Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Benchmade 806 AFCK Axis Lock in D2

Posted by jasonstone20 
Benchmade 806 AFCK Axis Lock in D2
October 10, 2018 03:29PM
I have had this knife for quite some time, it is a pre-production model and I bought it brand new from the store. It's an Benchmade 806 AFCK Axis lock in D2 steel, with a coated blade and partially serrated. I carried it for a few months and then put it in the safe. Recently, after trying out a Spyderco Military in M4 and having a conversation with Shawn Houston (Big Brown Bear on YouTube and Triple B Knives) about how D2 wasn't a favorite steel of his, I decided to try D2 out. What surprised me about the knife was that it was very thin behind the edge (0.0165"winking smiley, had a fairly close to zero angle (10* DPS), and had close to a mirror polish finish. This knife still had the factory sharpening:

[imgur.com]

This is one of my all time favorite designs. It fits my had perfectly, I really like knives with a negative rake on the blade. It is light for it's size (4" blade) at 4.6oz. The G10 scales are grippy but not abrasive, it has milled steel liners, so it doesn't have the handle bending issue of the original Benchmade 800 AFCK with the titanium liners. I like a big blade, especially if it is partially serrated. I attached a small leather lanyard, and plan to carry this knife for a month to see how I like the D2 steel.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Re: Benchmade 806 AFCK Axis Lock in D2
October 12, 2018 12:31PM
I really like the Benchmade D2. It sharpens easily, polishes easily, and takes a very crisp edge. With the saber/flat grind, after three sharpenings, behind the edge thickness has increased to "0.020 at the heel, "0.025 at the belly, and "0.035 at the tip.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2018 12:47PM by jasonstone20.
October 14, 2018 04:14PM
After a couple scares were I thought I lost this blade, it is going back in the safe, and I am going to go back to the Spyderco Tenacious. I just can't replace the AFCK if I lose it.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
October 14, 2018 04:48PM
That is a good call Jason but just as I was scrolling back up to the header I noticed the subforum we're in and had a good laugh.
October 14, 2018 09:35PM
Luisknivacc,
Right?

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
me2
October 17, 2018 07:50PM
I had one for a while. I didn't like the opening hole, so had benchmade swap out the blade for a TSEK. That was an awesome knife, and one of the few I've worn out. Had the blade replaced again, but only half serrated was available so I sold it after getting it back. I tried to like it, but I can't abide a half serrated blade.
October 18, 2018 09:45AM
me2,
Yeah, it was a all time classic. If you want a similar knife, the Spyderco Military is close. If you don't mind a mid-lock, the Endura or Police model from Spyderco is also a good option. I have a Benchmade Harley Davidson Brand Pika II in G10 with titanium liners, which is basically a mid-lock, smaller version of the AFCK. The Para 2 from Spyderco is also good option if you want a little smaller blade.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
October 19, 2018 09:50PM
The Spyderco Amalgam looks nice also.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
November 29, 2018 10:23AM
So I decided to add the Axis AFCK D2 to my EDC rotation again. I really like the knife and I might as well use it(at least until I get a 4" Spyderco, either a Military, Police, or Resilience), I have a full size and mini liner lock AFCK, so those will have to do for collecting.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2018 10:26AM by jasonstone20.
November 29, 2018 08:06PM
Any thoughts/experience with the k390 of the new police model?
November 29, 2018 08:22PM
Tarantella,
Looks good to me. I haven't used that many high carbide steels yet, just low and medium carbide. From how I use my knives (light use, high sharpness, ease of sharpening, push cutting mostly) I would get the VG-10 version myself, since I keep my knives at a high sharpness and don't let them go below newsprint/phonebook paper push cutting sharpness, so I don't think I would see any benefit from high carbide steels. That being said, high carbide steels definitely have their place and use, just like all the cutlery steels.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2018 08:23PM by jasonstone20.
November 30, 2018 07:56AM
Well, I am figuring out why I prefer this knife, although slowly, which is weird, since I use to EDC an AFCK for years. First, the handle indexes and balances right on the handle cutout for the index finger, along with a negative rake to the handle and blade. Second, it has a very pointy tip to the blade, which makes it super easy to initiate cut with the tip. Third, the clip point style blade along with the negative rake centers the point when held in hand, and it allows for very deliberate and predictable use in cutting.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
December 02, 2018 11:51AM
me2,
I have found that with the oval opening hole, if I slowly open the blade with continuous thumb contact, it isn't as comfortable the round opening hole, however if I just flick open the knife with the thumb I don't notice any difference.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
December 02, 2018 12:59PM
jasonstone20
me2,
I have found that with the oval opening hole, if I slowly open the blade with continuous thumb contact, it isn't as comfortable the round opening hole, however if I just flick open the knife with the thumb I don't notice any difference.

The most likely you dont have time to feel it. Perhaps if flick open it like 50 times in a row may
feel it after as the skin is more worn or something. But in a real use there is no need to open
the knife 50 times a day..

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
me2
December 02, 2018 05:33PM
My main issue with the opening hole was the beveled edges. My thumb just kept slipping out.
December 03, 2018 01:53PM
me2
My main issue with the opening hole was the beveled edges. My thumb just kept slipping out.

Makes sense, never experienced this but I use folders rather sporadically..
As thinking of it now hole with radiused/chamfered edges should be bigger
so there is more area to catch/push into.. then it will be both comfortable
and easy to operate in any conditions.. But angle of the chamfer matter too !

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
December 03, 2018 03:19PM
me2,
My AFCK with round hole is like that, heavily beveled but shallow. The oval hole model is beveling is much steeper, you have to look closely to even notice it. I do have rather small hands, so that could be to my benefit.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 03:21PM by jasonstone20.
December 03, 2018 07:14PM
Steel use update:

Well, I am noticing some positives and negatives with this steel.

Pros:
  • Easy to sharpen
  • takes a great edge
  • polishes nicely
  • wears by chipping

Cons:
  • wears by chipping

I haven't noticed any problems with toughness or corrosion, although the blade is coated.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
December 13, 2018 07:12PM
After carrying this knife for a few weeks, I think I am done carrying it for a while. I found out what I wanted about the steel, how it wears, how it sharpens, and how it cuts. Definitely one of my favorite knives of all time.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
December 16, 2018 07:16PM
Some nice looking 806's:

[www.instagram.com]

I would really like to own one of these special edition AFCK's.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
January 01, 2019 11:32AM
I recently acquired a 90s production Benchmade 806S. The hype is real. Easily the best design Benchmade ever produced. Lightweight, good ergos, and beautiful aesthetics.

Jason: Interesting comparison to the Spyderco Military. Indeed, the "spyderco-ness" of the AFCK is really noticeable on the liner lock version. If I remember correctly, the AFCK was originally pitched to Spyderco by the designer, but they weren't interested.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login