Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reground Delica

Posted by me2 
me2
Reground Delica
June 14, 2020 12:55PM
I finally reground my Delica. I dropped the edge bevel down from maybe 7 degrees per side to 5 dps. I started with a 40 grit belt then went to a 120 to clean and polished it up. I like a uniform medium finish. Razor Edge Knives are excellent to me and I tried to mimic that. I also clipped the tip and dropped it down so it didn't stick out of the handle and cut me in the pocket anymore. I'm currently rebeveling it to 12 dps from the 17 dps it had previously.

[youtu.be]
Re: Reground Delica
June 14, 2020 03:18PM
Clean work. Well done!
me2
June 14, 2020 04:10PM
Thanks. I looked back at when I started. It took 18 months to finish it. It should be near perfect, but I can see things I could have done better. There is a point however where you just have to say I know better for next time. This has reached that point.

I considered just getting a new one, but this knife has some sentimental value, so I wanted to regrind it and take it out of the retirement drawer.
me2
June 14, 2020 04:18PM
I measured the BTE (behind the edge) thickness and it was close to what the measurements during grinding predicted. 0.015" with a 12 dps bevel.
me2
June 18, 2020 08:22PM
I forgot part of the reason I like this knife so much. It carries very well. It fits in the pocket well, and has a full 4 finger grip handle. As a contrast, the blade is now the same length as my Byrd Slip-it, but the full size handle gives the Delica higher marks. I plan to regrind the Slip-it this weekend. It will just get an 8 dps back bevel. That should undo the damage I did with the edge-pro home made guide.

The edge sharpened up very sharp off the King 1000 then the Sharpmaker medium at 15 dps. I've carried it this week at work and had no trouble. The tip is quite fine now and this would be a good splinter knife. The flaws I mentioned are going to bug me, and I sort of want to go thinner, like below 0.01" behind the edge. I may have to get rid of this knife to save it from me. I'll keep an eye on the edge thickness and when it gets to 0.025 or so, I'll thin it again. Until then, it seems a very good EDC knife for me.
me2
June 22, 2020 08:20AM
Works better than new. I used it to break down some boxes over the weekend. It needs sharpening but still will slice paper no problem. The thinner edge worked well and the handle is much better for heavy work than the Byrd Slip-it. I have to clean the glue off and then I'll see how easy it resharpens. The initial one after the regrind doesnt count as that was a rebevel too.
me2
June 24, 2020 06:42AM
I used some mineral spirits to clean the blade and resharpened it on the 1000 King stone and Sharpmaker Medium rods. Mineral spirits basically cuts the glue and stuff instantly. I wish I'd known this years ago.

Resharpening took 80 passes per side on the 1k stone and about 15 pps on the Sharpmaker. I was going to try to go to the fine stones, but the medium stones work so well, I don't want to chance a bad pass and starting over. I plan to give my Cold Steel Voyager the same treatment, but at the 17/20 degree slots on the Sharpmaker. On the Delica this procedure gives an edge that will catch hair above the skin from both sides of the blade in just 2 steps.
cKc
June 24, 2020 06:50AM
What steel is the delica?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
me2
June 24, 2020 09:55AM
This one is standard VG10.
June 24, 2020 10:09AM
Speaking of VG 10, when I was doing the passivation tests, the VG 10 Spyderco was very hydrophobic, more than the other steels. It was weird. Maybe I had some oil on the blade or something that didn't come off during the cleaning before the passivation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston
__
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp
__
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes
__
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StoneSharpEdges

Jason D. Stone on YouTube
me2
June 24, 2020 04:55PM
That's something I've never considered. What does that look like?
June 24, 2020 05:02PM
me2,
It didn't change the appearance of the blade. Water just beaded off the blade.

--Shawn Houston
__
--Cliff Stamp
__
--Roman Landes
__
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges

me2
June 24, 2020 06:06PM
How did you passivate it?
June 24, 2020 07:39PM
me2,
50/50 water and vinegar.

--Shawn Houston
__
--Cliff Stamp
__
--Roman Landes
__
--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges

me2
June 25, 2020 03:46AM
Was the mixture heated?
June 25, 2020 05:29AM
me2,
No, just room temperature.

--Shawn Houston
__
--Cliff Stamp
__
--Roman Landes
__
--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges

cKc
June 25, 2020 07:17AM
the beading is interesting. no idea if this is caused by passivation, or if you just had grease or oil on the knife, which would have prevented passivation.. ideally a rubbing alcohol to clean the steel before any such thing is required.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
June 25, 2020 07:32AM
I cleaned the knife with alcohol, the water still beads on it. It might be because of the finish, it looks to be a satin finish on top a mirrored finish.

--Shawn Houston
__
--Cliff Stamp
__
--Roman Landes
__
--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges

June 26, 2020 03:56PM
jasonstone20
Speaking of VG 10, when I was doing the passivation tests, the VG 10 Spyderco was very hydrophobic, more than the other steels. It was weird. Maybe I had some oil on the blade or something that didn't come off during the cleaning before the passivation.

I noticed the same thing with Cliff's passaround Fallkniven H1 in VG-10, definitely strange stuff.
July 02, 2020 11:38PM
Nothingman
jasonstone20

I noticed the same thing with Cliff's passaround Fallkniven H1 in VG-10, definitely strange stuff.

Its normal when surface roughness is below certain level..
It starts to appear at P1000 satin finish for me and once blade
mirrors despite its not a clean mirror it already behaves that way..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x708e439gh0ygaz/20200209_030201_001_001.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/flwtfhhx1svhdvg/20200209_030201_002.mp4?dl=0

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
July 03, 2020 08:38AM
JSCT,
Yes, like that. Weird effect.

--Shawn Houston
__
--Cliff Stamp
__
--Roman Landes
__
--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges

me2
July 05, 2020 09:52AM
An update on the fairly coarse finish I left on this knife. I have been working in Cherokee running up and down 8 floors of ladders for the last week. I noticed the side of the blade nearest my body would have condensation on it. This side showed some small rust spots earlier today. They came off with a scotch brite pad. Next regrind I'll likely finish finer, 320 or 400 grit if I can find it locally. I don't remember this happening when I carried it before, but I haven't carried it in several years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login