Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kinds of Food for Getting an Idea About How a Knife Really Cuts

Posted by jasonstone20 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Kinds of Food for Getting an Idea About How a Knife Really Cuts
June 09, 2015 02:17PM
I watched a YouTube a few months ago, with a guy using a pineapple to see how his ZT cuts. Then the other day I was preparing a breakfast for the community, and was using a dollar store chefs knife I had sharpened, and I cut the pineapple in a similar manner, where you cut around the eyes and save as much fruit as you can, and it gave me a clearer idea of how the knife performed, due to the differering textures and not to mention slippery juice. I would've included chicken preparing video's, but since I don't eat meat, I rarely prepare whole chickens, and I barely know what I and doing if I do have to cut one up. Also, the shock of Jeremy's Chicken vs. AEBL .004 test hasn't worn off! winking smiley
So any other suggestions of how to get a decent idea of cutting through different foods?

[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]
Re: Kinds of Food for Getting an Idea About How a Knife Really Cuts
June 09, 2015 02:47PM
Potatoes for seeing how well the knife avoids food sticking to the flats.

Tomatoes to test sharpness.

Coconuts to test edge stability from chopping.

Watermelons to test for throwing... because the explode nicely.

Citrus fruits to test for corrosion resistance.

Kiwis (skinning) to test how easy/difficult the knife is to control during finer tasks.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
June 09, 2015 06:22PM
Chum-
Do you think that there's one that you can test almost everything on? I think the pineapple is pretty good for assessing most EDC tasks, and I agree with the potato, tomato, and whole coconut(especially for a combat/utility/soldiers/field knife) . I have yet to try the watermelon for throwing knives, but it sounds workable.
June 09, 2015 10:05PM
If you think a little about performance you can evaluate the performance of a knife on almost any material. For example on a simple potato :

-if the knife is very sharp it will make the initial cut very easily
-the cutting ability influences how easy it is to push the knife through the potato
-turning the knife to peel the potato shows the versatility in curved cuts
-dicing shows the stability in deep cuts

Just think about sharpness and cutting ability, use a few knives with different levels and watch how they perform.
June 09, 2015 10:14PM
Chum
Potatoes for seeing how well the knife avoids food sticking to the flats.

Tomatoes to test sharpness.

Same in my kitchen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
June 12, 2015 10:53AM
What Cliff says makes sense except it leaves out heavy work like chopping and batoning. I'm not sure what veggy you could test on for batoning though.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
June 12, 2015 11:11AM
Chum
. I'm not sure what veggy you could test on for batoning though.

Pumpkin is good test for handle comfort + blade stiffness and rigidity

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
June 12, 2015 01:32PM
I like to use carrots to test to see if im getting the grinds thin enough. if the blade is too thick, it will start the cut and then at some point the blade will split the carrot instead of cutting it. nice and thin will cut straight to the board.

Performance above all else!!!
CaltonCutlery.com
CaltonCutlery@yahoo.com
April 06, 2017 06:48PM
I saw this interesting cutting test using lots of different knives and steels using coconuts:

[youtu.be]

This reminds of the line 'real world cutting' on forums that people are always asking for.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
April 07, 2017 02:41AM
jasonstone20
I saw this interesting cutting test using lots of different knives and steels using coconuts:

[youtu.be]

This reminds of the line 'real world cutting' on forums that people are always asking for.

Nice

he sharpens using white lansky rods at 20 dps I think smiling smiley
Hướng dẫn mài dao bằng thanh sứ - ceramic - YouTube

____
Thanks
I don't mow smiling smiley
April 07, 2017 03:57AM
ShaperAndMower,
Nice. I have that same sharpener, I like it a lot. I have the coarse diamond rods and white ceramic. I also have a pocket version with Medium (gray) ceramic rods.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
April 07, 2017 07:34AM
jasonstone20
ShaperAndMower,
Nice. I have that same sharpener, I like it a lot. I have the coarse diamond rods and white ceramic. I also have a pocket version with Medium (gray) ceramic rods.

So do your "grey" stones also have white tips? Or is he using the "white" stones?

____
Thanks
April 07, 2017 04:59PM
ShaperandMower,
He is using very loaded white stones.

April 07, 2017 10:03PM
In general any hard root vegetable is good to see
the cutting performance (how easily can be blade sliced / pushed to the board)
and stickage..

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
April 07, 2017 10:24PM
jasonstone20
ShaperandMower,
He is using very loaded white stones.

I think that could explain some of the rapid dulling he seems to experience in the first 10 videos
as I don't think young coconuts are that abrasive

In the 10th video he finally gets a good handle and is able to finish a coconut in ~40 "slices"
Anh Huynh's puukko D2 edge retention test - YouTube

conclusion so far, the handle should be fat, the edge should be thin, not the other way around smiling smiley

____
Thanks
April 07, 2017 11:29PM
April 07, 2017 11:35PM
ShaperAndMower: "conclusion so far, the handle should be fat, the edge should be thin"

Classic. For most cutting, I agree. I have come to realize that thin edges are the only ones that cut like I want. Most of the commercial knives' edges are too thick for me. There are some notable exceptions. Some Spyderco knives come with thin edges. Some don't. There are even variations in edge thickness from sample to sample of the same model. That makes buying knives off the internet a crap shoot. Sometimes you get lucky.

I had rather deal with the possible fragility of thin edges than suffer thick ones. That can be a hard lesson to learn. I cracked off several good size chips in the blade of the first Calton parer I bought. I don't think the heat treat was bad. I was whittling some gnarly wood that stressed the thin edge too much laterally. Repaired the blade and my daughter still uses it. She really likes it. Of course, the edge is thicker now, but still thin enough to cut well.
April 08, 2017 12:34AM
If you check out his video with the Opinel, Buck, and Spyderco you see the same thing, he has a way easier time cutting with the Opinel.

Chad,
That is a good selection of foods. What edge finishes are you running and which do you prefer for what?

July 20, 2021 12:20AM
I have found that watermelon rinds can be tough to cut also.

me2
July 21, 2021 12:27AM
Apples tend to split on knives not optimized for kitchen use. I test sharpness in other ways but edge geometry, especially the primary grind, really shows off if it can cut apples into 1/8ths without splitting.
July 21, 2021 12:40AM
Chris,
yeah, apples are a great test bed for edge geometry. Mora's and other Scandi edged knifes almost always fail. You can find some thinner Scandi's however, I don't want to make it seem like they all are thick.

me2
July 29, 2021 12:18AM
No I definitely think some 0.05”/1mm spine Scandi grinds could do it. That’s probably the max for apples. I tried a 0.06” blade and it could almost do it. Carrots and potatoes are another couple for me.
July 29, 2021 01:36AM
Chris,
I have to check how thick my Mora's are. I usually use a Mora 2/0 Classic and an old version 511, even though I own a few more. Also, I am talking about it cracking the apple right before the cut, not completely through the apple or breaking off chunks.

July 31, 2021 07:49PM
hi. been a while since here. i have several scandi grind knives with spine at the handle running 1mm or less. the grind is about 3 degrees per side, so for 1/16" material, it is almost a full flat. the usual from me, O1 at Rc62-63, ajikiri shape, 2oz weight, 4" cutting edge, 35mm blade height at handle, distal taper, lightweight handle. apples a good tester. current favorite is fluffy fresh bread with soft crust. most edges either tear or roll the bread.
i love watching cooking shows where the chef is supposed to be using super knives and you can see strain and effort the uses making a simple cut of meat or veg.
i am sad after reading about Cliff passing.
scott