Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189

Posted by stefan_wolf 
Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189
January 06, 2019 03:59AM
Almost an year ago I swapped my Pacific salt in H1 steel for Endura 4 in ZDP-189.
On of the great thing about the Pacific salt is that 0 maintenance is required except frequent sharpening. Water, dearth, grime, oils - no worries...
ZDP-189 rusted on me on several occasions - on my summer vacation on the bulgarian beaches I observes in real time small pitting while I was sipping from my bear near the sea.
A couple of months ago I forget it in cup of water with dish soap for 4-5 hours and I had small pieces missing from the very apex of the edge - so I wasted metal for couple of regular sharpenings just to cover my mistake...

In the video you can see traces of ongoing pitting on the jimping, on the heel of the blade and on the sides of the blede near the pivot point.

The lockbar has poor surface finish.
The spring bar is deformed on the contact point.
The locking bar is rubbing only on 1/6 of the with of the blade tang.

The knife works just fine.
It locks solid with no side to side blade play.
I can feel and see small but noticeable up-down movement which is pretty annoying when cutting on a board.
It cuts well and long.
To be sharpen with Norton Crystolon stones is easy and quick. Finishing with translucent Arkansas give me good enough initial sharpness.

...but for 120$ I expected a little better internal fit and finish from Spyderco...

The new Native 5 Salt is out for 120$ but too short blade for me, and why 3.2mm thick stock ???
I hope to see Pacific salt in Lc200n this year. Until then zdp-189 will be my champion of choice to tackle daily choirs...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189
January 06, 2019 06:07PM
Interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
sal
January 06, 2019 06:59PM
Hi Stefan,

Thanx for the input, and for the support. Sorry for the issues. Our Seki makers are good, but I think Golden might be better on fit and finish. ( we hold 3/10,000" tolerance on our Golden lockbacks ) ZDP has lots of chrome, but also lots of carbon, so the chrome is eaten up by chrome carbides and rusting can be a problem, the up-side is edge retention.

The Native has always had 3+mm stock so the Salt is the same. Now that we've made some Salts in Golden, there will probably be more in the future.

I'm also hoping for an LC200N Pacific Salt this year, but it's far more complicated than it might appear. But I'm steady working on it., I did get a couple of prototypes and the last one is pretty good. Now we have to figure out how to get European steel to Japan and keep everyone happy.

sal
January 06, 2019 10:33PM
sal
Hi Stefan,

Thanx for the input, and for the support. Sorry for the issues. Our Seki makers are good, but I think Golden might be better on fit and finish. ( we hold 3/10,000" tolerance on our Golden lockbacks ) ZDP has lots of chrome, but also lots of carbon, so the chrome is eaten up by chrome carbides and rusting can be a problem, the up-side is edge retention.

The Native has always had 3+mm stock so the Salt is the same. Now that we've made some Salts in Golden, there will probably be more in the future.

I'm also hoping for an LC200N Pacific Salt this year, but it's far more complicated than it might appear. But I'm steady working on it., I did get a couple of prototypes and the last one is pretty good. Now we have to figure out how to get European steel to Japan and keep everyone happy.

sal

Sal,

Thank you for the information.

I like how spyderco makes business and I like how they treat their customers so for me was important to give a feedback as satisfied customer. Although the minor blemishes can affect the happiness with the product they do not affect how secure, fast and easy my knife works which for me is the most important thing when you work with a cutting tool. Keep the good work. I'm waiting lc200n Pacific salt as bread from the oven. Have a great 2019. Stefan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login