.

I

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
July 22, 2018 04:30AM
C Amber
Good idea John. It is mind boggling though any company would send out a knife with a sheath that dulls it.

Well, they are cheap knives..... And the Kershaw was the worst offender by a country mile on account of the hard plastic used for the sheath.

Cheers
Jphn
July 23, 2018 05:53AM
Thank you for the review Bill. I am a fan of cold steels "cheap stuff". Especially since Moras have become rather pricey. I might pick the larger peace maker II up.

Recently pre-ordered a 4" Luzon folder from CS...price was right and it looked neat.
July 23, 2018 05:01PM
Tarantella: That is true about Moras, their marketing department has been earning their pay.

Neat folder buy the way. I really like the blade shape on those.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login